Skip to comments.Prince Harry's Afghan return to be made public
Posted on 03/18/2012 11:38:29 AM PDT by MinorityRepublican
New Idea is going to find it awfully hard to land a scoop on Prince Harry's military return to Afghanistan.
The British army plan to announce his arrival in Afghanistan for his next tour of duty following the breaking of a press embargo by the Australian magazine four years ago.
The media leak led to the third-in-line to the throne being pulled out of the front line after 10 weeks of action in 2008.
New Idea said it unintentionally broke the embargo with the story coming to light back in Britain via the US-based Drudge Report website.
The Sunday Times said Britain's Ministry of Defence had concluded the increasing popularity of social media websites such as Twitter made a media black-out unworkable.
The paper said news of the prince's future deployment meant a heightened security operation would be needed to protect the Apache helicopter pilot and his fellow troops from attacks.
Prince Harry is keen to return to the front line, telling an American broadcaster last week that it was "ridiculous" that his royal status would stop him heading back.
"The military's view is that either Harry goes or he leaves the army," a senior army source told the Sunday Times.
"It's as simple as that. He can't not go and stay in the army. We have spent millions training him."
(Excerpt) Read more at tvnz.co.nz ...
This kind of service to his country is what makes a 3rd-in-line to the throne a 1st-in-line.
Prince William had already served his time in the military. I can’t remember if it was Navy or Army.
Prince William is still in the Army. In fact, right now, he’s stationed at the Falklands, a potential hotspot.
It's an old family tradition you might say.
Oh, I didn’t realize William was still active, and in the Falklands.
Their Grandmother, the Queen, also served in the Army, during WWII. She was a Driver, and a Mechanic!