Skip to comments.Gingrich and Paul Defy Calls to Rally Around Romney
Posted on 04/15/2012 8:27:45 PM PDT by KSanders
With Rick Santorum out of the Republican presidential field, clearing a path to the nomination for Mitt Romney, the fight to become the partys standard-bearer is over, right?
Well, not entirely.
Despite the nearly unanimous view that Mr. Romney will be President Obamas challenger in the fall, there are still two men Representative Ron Paul of Texas and Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House who have not yet agreed. In the face of scorn from their peers, they continue to campaign, even if fewer people are paying attention.
Both men say they are seeking influence over the debate in the fall, and they do not appear to be leaving the race anytime soon.
Gingrich Stays In
In the hours after Mr. Santorum dropped out, Mr. Gingrich made it clear that he had no intention of doing the same.
(Excerpt) Read more at thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com ...
Whether you hate Romney or not, it would be insane for a conservative to not agree to be his V.P. That is an enormous amount of power and a bully pulpit for the movement, as well as the ability to influence Romney, potentially. You’re also of course one heartbeat away. That is one reason people like Newt are not going to denounce him as a candidate. He would wisely jump at the chance to be V.P. if he was offered.
LOL. So true! I only saw him once in person - at one of Hannity's Freedom concerts in Dallas about five years ago. He came on stage stiff in a suit and tie while everyone else was in relaxed or cowboy attire.
And you gave me a new tag line!
AMEN! The numbers are NOT with Mitt
Posted by noprisoners49 (Diary)
Friday, April 13th at 5:30PM EDT
Recommenders: garfieldjl (Diary), dialove, rightwingnut2 (Diary), mswalnut (Diary)
Mitt Romney must win over 60% of all remaining hard delegates to secure the GOP nomination. Surprised?
19 states still need to be heard from, and of those states 869 hard delegates are available at the state and district level (discounting the 37 total delegates available between Indiana and Arkansas, which have proportionality rules only a democrat could love). State and committee GOP delegates number about 69, which Im throwing into my calculations as a given for Romney.
Nevertheless, Romney still needs 663 delegates to reach that magic 1144 number.
Can he do it?
Of the 11,280,792 votes cast so far, Romney has accumulated 4,595,908 or only about 41%. Typically, Romney does not garner more than an average of 44% of the vote. Santorum averaged about 25% of the vote. Even if half of Santorums supporters vote for Mitt, this still does not give him the necessary 60+ % to secure the GOP nomination.
Go Newt! Paul can get lost.
Texas votes MAY 29. whats up with that?
Romney will get like zero votes around here.
There has been some stirring at the SREC to change the Texas delegate allocation from ‘proportional’ to a ‘winner take all’ format. So far they haven’t had an emergency meeting to do so.
Delegates awarded 1,285 56% Delegates remaining 1,001 44%
Here are some of Newts upcoming Events:
Newt 2012 Town Hall Meeting
Monday, April 16 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT
723 S Central Expressway
Newt Gingrich speaks to the Lancaster County GOP
Tuesday, April 17 - 8:30 p.m. ET
Lancaster County Convention Center
25 S. Queen Street
Newt Gingrich to speak to the New York State Committee Annual Dinner
Thursday, April 19 7:30 p.m. ET
Sheraton Hotel and Towers
811 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY
Hell be back in NC soon
Still have my fingers and toes crossed. (And that is hard for an old lady.) Boy, we really need this great man in our lives at this time. Praying, praying!!
God bless and Keep you, dearest sweet pal!
I’m praying too!
(I can’t do any of the finger and toe crossin’ you’re able to do!)
Romney to Stake Claim to Nomination at RNC Meeting Friday
April 16, 2012
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 11:45:24 PM by 22cal
(Fox News) - PHOENIX Mitt Romney will address the Republican National Committee meeting of state party chairmen this Friday in Phoenix, where he will stake his claim to the GOP nomination and call upon party leaders to unite, FOX News Channel reported.
The meeting will be attended by more than 40 of the RNCs 50 state GOP chairmen, along with 200 additional officials, activists and political professionals as they gear up for the fall campaign to oust President Barack Obama.
(Excerpt) Read more at myfoxdfw.com ...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.