Skip to comments.Four Generals Leave Roumieh Prison following Tribunal's Decision
Posted on 04/29/2009 5:38:51 PM PDT by forkinsocket
Lebanon released on Wednesday four generals who had been held for nearly four years without charge over the assassination of ex-Premier Rafik Hariri following a ruling by the Special Tribunal for Lebanon. The four were escorted separately out of Roumieh prison on the outskirts of Beirut in a convoy of vehicles after The Hague-based STL said there was insufficient evidence to charge them.
Speaking from their respective homes after their release, the generals said they had been vindicated by the court and insisted they had nothing to do with Hariri's 2005 murder in a massive car-bombing that also killed 22 others.
"Four generals were freed today but the only remaining inmate is Rafik Hariri and his jailer is Lebanon's justice system," security services director Jamil Sayyed told a crowd of cheering supporters outside his home that included several MPs from Hizbullah.
Saad Hariri agreed to "exchange his father for the sake of politics. He embraced people who do not want the truth to be uncovered," he said, referring to al-Mustaqbal Movement leader.
"I thank everyone who stood by us, and above all Hassan Nasrallah," he said, referring to the head of Hizbullah. "Never in the history of Lebanon have people been jailed for four years with no charge or evidence."
In the ruling, the tribunal's first since opening its doors on March 1, pre-trial judge Daniel Fransen granted a request by prosecutor Daniel Bellemare who said the available evidence was "not sufficiently credible" to hold the generals.
(Excerpt) Read more at naharnet.com ...