Skip to comments.What "Good Morning America" Missed Sex-Ed Makeover Controversy VIDEO
Posted on 03/23/2007 11:04:07 AM PDT by restornu
Should sexual orientation be part of a sex-ed curriculum?
Thursday morning on Good Morning America millions of viewers saw a story about a new, controversial sex-ed curriculum now being tested in a handful of middle and high schools in Montgomery County, Maryland. The news reporter presented the question, are schools going too far in health class by discussing homosexuality?
Click here to watch the report.
What the ABC reporter failed to mention is that not only is the topic controversial, much of the actual curriculum is medically misleading or inaccurate. For example, teachers are required to say "sexual orientation is innate" without acknowledging that the scientific community has not found a "gay gene." The curriculum equates heterosexuality with alternative lifestyles while ignoring the well-documented health risks associated with homosexual and bisexual sexual activities even with condoms. Ultimately the report ignored the serious misinformation that is being presented to 12-year-olds and concluded that this subject matter is okay because parents have more influence over their children than schools. Basically the issue of teaching homosexuality was dismissed as not that consequential.
It's a good thing that we don't have to solely rely on the media to keep us informed on important issues.
Here's a look at what has been going on behind the scenes with this politically driven curriculum and how Family Leader has been in the middle of the action in protecting school children from harmful information. We want you to know this, so you can see how a few people banning together can make a difference.
In addition to testifying before school officials and speaking to reporters on several occasions Family Leader has done the following:
1. Joined Citizens for a Responsible Curriculum (CRC) and Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays (PFOX) in a legal Appeal to the Maryland State Superintendent of Schools.
2. Helped collect over 100 affidavits from concerned citizens who are against the curriculum.
3. Flooded state school officials with calls and emails urging them to halt the dangerous curriculum.
4. Helped write and mail about 2,000 letters to the parents of the students where the flawed curriculum is being tested. Included in the mailing was a letter from a clinical psychologist as to why these lessons are harmful. Click here to read it
5. Helped publicize a Town Hall Meeting using email alerts and postcards to tell parents and taxpayers what really is being taught to children as young as 12.
6. Participated in picketing the curriculum by holding signs like "Health Before Politics" on the day the pilot lessons start. Those who picket stand on public sidewalks near the schools and do not interfere with school procedures.
A Favorable Response to Our Efforts
1. In response to the legal Appeal the State Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Grasmick, has called for a full trial before the Maryland State Board of Education before July. 2. In response to the letters to parents detailing what is in the curriculum and why it is harmful to children, many parents have chosen to opt their child out. In fact in one middle school a parent read the letter and was so appalled by the new lessons she called the rest of the 8th grade parents and told them to read the letter and opt their child out. As a result of the letters and parents' response only 9 students participated in that middle school.
3. The Town Hall meeting was a big success. A host of media and 120 people attended the meeting.
4. Those who have picketed have been told by school administrators that they are welcome to picket and personally agree with them. Picketers have been flooded with positive feedback from parents and local residents. It shows that when average people are given the truth, they oppose the curriculum.
What's Wrong with the Curriculum?
The flawed curriculum seeks to teach "tolerance" but in reality promotes the normalcy of homosexual, bisexual and transgendered lifestyles. Anyone who has a negative view of these lifestyles is defined as a homophobe and prejudiced. The lessons teach that "gender identity" is simply what a person feels inside rather than one's anatomy. These lessons are taught in a "health class" yet fail to inform students of the serious life and death health risks associated with the homosexual and bisexual lifestyles. Over 270 local physicians signed a petition urging that the lessons include data from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) regarding the dangers of anal intercourse. Their petition was rejected. Currently, the CDC reports that a staggering 70 percent of all American men who are HIV positive identify themselves as gay. Keep in mind that gay men account for less than 3 percent of the population.
In one lesson, a boy begins to wear dresses to school, calls himself "Portia," and wants to be known as a girl. The lesson refers to "Portia" as a "she" when the law and biology classify "her" as a "he." The principal gives this boy a key to a private restroom and a new student ID identifying him as a girl. The lesson implies that schools should create new unisex bathrooms for cross-dressing students instead of directing students to professional counselors for gender confusion. What the lessons should tell students is that the American Psychiatric Association classifies transgenderism as a gender identity disorder.
PLAINTIFF: But my teachers told me homosexuality was OK. They covered up the risks. Now I have AIDS.
Sound ridiculous? Replace teachers, homosexuality, and AIDS with Big Tobacco, smoking, and cancer, respectively. Not so strange-sounding... I just wish it would happen. Present that argument to the gay apologists and the fruit lobby.
According to one teenager I know in public high school, AIDS is an "African" disease.
I suggested this exact same thing in an earlier post only to inundated with emails from a Doctor who claimed anyone can get anal cancer and so on....
I myself had never heard of anal cancer before...not a subject that they touched on in my health class. How about yours? But by having homosexual anal sex increases your odds by like 9000% of getting it.
The law is written in most school districts, that they cannot teach sex health without talking about the risk involved. I encourage everyone to find out what their distrcit states about this. It is public information and if you feel they are violating this, than start writing letters so it can be changed.
Never happen AIDS is a civil rights issue. therefore immune from legal proceedings.
One of us can ping this out - I'll be back at my computer later tonight.