Skip to comments.'Bindergate:' Evidence Obama is Losing?
Posted on 10/18/2012 12:28:22 PM PDT by GonzoII
Katie and Cortney have already touched on this brewing "controversy," but I suspect the smallness of the issue -- if you can call it that -- is actually indicative of something larger. The Left's fixation on Mitt Romney's turn of phrase "women full of binders" in the second debate may represent the pettiest and most trivial chapter of this entire campaign. And yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that we've witnessed multiple attacks centered around Romney's pets. At first, I viewed "binders" as a transitory lefty internet meme-generator and twitter sensation. Romney's word choice was slightly awkward, but nothing more -- perfect fodder for web silliness. But then the President of the United States tweeted about it, and incorporated the word into his stump speech (while quietly dropping the part about Al Qaeda being on the run). Ridiculous and unpresidential, perhaps, but so was Big Bird. Surely Obama was just needling his opponent over a flash-in-the-pan, substanceless verbal misstep, right? Wrong. The Obama campaign is now aggressively promoting "bindergate" online, sternly warning Americans that the throwaway sentence is damning evidence of Romney's "condescending views towards women." Really:
As a person who enjoys at least a modicum of brain activity, I'm not exactly sure how to react to this. It's so trifling, so frivolous, that it shouldn't merit any discussion whatsoever. But here we are. The leader of the free world and his campaign have decided to elevate is as an issue, so I suppose my response is four-fold:
(1) If Mitt Romney had said "binders full of women's resumes," this whole thing would be less than nothing (I'm not willing to concede that it's actually something). Every single non-lunatic person watching that exchange understood precisely what Romney was saying, even as it evoked the weird mental image of a giant three-ring binder filled with human beings. A meaningless 'oops' at worst. The phrase is not even offensive on its face. Even out of context, who hears "binders full of women," and is authentically offended or shocked? Nobody.
(2) The entirety of Romney's answer directly refutes the Obama campaign's puzzling assertion that Romney was exhibiting anti-women condescension. The whole point of the story is that he walks the walk when it comes to empowering women in the workplace. Barack Obama talks a lot about "pay fairness," droning on about the triumph of the Lily Ledbetter Act. Then he goes on to complain that the problem persists -- despite his grand legislative achievement, and without acknowledging the plain truth that the pay gap "problem" is largely attributable to factors other than discrimination. Nor does he mention that his White House pays female staffers $11,000 less per year than their male counterparts, on average (to say nothing of all this). Romney, on the other hand, went out of his way to seek and recruit qualified women leaders to serve at the highest levels of state government. He doesn't need window-dressing, ineffective legislation to prove his commitment; he's lived it.
(3) The genuine "condescending to women" in this instance flows from the Obama campaign. Do they believe American women are so stupid that they can't recognize this absurd piece of feigned indignation for what it is? Women voters are concerned about jobs, take home pay, rising costs, and the dangerous national debt. Team Obama seems to think they can peel away substantial numbers of these voters by convincing them that Mitt Romney's "binders" is somehow deeply troubling. It's not. In any way. And women know this; they're not children.
(4) This week's USA Today/Gallup poll of swing states showed Mitt Romney in the lead, boosted in part by drawing even with the president among female voters. The Obama campaign freaked out about the poll's methodology and labeled it an outlier. But if that survey didn't strike a nerve in Chicago, what explains this new round of transparent and truly desperate pandering to women? By hopping from Big Bird to binders, the Obama team has not only (again) shown itself to be shallow and unserious; it's tipped its own hand on some very real concerns about a shrinking gender gap. Without winning a sizable majority of women, this president does not get re-elected. Period.
I'll leave you with three videos, all of which are relevant to this battle. The first is Romney's new ad correcting the record and fighting serial distortions of his stances on abortion and birth control. The second is a web spot featuring some of the very women who emerged from Romney's binders to serve in positions of influence and power in the Massachusetts government. Finally, an Obama classic that feels more relevant today than ever before:
"If you don't have a record to run on...you make big elections about small things:"
UPDATE - On MSNBC, Time's Mark Halperin was decidedly unimpressed with 'bindergate:'
BinderGate is awesome. It shows how far ahead Mitt actually is.
Obama’s October surprise is BinderGate and I couldn’t be happier.
What a pathetic loser, Obama is.
I love Team Barry’s new campaign slogan. “Big Bird, Binders, Bill and Bruce!”
Please forgive my extreme ignorance, but just what do they mean by “binder?”
I can’t figure it out.
Obama be sub-Mitten.
Biden tells a guy in a wheel chair to stand up Chuck. Obama says he never goes to intel briefings an 4 people die. Crickets. Romney uses the word binders instead of resumes and it’s a national scandal. Lord save the USA!
Snip: CHICAGO In a bid to get more Muslim Americans working in the Obama administration, a book with resumes of 45 of the nations most qualified Ivy League grads, Fortune 500 executives and public servants, all carefully vetted has been submitted to the White House.
1. Who is Bruce?
2. I have a kid in middle school. This binder thing is SO juvenile. Keep it up, Obama. “Folks” need to know that this is what you think will get them to the polls for you.
3. Would grown ups come back and run the country, please?
Three ring notebook thing or file folder.
“Please forgive my extreme ignorance, but just what do they mean by binder?”
I didn’t know that office supplies were so offensive.
Springsteen. He’s out there with Willie telling the DUmmies to vote for Barry.
Obama says "No acts of terror will shake our resolve" and that's supposed to mean specifically Benghazi and not a generalism.
I think I understand now.
the incredible shrinking president
This “bindergate” nonsense is even stupider than the dog in the pet carrier. The dog thing was desperation, this is abject panic. Can the RATS really think even the moronic MSNBC audience is so stupid?
Mitt pops a women out of his binder when he needs one.
Ranks up there with “When I was President”....
Springsteen would be his ploy to get white blue collar baby boomers to vote for him? Good luck with that. The older white guys won’t be swayed no matter who sings, and the white women can’t help but notice that Bruce is not quite as sexy in his jeans as he used to be.
Where is the Gloria Allred scandal that was going to topple Mitt and Paul? One blurb on Drudge tweets and some Freepers were opening up windows to jump out of. Like there is some illegal Honduran maid who said he had Mitt’s love child. I doubt Obama’s Team would get behind or even tacitly endorse such crap, the backfire would be tremendous. But then again Team Oba a is made up of drug addicted, Ivy league types and ghoulish political operative slimeballs who are divorced from reality and some of them DO NOT want to go work on K street after an Obama wipeout, so I would not put it past them.
I’ll take a man who stares at binders of wimminzes over a man who stares at binders of muslims any day...
Same here. I don’t get it...Few days away from politics and the landscape changed.
A non-issue. The fact that Zippy needs to make it an issue tells us that he is desperate. He has ZERO issues of substance where he is ahead. He has NO record to run on. He has been reduced to running against absurdities like Binders and Big Bird. And based on his most recent debate performance, he is still trying to run against Bush, since that’s what worked for him in 2008.
In a classic jujitsu move, the Romney campaign should take the ladies from the commercial and have them introduce themselves “I am a Binder woman, he gave me a job, and he’s got my vote.” or something to that effect.
Communists often manifest an unhealthy obsession with retro office supplies. You wouldn’t believe what they do with mimeograph machines and paper clips.
LOL.... any picture with Bill and binder make me laugh...
Hahahaha...true, very true.
We need a photoshop of Mittens holding an “Empty Binder” w the Obama symbol on it with the phrase “Hope & Change”
Binder and Binder is an ambulance chasing law firm that advertises for blunders and blunderers.
I think they are Obama bundlers.
He wears a stupid hat in the commercial.
It is pathetic, first its Big Bird and now this
I think Romney just misspoke... he meant to say “women full of BLINDERS”, meaning women that vote for 0zer0 must have on a full set of blinders. There, fixed it for you.
3 ring binders
See, sonny - back in the olden days, we used to use a hole punch and everything was on paper. If you wanted to organize stuff, you punched holes in sheets of paper, snapped open your 3 ring binder and inserted the sheets onto the rings through the holes you punched.
We have computers now and this antiquated junk isn’t so necessary nowadays
What a wonderful modern world we live in - unless you’re a woman and work for Obama, that is. He pays them less because Muslims have a war on women thing going on for many centuries now.
Bindergate is big news today in the MSM, boosted by Axlegrease and Pluffy.
It does show that the Baraqqis are out of ammo.
$4 gas, 17% true unemployment, and bigtime price inflation are killing them in the real world.
Flashback: Keith Ellison gave Obama binder full of “Qualified” Muslims to consider hiring
CHICAGO In a bid to
get *more* Muslim Americans working in the Obama administration
a book with resumes of 45 of the nations most qualified Ivy League grads, Fortune 500 executives and public servants, all carefully vetted has been submitted to the White House.
See # 76.
Thanks, MamaDearest. Good find.
This guy is so petty it’s pathetic. Lessee Romney kills people Romney’s racist, Romney doesn’t like poor people and can’t relate, Romney pulls “ready,fire, aim.” Romney has binders, Romney hates women, Romney never snorted or inhaled, Romney blah, blah,blah He’s shooting blanks
When you have to resort to something as silly as that, you are desperate and behind.
LOL! Silence of the Lambs.
They’re going to bring out some woman to say that Romney sexually harrassed her 99 years ago, and it will be 3 or 4 days before the election. It will cause Romney’s numbers to plummet, and after the election it will be proven that this woman is lying. Just wait. I can almost bet on it.
Of course Obama’s campaign would endorse this. In fact, don’t be surprised if they instigate such a farce, like I said in my earlier reply. If there are no scandals in Romney’s past, just make one up. The media will jump on it and it will be up to Romney to debunk it. Of course, it will so close to the election that the damage will be done and won’t have time to become undone.
I see law firms still using them all the time, right along side their digital storage of documents.
Thanks for the ping. A very good and LOL-funny thread. Thanks to all posters. FReeper humor BUMP!