Mark A. Beliles has assembled an impressive list of some of Jeffersons actions as president.
- Promoted legislative and military chaplains.
- Established a national seal using a biblical symbol.
- Included the word God in our national motto.
- Established official days of fasting and prayer at the state level.
- Punished Sabbath breakers.
- Protected the property of churches.
- Required that oaths be phrased by the words So help me God and be sworn on the Bible.
- Granted land to Christian schools.
- Allowed government property and facilities to be used for worship.
- Used the Bible and nondenominational religious instruction in the public schools. He was involved in three different school districts, and the plan in each required that the Bible be taught in our public schools.
- Allowed and encouraged clergymen to hold public office.
- Funded religious books for public libraries.
- Funded salaries for missionaries.
- Exempted churches from taxation.
- Established professional schools of theology.
- Wrote treaties requiring other nations to guarantee religious freedom, including religious speeches and prayer in official ceremonies.
Hmm, sounds like someone who definitely promoted the separation of church and state, doesn't it???
posted on 02/19/2014 8:30:03 AM PST
("Righteousness exalts a nation . . .")
Exactly, the same left who can rewrite Clinton and Reagan, has an easier time rewriting the Founding fathers.
posted on 02/19/2014 9:42:57 AM PST
(Ben Bradlee -- JFK told me that "he was all for people's solving their problems by abortion".)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson