I think the Republicans have several problems right now:
1. Border security. A porous border undercuts our position of being strong in stopping terrorism, and I believe much of the anger over Iraq is based on the fact that millions pour over the US borders illegally. The Rats won't do anything to stop it, but they will exploit it.
2. Spending. Republicans have jumped into the pork barrel as hard, or harder, than Rats. This will hurt them badly with fiscal conservatives.
3. Barnes is correct about the judiciary. The Pubbies have done pretty well, but we haven't communicated it. The recent ruling by the Carter appointee would have been a perfect time to bring this issue back to the front.
That being said, I've got the broken glass ready, because the Rats, if they get back in power, will do everything they can to ensure that:
1. There's never another honest election in this country.
2. Hannity, Limbaugh, most talk radio, and the internet are shut down.
3. The judiciary is composed of people who think Stalin wasn't harsh enough in dealing with conservatives.
Absolutely true. This may be the major Republican problem. Too many of them are following the polls, reading the NYT and WashPost, and then trying to "out Dem" the Dems.
Ronald Reagan says 'hi.'