Skip to comments.OBITUARY for PVT Willam Andrew "Andy" Long
Posted on 06/05/2009 7:16:01 AM PDT by DCBryan1
CONWAY Pvt. William Andrew Andy Long, 23 of Conway, died Monday, June 1, 2009. Andy was born June 26, 1985, in Long Beach, Calif., to Daris and Janet (Roberson) Long.
Andy recently finished Army training at Ft. Benning, Ga., and was on his way to Korea. He attended Sunny Gap Baptist Church in Conway. His family says he had an infectious smile, a great sense of humor, and a brilliant mind. He is a hero.
Andy is survived by his parents, Daris and Janet Long of Conway; sister Vanessa Rice and husband Robert of Conway and brother Triston Long of Ft. Bliss, Texas; grandparents James and Virginia Roberson of Conway and Betty Long of Salt Lake City, Utah; and numerous other family members.
Funeral service will be 10 a.m. Monday, June 8, 2009, at Harlan Park Baptist Church, officiated by Bro. John Harrington. Burial follow at Noon at Arkansas State Veterans Cemetery in North Little Rock, with full military honors.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project at www.woundedwarriorproject.org. Arrangements by Griffin Leggett Funeral Home, 1751 Dave Ward Dr., Conway, Ark. 72034, 501-327-5000. Online guest registry is available at www.griffinleggettconway.com.
Rest in Peace soldier!
FReepers, be sure to call your Congressmen, followed with an email/letter and demand the PURPLE HEART for PVT Long.
I hate to be the one who puts a turd in the punch bowl, but unless Private Long died in a combat action, it's going to be very hard to justify awarding him the Purple Heart. God Bless him and his family.
It sounded like enemy combat to me
3. Criteria: a. The Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of an Armed Force who, while serving with the U.S. Armed Services after 5 April 1917, has been wounded or killed, or who has died or may hereafter die after being wounded;
(1) In any action against an enemy of the United States;
direct action on federal property (2) In any action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been engaged; CHECK
(3) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party;
(4) As a result of an act of any such enemy of opposing armed forces;
Self-pronounced muslim terrorist...Check
(5) As the result of an act of any hostile foreign force;Jihadi was travelling on Somolian passport...renounced religion and maybe citizenship
(6) After 28 March 1973, as a result of an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States, recognized as such an attack by the Secretary of the department concerned, or jointly by the Secretaries of the departments concerned if persons from more than one department are wounded in the attack; or,
(7) After 28 March 1973, as a result of military operations, while serving outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping force.
(8) After 7 December 1941, by weapon fire while directly engaged in armed conflict, regardless of the fire causing the wound.
(9) While held as a prisoner of war or while being taken captive.
b. A wound for which the award is made must have required treatment by a medical officer.
Absolutely. Just because he was ambushed doesn’t mean it wasn’t combat. The young man deserves a Purple Heart.
God bless him and his family. Watching his father moved me to tears and anger. Such good and decent people.
Pvt Long died at the hands of a muslim terrorist during our “war on terror” so he should be awarded the purple heart and if i were still on active duty i would write him up for one. Oops, i forgot, we are no longer involved in a War on terror, Pvt Long was killed in a “Man made disaster” so i guess he can’t be awarded the purple heart. Wonder if our soldiers in Afghanistan who are serving in “overseas contingency actions” can earn a purple heart?
Agree. If John Kerry can qualify for a Purple Heart for carelessly tossing a grenade into some rice stores and getting rice shrapnel stuck in his posterior, this fine soldier ought to qualify for being mortally wounded in the line of duty by an AK-47 toting Islamic terrorist
Wasn’t there another soldier wounded? He should also be eligible for the Purple Heart.
Thank the Lord!
He, also, is eligible for the Purple Heart.
If Obama wanted to really, really make up for his silence on the subject, he would fly to Little Rock, present the Purple Heart to the wounded PVT, and denounce any form of Islamic Terrorism.
Good points, all. Remember, though, who’s in control now...I wouldn’t be surprised to see 0bambi deny it on the basis of “Private Long asked for it...”