Skip to comments.Clinton: Bush 'Flat Wrong' About Greenhouse-Gas Emissions
Posted on 12/10/2005 9:53:20 AM PST by John Conlin
Former President Clinton told a global audience of diplomats, environmentalists and others Friday that the Bush administration is "flat wrong" in claiming that reducing greenhouse-gas emissions to fight global warming would damage the U.S. economy.
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
Our greatest President of all time (and as some have recently stated, the true leader of all the world), Bill Clinton beats up the present administration over its stance on the Kyoto Accord. I was sleeping but I dont recall any real, actual action on global warming during his 8 years in office. Did I miss something?
Lets see, the Kyoto Accord has over 150 signatory countries but only about three dozen industrialized nations are subject to binding terms. The fastest growing developing nations of the world, with China and India leading the pack, refuse to restrictions; as does the evil US of A.
And although not widely reported, I dont believe a single country of those three dozen is in compliance with Kyoto and those that are close are there because of their sluggish economies, not due to any real action they have taken. If and when their economies recover (and for Western Europe this may be only after their complete economic collapse), they will blow the top off of their Kyoto limits.
Kyoto is like most UN activities, a farce where illusion is supposed to be accepted as reality and good intentions are all that matters generally about getting other people to do as you want them too, all while you are providing no real value to the world and living a good life on OPM (other peoples money).
Many cynical politicians (yes Virginia, there are such things) gladly support Kyoto since the most likely method of implementation would be some type of carbon tax. In the US alone this could be about a $1 trillion tax increase (probably high hundreds of millions of dollars but it is only money). Money that politicians can then dole out i.e. POWER. If you want to see what to expect, look at what has happened to the money gained by the raping of the tobacco companies. A sad story indeed.
Even if Kyoto was fully implemented and all targets meet, it would only affect temperature by .4 degrees. If one is truly concerned about man-made global warming here are some things to do:
1. Strongly support nuclear power almost zero greenhouse gases. Do have those nasty nuclear waste products that need to be stored safely for around 25,000 years but whats a girl to do? There are always trade-offs, whether we like it or not. And never forget, Teddy Kennedys car has killed more people than the US nuclear power industry.
2. Go get an advanced degree in physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, geology, etc. and help solve the problem by using technology, not wishful Luddite thinking.
3. Change how you live your life do you have more than one house? Sell one. Do you travel often? Stay at home. Definitely keep off those airplanes. How many square feet per person does your household use? Perhaps a smaller home or apartment is in order. Consume less. Give your excess money to me! (sorry for that gratuitous solicitation but I couldnt help)
4. If you get an electric or hybrid car remember that those batteries require a great deal of various metals become a strong supporter of the mining industry and promote the opening of mines throughout the country. Try to remember that milk doesnt come from the grocery store and that electricity doesnt come from the electric outlet. If you like electricity, see #1 above or support drilling for natural gas or mining for coal to create the electricity that so wonderfully pops out of your electrical outlets.
5. Support solar of course only very recently have solar panels begun to produce over the life-time of the solar panel an amount of energy equal to that required to produce the solar panel. Im not good at math but I dont see how this saves energy.
6. Bio-fuels like ethanol Archer Daniels Midland needs your money. See #5 above, consumes as much energy as is produced (some say more). And the gain is?? Keeps other food prices higher than they would be otherwise since the land used to grow the corn would be used for some other purpose, hopefully one that actually provides some value to the world for clarification read about and discover the marketplace. But only the poor are truly affected so we can safely ignore that last point.
7. Wind turbines put them everywhere. Probably affect weather patterns sooner or later and whacks the heck out of birds please support them everywhere you live. As you look out at hundreds of them, think of them as your modern sequoias. I dont know if they too consume more energy than they produce, but who cares whats reality if you can ignore it and feel better about yourself? We have a God-given right to live like this and no one is going to tell us differently. They too use high-tech composites and metals therefore please continue your support for the mining and oil and gas industries.
8. Remember that electrical transmission is costly, both from a physical viewpoint and the lose of electricity as it moves along the lines therefore support all of these energy sources as close to major metropolitan areas as is possible. Oh, and all that copper wire, lets fire up another mine!
9. Of course these taxes, etc. will be a drain on our economy we might be lucky enough to not personally notice it but since a great deal of the worlds economy is based on ours, many of the poor in the world will see their lives take a significant step backwards. But we dont see their death and suffering and the political turmoil it brings so what the heck, crank up the X-box on the big screen, turn up the gas fireplace, open up that expensive wine and relax tomorrow youre flying down to the Caribbean for some well deserved relaxation time from saving the world. It is SO exhausting!
10. Most important of all, start purchasing land about 100 ft. (200?) in elevation above present sea level start planning for your sea-side resort today and youll never be sorry. I live at a mile above sea-level so I wont be too worried. If we can just keep more east and west coast idiots from moving here well be just fine.
WHY does GWB insist on using Clinton for ANYTHING?
Will GWB EVER LEARN?
Oh Willie; The Senate during your administration rejected the Kyoto accord 95-0
Get off the stage and STFU
As we all know, Clinton is an expert with emissions.
Thank goodnes for the internet.
Yeah, Clinton-Gore were such vocal advocates of Kyoto that they never submitted it for ratification.
What a phony!!!!!!!!!!
They must've disconnected something when they operated on the guy...
I like that sign.
This is just classic Clinton. He did nothing for eight years except fund-raising, legal and illegal, selling nuclear secrets to the Chinese and make it possible for North Korea to get nuclear weapons, and, of course, get his genitals sucked on by women other than his wife. When he got in trouble for that, he bombed Iraq and Pakistan and sent our servicemen into a nasty little Yugoslavian war which had nothing to do with us. Then, as he was leaving office, he pardoned every drug dealer he knew. He did less for this country than Millard Filmore, Franklin Pierce or James Buchanan. He sat on the Kyoto treaty for three years while he was still in office, a treaty which not even one of the Code Pink Democrats was willing to support publicly. Now he travels the world, telling foreigners that George Bush is trying to get them all killed. How long will the American press cheer for a man who vomits out vitriolic rhetoric about things he clearly doesn't care about anyway? I hope future generations of Americans will visit Bill Clinton's grave--and spit on it!
The Prsident should send it to the Senate NOW and ask for a vote.
The chief reason why everyone is mad at Bush for not signing Kyoto is money.
The whole thing was designed to make everyone feel good and gain political popularity by appealing to their Green constituencies, while the U.S. picked up the tab. We were supposed to pay the enormous bill.
They were all planning to sell us "rights to pollute." That way, they would have gotten our billions, but they could still blame us for being the world's biggest polluters, never mind that we have done better in that regard than almost anyone else.
So, is Clinton's breath taxed in other countries?
Good idea, see how many Democrats jump on board their former leader's bandwagon. As many as the Murtha resolution I bet.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.