Posted on 03/11/2009 9:05:09 PM PDT by TigerLikesRooster
N. Korea likely to fire a rocket between April 4-8
SEOUL, March 12 (Yonhap) -- North Korea told an international organization that it would launch a rocket between April 4-8, an intelligence source said Thursday.
"North Korea informed the International Maritime Organization of its plan to fire the Kwangmyongson-2 between April 4-8," the source told Yonhap News Agency.
(LEAD) N. Korea informs global agencies of its rocket launch plan
SEOUL, March 13 (Yonhap) -- In yet another sign of an imminent rocket launch by North Korea, the communist nation announced Thursday that it has already informed related international organizations of its plan to put what it claims to be a "communication satellite" in orbit.
"The DPRK (North Korea) informed the International Civil Aviation Organization, the International Maritime Organization and other international organizations of necessary information for the safe navigation of planes and ships according to relevant regulations as part of its preparations for launching Kwangmyongsong-2, an experimental communications satellite, by carrier rocket Unha-2 which was made public by the Korean Committee of Space Technology recently," the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported, without revealing a date for the measure.
It added that Pyongyang also joined the international treaty and convention on space.
"The DPRK's accession to the said treaty and convention will contribute to promoting international confidence and boosting cooperation in the scientific research into space and the satellite launch for peaceful purposes," the KCNA said.
Wednesday's announcement follows weeks of reports that North Korea is preparing for a long-range missile launch from a base in its east coast. Pyongyang partly confirmed the reports, arguing it is seeking to send a communication satellite into orbit as part of peaceful space program.
The U.S. intelligence chief said earlier this week that North Korea appears to be seeking a space rocket launch as it claims.
"The North Koreans announced that they were going to do a space launch, and I believe that that's what they intend," National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair told a Congress committee.
Launch date of ‘Zero I’ was announced.
yitbos
Gee, I’ll be able to sleep tonight knowing Barry’s in charge.
He would suddenly fail to remember what he said.:-)
BTTT
Zero 1. I like that.
Probably, Blair just lost his ace pick for National Intelligence Council Charles W. Freeman Jr.
yitbos
Does that come with fried rice and kimchee?
Not is Kim is Il schedules liftoff for 3:00 AM Washington time.
yitbos
Kwangmyongson-2
Kwang my young son? Surely this is just a joke to get in on the Obama bitch slapping the worlds rouges seem to be enjoying lately.
They used google maps. Seems to be better than their own spy satellite images.
Manned or unmanned?
Thank you for keeping us up to date on the launch date.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.