Skip to comments.Utah gunman, 18, was Muslim from Bosnia
Posted on 02/14/2007 5:49:46 PM PST by Doctor13
Utah gunman, 18, was Muslim from Bosnia
Killed 5 in crowded shopping mall before being gunned down
The 18-year-old gunman who killed five people in a crowded Utah shopping mall was a Bosnian Muslim refugee who was prepared to kill many more, say investigators.
An off-duty police officer having an early Valentine's Day dinner with his wife was credited today with cornering Sulejmen Talovic, exchanging fire with him until other officers arrived to shoot and kill the gunman.
The trench-coated teenager wanted to "to kill a large number of people" and probably would have killed many more if not for the off-duty officer, Police Chief Chris Burbank said.
A friend said Talovic was from the war-torn country of Bosnia and that the trauma he experienced while growing up may have led to him snapping for some reason.
Ken Hammond, an off-duty officer from Ogden, north of Salt Lake City, jumped up from his seat at a restaurant after hearing gunfire and cornered the gunman, exchanging fire with him until other officers arrived, Burbank said.
"There is no question that his quick actions saved the lives of numerous other people," the police chief said.
Police said it was not immediately clear who fired the shot that killed Talovic.
Talovic had a backpack full of ammunition, a shotgun and a .38-caliber pistol, police said. Investigators knew little about Talovic, except than he lived in Salt Lake City with his mother, the chief said. He was enrolled in numerous city schools before withdrawing in 2004, the school district said. Initially, police refused to release his name or any information about his background.
Talovic drove to the Trolley Square shopping center a century-old former trolley barn with winding hallways, brick floors and wrought-iron balconies, and immediately killed two people, followed by a third victim as he came through a door, Burbank said. Five other people were then shot in a gift shop, he said.
Four people who were wounded remained hospitalized today, two in critical condition, two in serious.
Outside the mall, candles and flowers were left as memorials to the victims.
Hammond's boss, Ogden Police Chief Jon Greiner, said the state Senate wants to honor him.
"Thank goodness he was there," said Greiner, who is also a state senator. "You don't want to ever say it's good we were there and killed somebody, but it's probably good someone was there."
Accountant Jeff Barlow was on a date at a restaurant when he looked outside and saw the gunman firing from the hip.
"I thought it was some kind of joke some kind of movie or stunt," Barlow said. "I didn't believe it was happening. And then I saw a man go down in a courtyard. I realized this was serious. These are real bullets flying around."
David Dean, who owns a greeting-card store at the mall, said three or four people died inside his store, which was packed with Valentine's Day shoppers.
Claim: San Francisco Killer called himself 'terrorist'
Snow won't say whether Seattle-shooting 'terrorism'
1 dead, 5 hurt in Seattle terror
Muslim: I attacked out of love for Allah'
Oklahoma bomber had jihad material
Saudi pleads guilty to killing Jewish friend
Sniper link to al-Fuqra probed
LAX terrorist in U.S. on amnesty exemption
Mainstream media would never report this.
Their "tolerant" you see.
So does this qualify for the first official attack on America since 9-11 motivated by jihad?
Imagine if they started doing this everyday across America.
They can and they will.
That's why the WOT must be prosecuted to the fullest extent.
Even though my government is charged with the responsibility of protecting me, it is actually its own incompetence empowered by my American neighbors that gets me killed first, before old age of course.
Don't you mean "angry youth"?
did the writer know that the word "Muslim" was in the title? shouldn't they delete it or something?
The FBI traitors said within hours that this was "not Muslim terrorism". Feel safe with these bozos defending you?
I do. Overall, there is no telling how many near misses they have have stopped. I just wish they would be more up front with the public though.
Really, you don't say...
(posted like 12 times already)
On July 4th 2002 an Egyptian national went into the El-Al ticket office with a pistol & a couple knives trying to kill folks in the name of Islam.
He got his silly self capped & within 30 minutes the FBI was proclaiming that this persons actions were not an act of islamic terrorism.
To put it bluntly the cops do not have a duty to protect you or your loved ones which in plain language means you are on you own.
Excellent research! Hopefully some really reckless and filthy rich journalists who have no need for further employment see your links and decide to WRITE something about this...yeah, right..
Saith the Society of
Professional Propagandizing Journalists
Diversity guidelines for professional "journalists"
"On Oct. 6 [2001?] at its National Convention in Seattle, the Society of Professional Journalists passed a resolution urging members and fellow journalists to take steps against racial profiling in their coverage of the war on terrorism and to reaffirm their commitment to:
- Use language that is informative and not inflammatory;
- Portray Muslims, Arabs and Middle Eastern and South Asian Americans in the richness of their diverse experiences;
- Seek truth through a variety of voices and perspectives that help audiences understand the complexities of the events in Pennsylvania, New York City and Washington, D.C."
Specifically when reporting:
- Seek out and include Arabs and Arab Americans, Muslims, South Asians and men and women of Middle Eastern descent in all stories about the war, not just those about Arab and Muslim communities or racial profiling.
- Cover the victims of harassment, murder and other hate crimes as thoroughly as you cover the victims of overt terrorist attacks.
- Make an extra effort to include olive-complexioned and darker men and women, Sikhs, Muslims and devout religious people of all types in arts, business, society columns and all other news and feature coverage, not just stories about the crisis.
- Seek out experts on military strategies, public safety, diplomacy, economics and other pertinent topics who run the spectrum of race, class, gender and geography.
- When writing about terrorism, remember to include white supremacist, radical anti-abortionists and other groups with a history of such activity.
- Do not imply that kneeling on the floor praying, listening to Arabic music or reciting from the Quran are peculiar activities.
- When describing Islam, keep in mind there are large populations of Muslims around the world, including in Africa, Asia, Canada, Europe, India and the United States. Distinguish between various Muslim states; do not lump them together as in constructions such as "the fury of the Muslim world."
- Avoid using word combinations such as 'Islamic terrorist' or 'Muslim extremist' that are misleading because they link whole religions to criminal activity. Be specific: Alternate choices, depending on context, include 'Al Qaeda terrorists' or, to describe the broad range of groups involved in Islamic politics, 'political Islamists.' Do not use religious characterizations as shorthand when geographic, political, socioeconomic or other distinctions might be more accurate.
- Avoid using terms such as 'jihad' unless you are certain of their precise meaning and include the context when they are used in quotations. The basic meaning of 'jihad' is to exert oneself for the good of Islam and to better oneself.
- Consult the Library of Congress guide for transliteration of Arabic names and Muslim or Arab words to the Roman alphabet. Use spellings preferred by the American Muslim Council, including 'Muhammad,' 'Quran,' and 'Makkah ,' not 'Mecca.'
- Regularly seek out a variety of perspectives for your opinion pieces. Check your coverage against the five Maynard Institute for Journalism Education fault lines of race and ethnicity, class, geography, gender and generation.
- Ask men and women from within targeted communities to review your coverage and make suggestions."
Thus says the Society of
Professional Propagandizing Journalists
Let's not forget the Arab college student in NC who tried to run over other students.
Let's not forget the Pakistani who forced his way into a Seattle jewish charity and bravely killed defenseless jewish women volunteers.
Let's not forget the Sniper duo who terrorized metro DC.
I'm sure there are others I've overlooked. One thing's for sure. If white conservative christian males had this record the MSM would be going ape sh*t.
Yeah that had to be it.
It couldn't possibly have anything to do with being COMMANDED by the queeran to MURDER!!!!!
Nope, not in the least!
The truth comes out.
That's how it is, I am blunt when I explain it to people. Unfortunately only a few realize it, most are more than willing to give up their freedom for an empty promise of protection.
Your law makers finally came to understand, I've carried concealed there for years when I visit my mom. I will continue to do so even though my permit is not recognized there.
Their story then goes into the horrors that he witnessed... and how bad things were on the Muslims.
I'm glad I read the CNN piece or I might have thought the mall killings were unjustified.
(BTW, the article never once mentions that the murderer was a Muslim - another crock from CNN)
"So does this qualify for the first official attack on America since 9-11 motivated by jihad?
Imagine if they started doing this everyday across America. "
Not the first. There have been many jihad attacks already, but you never hear about it in the news. And if you do, it's always a case of "not terrorist related" or "a perpetrator acting alone."
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.