Skip to comments.Iranian Alert - December 13, 2006 - Iran the major problem - Blair
Posted on 12/14/2006 12:29:07 AM PST by DoctorZIn
Top News Story
Iran the major problem - Blair
- The Daily Telegraph reported that Tony Blair today moved away from one of the key recommendations of the Iraq Study Group's report on Iraq, saying Iran was now the major problem in the Middle East.
- BBC News reported that Tony Blair has said Iran poses a "major strategic threat" to the Middle East and is "deliberately causing" problems.
Iran President Says Israel's Days are Numbered
- Reuters reported Ahmadinejad on Tuesday told delegates at an international conference questioning the Holocaust that Israel's days were numbered.
The Holocaust is Under Study in Iran
- Bridget Johnson, The National Review Online reported on Ahmadinejad's Holocaust Conference in Tehran and attendee's such as former Ku Klux Klan imperial wizard David Duke.
Germany's Merkel Says Iran Must Never Get Atom Bomb
- Washington Post reported that German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the international community must use all diplomatic options, including sanctions, to prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons.
US Backs New European Resolution on Iran Sanctions
- Yahoo News reported that Condoleezza Rice expressed optimism that the UN Security Council will finally impose sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program after the US and Russia closed ranks around a European draft resolution.
“Iran’s managerial default”: Construction of Bushehr nuclear power plant can be disrupted
- Regnum reported on the financial problems that the Islamic Republic is having in paying the Russians for the completion of the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant.
Iraq Study Group Report: At best useless and at worst dangerous
- Amir Taheri, Gulf News argued that the Iraqi Study Group's report, also known as the Baker-Hamilton report is worse than useless.
- Rick Santorum, The National Review Online argued that the Iraq Study Group and Secretary Gates see clearly the problems in Iraq and the contributions Iran makes to these problems. They do not think we can win in Iraq because they do not think that we can win in Iran; or, at least, they do not think that we must win in Iran.
- Russell Berman, The New York Sun argued that even as the Iraq Study Group led by James Baker and Lee Hamilton is urging America to negotiate with Iran, the regime in Tehran is coming under renewed internal and external pressure.
Here are a few other news items you may have missed.
- Reporters without Borders reported that while “The Iranian government has been arbitrarily arresting, torturing and killing writers and journalists for years... A sham judicial system has ensured that no light has been shed on these crimes and no one has been held responsible.
- Le Monde Diplomatique reported on the elections this week in Iran that will likely choose those who will determine who will be the next Supreme Leader of Iran.
- Le Monde Diplomatique reported on Islamic Republic's Revolutionary Guards, also known as the Pasdaran, and its considerable economic clout.
- Eric Allie, Townhall.com published a cartoon: The First Step to Peace!
"If you want on or off this Iran ping list, Freepmail DoctorZin
And please ping this thread.
"Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." -Manuel II Paleologus
Ping as requested.
Sorry that I've only lurked previously, but your work makes my comments superfluous.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.