Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Gallup: Americans Rate Public Schools the Worst Place to Educate Children
Cybercast News Service ^ | August 29, 2012 | Terrence P. Jeffrey

Posted on 08/30/2012 12:04:50 AM PDT by Zakeet

A new Gallup poll released today indicates that Americans rate public schools the worst place to educate children.

In the national survey conducted Aug. 9-12, private independent schools, parochial and church-related schools, charter schools and home-schooling all rated higher than public schools.

Gallup interviewers asked respondents: "I’m going to read a list of ways children are educated in the U.S. today. As I read each one, please indicate--based on what you know or have read and heard--how good an education each provides children--excellent, good, only fair, or poor. How about: public schools, parochial or church-related schools, independent private schools, charter schools, or home-schooling?"

Only 5 percent said they believe public schools give children an excellent eduction.

Another 32 percent said they believe public schools give children a good education. But this combined 37 percent who said public schools give children an excellent or good education was the lowest among the different types of schools Gallup included in its survey.

Americans ranked independent private schools highest, with 31 percent saying they provide an excellent education and 47 percent saying they provide a good education--for a combined 78 percent who say they provide an excellent or good education.

Parochial and church-related schools ranked second, with 21 percent saying they provide an excellent education and 48 percent saying they provide a good education--for a combined 69 percent who say they provide an excellent or good education.

Charter schools came in third, with 17 percent saying they provide an excellent education and 43 percent saying the provide a good education--for combined 60 percent positive rating.

Home-schooling came in fourth, with 13 percent saying it provides an excellent education and 33 percent saying it provides a good education--for a combined 46 percent who give it a positive rating.

Public schools finished fifth--or last place.

(Excerpt) Read more at cnsnews.com ...


TOPICS: Culture/Society; Government; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: education; gallup; publicschools

You Right Wing Nuts are to blame because you won't give the public schools enough money to pay their unionized teachers a decent wage!

1 posted on 08/30/2012 12:05:02 AM PDT by Zakeet
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Zakeet; All

I had an excellent public school education in two different high schools from 1950 to 1956 in New Jersey. My mother was teaching in New Jersey for many years after that time and said by 1975 she could see the quality of the children deteriorating with the rise of junk food and junk cereal.


2 posted on 08/30/2012 12:18:08 AM PDT by gleeaikin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Zakeet

No one is happy and no one has the courage to tell the unions to pound sand and demand quality education. Nope.


3 posted on 08/30/2012 12:19:33 AM PDT by vpintheak (Occupy your Brain!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Zakeet

Every appeal that Socialist makes on behalf of those working speaks primarily to union labor.


4 posted on 08/30/2012 1:26:16 AM PDT by Gene Eric (Demoralization is a weapon of the enemy. Don't get it, don't spread it!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: gleeaikin

...”My mother was teaching in New Jersey for many years after that time and said by 1975 she could see the quality of the children deteriorating with the rise of junk food and junk cereal”...

You know, by 1975 the Woodstock revolution had taken place which changed colleges into a place of anarchy over a span of only three years in the 1960s. Baby boomer parents did not stand up against the moral and educational decline because they wanted to give their little facists darlings everything they never had. The little Baby Boomers darlings turned out to the the most greedy, immoral, Godless, entitled group who ever lived in America.
Throw in heavy medal music, birth control, teacher’s unions and lawyers who were ready to sue teachers and schools over any kind of discipline and there you have it. The Boomers spawned the children and probably, the grandchildren your mother taught..It has only gotten worse since then.


5 posted on 08/30/2012 1:51:23 AM PDT by jazzlite (esat)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Zakeet

Home schooling works very well.


6 posted on 08/30/2012 3:16:50 AM PDT by SoFloFreeper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: gleeaikin
... by 1975 she could see the quality of the children deteriorating with the rise of junk food and junk cereal.

Seriously! You're blaming the failure of public schools on sugar cereal?

7 posted on 08/30/2012 3:18:35 AM PDT by raybbr (People who still support Obama are either a Marxist or a moron.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: gleeaikin

“My mother was teaching in New Jersey for many years after that time and said by 1975 she could see the quality of the children deteriorating with the rise of junk food and junk cereal.”

I have a friend who just retired from teaching public school in NJ; she had students in her class who didn’t know the word for “book” (they would point and say “that thing” - in second grade). They didn’t have to worry about breakfast; most had it provided by the state. This friend laid the blame for the failing school squarely at the feet of the teachers’ unions, which pushed for the “social promotion” of illiterate students into high school.


8 posted on 08/30/2012 3:36:14 AM PDT by kearnyirish2 (Affirmative action is economic war against white males (and therefore white families).)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: kearnyirish2
we used t teach up to the student abilities

Now a decent student is taught to the lowest curve and could be done by the 10th grade

See NYC could care less about Smoking at School, Skippig School or what ever the kid wants except educate him/her

9 posted on 08/30/2012 4:25:55 AM PDT by scooby321 (AMS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: kearnyirish2
we used t teach up to the student abilities

Now a decent student is taught to the lowest curve and could be done by the 10th grade

See NYC could care less about Smoking at School, Skippig School or what ever the kid wants except educate him/her

10 posted on 08/30/2012 4:26:02 AM PDT by scooby321 (AMS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: kearnyirish2
we used t teach up to the student abilities

Now a decent student is taught to the lowest curve and could be done by the 10th grade

See NYC could care less about Smoking at School, Skippig School or what ever the kid wants except educate him/her

11 posted on 08/30/2012 4:26:11 AM PDT by scooby321 (AMS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Zakeet

I have a funny feeling this “gallup” poll wont see the light of MSM day!


12 posted on 08/30/2012 5:26:34 AM PDT by Rich21IE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Zakeet

Union teachers NOT only can’t teach but they treat schools like personal whore houses ... it’s almost impossible to fire the worst of ‘em. If your child can’t read you have a democrat to thank.


13 posted on 08/30/2012 5:49:02 AM PDT by GOPJ (Homeland Paranoid Insecurity: Making the country safe for liberal elites...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Zakeet

Union teachers NOT only can’t teach but they treat schools like personal whore houses ... almost impossible to fire the worst of ‘em. If your child can’t read - you have a democrat to thank.


14 posted on 08/30/2012 5:51:20 AM PDT by GOPJ (Homeland Paranoid Insecurity: Making the country safe for liberal elites...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Zakeet

Unfortunately too many Americans feel about their particular public schools as they do about their particular congress critters: as a whole, they know the product is not good, but somehow they think their local one is an exception.


15 posted on 08/30/2012 5:59:32 AM PDT by 9YearLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Zakeet

Proud Product of the US Dept. of Educattion. /sar

It is TIME to DownSize DC!

Close entire rogue or worthless Departments. The US Department of Education including it’s SWAT Teams needs to be eliminated.


16 posted on 08/30/2012 6:04:59 AM PDT by Texas Fossil (Government, even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: 9YearLurker

My favorite argument is
“well, I’ll just spend a couple hours each night to teach them my values instead of the schools’”

yep, they get them for 40 hours a week, you’re going to spend a few hours and unindoctrinate them... right...

Homeschooling only takes a few hours a day,
especially because you don’t have the disruptive students.


17 posted on 08/30/2012 6:38:32 AM PDT by MrB (The difference between a Humanist and a Satanist - the latter knows whom he's working fors)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Texas Fossil
Close entire rogue or worthless Departments. The US Department of Education including it’s SWAT Teams needs to be eliminated.

Cut the waste at the top and let the teachers actually teach and we might get somewhere.

As it is, one drug baby - one - and the entire class is held hostage.

18 posted on 08/30/2012 6:42:25 AM PDT by SCalGal (Friends don't let friends donate to H$U$, A$PCA, or PETA.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: MrB

What strikes me is how much parents are willing to give away their children’s time and youth to be wasted in the government gulags.

What would it take for parents to pool together as in the old days, one tutor for five kids, if they didn’t want to stay home full-time themselves?


19 posted on 08/30/2012 6:48:35 AM PDT by 9YearLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: 9YearLurker

I wish I could homeschool my young ones, but unfortunately I can’t. I do have them in the best private school in our area and we are very involved with their education and there is unlimited communication between the school and us.


20 posted on 08/30/2012 6:53:03 AM PDT by commonguymd (New media has not replaced the MSM. It has emboldened it. Never underestimate the power they have.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: 9YearLurker

I think there are more that have fallen victim to the “tyranny of experts” and have been convinced that they can’t do it as well as an “professional educator”.

Our society has become overspecialized. It leads to efficiencies, but causes inherent weaknesses overall.


21 posted on 08/30/2012 6:55:44 AM PDT by MrB (The difference between a Humanist and a Satanist - the latter knows whom he's working fors)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: MrB

I agree with you, and actually don’t see how a smart recent high school grad can’t teach younger kids, since the entire curriculum is not that difficult to master.

I was more speaking to the economics or other reasons why there may not be the full-time stay-at-home parent that is otherwise needed for supervision for younger kids.


22 posted on 08/30/2012 7:18:31 AM PDT by 9YearLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: 9YearLurker

Yes, there are other reasons.
“Economics”, though, is about choices.


23 posted on 08/30/2012 7:30:19 AM PDT by MrB (The difference between a Humanist and a Satanist - the latter knows whom he's working fors)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: scooby321

“See NYC could care less about Smoking at School, Skippig School or what ever the kid wants except educate him/her”

Years ago they tied welfare payments to children’s attendance at school; maybe some teachers had some frank discussions with administrators about why it might be more conducive to a productive learning environment to just have the “cash-for-kids” students stay out of the classrooms altogether to give the students that care (from families that care) a chance. There is no reason for a welfare child in an urban environment to believe they have a chance to amount to anything; they are simply pawns for their parents, school districts, and political representatives (none of whom could care less about them or their futures).


24 posted on 08/30/2012 8:57:10 PM PDT by kearnyirish2 (Affirmative action is economic war against white males (and therefore white families).)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: jazzlite; All

I should add that my mother was teaching 3rd grade in a suburban bedroom suburb of New York. Mostly middle class students.


25 posted on 09/03/2012 1:01:19 AM PDT by gleeaikin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson