Skip to comments.Obama needs some binders of women
Posted on 01/09/2013 8:36:17 PM PST by Nachum
About all those white guys: What a shame. Not an outrage, but a shame. The face of power that President Obama has chosen to present to the country and the world with his second-term Cabinet picks is striking except for the African American president at the top of the pyramid for its retro look, white and male. Its Mad Men Goes to Washington, except Peggys leaving. On the foreign policy team, white guy for secretary of state, white guy for defense secretary, white guy for CIA. For Treasury secretary, white guy. Obamas replacement as chief of staff
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
This is my last election. I’ll have more flexibility.
this article is being assigned as homework in high schools by leftist teachers. here are the questions the students are told to answer:
1. Define: Cabinet, retro, secretary of state, Treasury secretary, chief of staff, tableau, establishment, quota, chromosome, byline
2. What Cabinet positions are most important, according to Ruth Marcus? Why do you think this is?
3. To what extent is picking a Cabinet about picking the people who will do the best job? To what extent is it about presenting the right face of power?
4. Why is public perception an important factor in choosing Cabinet members? What perception does Marcus think a mostly white, male cabinet will create?
5. What happens if people dont think the government represents their interests? What are some ways governments try to win peoples loyalty?
6. Are Americans interests based on their race or gender? Do they think they need someone of their own race or gender to represent them? Explain.
7. What does Marcus mean when she says nomination of women cabinet members could have come about organically? Does she think Obama should have deliberately made sure to pick enough women and minorities, or not? Would these nominations have come about organically if he had done so? Explain.
8. Why does Marcus think there is something distasteful and fundamentally demeaning about judging a Cabinet solely by the color of its skin or the composition of its chromosomes. Does she think Cabinets should be judged partly by these criteria? Explain.
9. [A]n opinion page with only white-guy columnists
would be lacking in the most important diversity: of viewpoints and experiences. Do white guys all have the same viewpoints and experiences? Are there black and white or male and female views on issues? If so, what are they?
Link to article source