Skip to comments.Google hit by 70,000 'forgotten' claims
Posted on 07/03/2014 10:21:55 PM PDT by Citizen Zed
More than 70,000 people have already asked Google to delete links about them under Europe's "right to be forgotten" ruling, with some of the world biggest news sites the first to be hit.
BBC economics editor Robert Peston complained that Google had "killed this example of my journalism" after being informed that a 2007 posting about former Merrill Lynch chairman Stan O'Neal had been removed from certain searches in Europe.
The Guardian newspaper also said it had been notified that six links to its stories had been removed from search results, three of them about a 2010 controversy involving a now-retired Scottish Premier League referee.
The newspaper said Google gave it no reason for removing the link or a chance to appeal.
Reports in Europe late on Thursday indicated that Google restored some deleted Guardian story links to search results, indicating the California-based internet titan was refining the right-to-be-forgotten process on the go.
European news organisations have opened fire on Google for removing links to stories from search results in the name of adhering to the court order.
(Excerpt) Read more at money.msn.co.nz ...
Hard to feel sorry for the Googletards
Maybe the news organizations will figure out that they are directing their anger at the wrong people. The EU loves em some censorship.
... or bing.com or duckduckgo.com.
Many search engines just piggyback on google.com, so you need an 'independent'.
I look at this as good news, since it will encourage people to diversify their searches and thereby give google.com some badly needed competition.
Yup, I’m running on DuckDuckGo here - installed a plug-in that makes it the default search engine in Safari. It feels a bit “older” than Google, but... it doesn’t track me!