Skip to comments.How Three People Died Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In The Same Motel Room, Six Weeks Apart
Posted on 06/14/2013 5:33:20 PM PDT by grundle
Back in April, an elderly couple died while staying in a Best Western motel in North Carolina. The local medical examiner couldnt find a clear cause of death. The motel continued renting the room to others until last week, when an 11-year-old boy died and his mother was rushed to the hospital. The cause? Carbon monoxide poisoning from the pool heater.
Heres the galling part: while waiting for toxicology results, motel management just kept renting out the room to other guests. If management had some something wacky like hold off on renting that room until the results came back, maybe no one else would have died. The Charlotte Observer, hometown newspaper of the 11-year-old, reporters learned that in other jurisdictions, blood tests for carbon monoxide poisoning come back in a matter of hours, not weeks.
The room in question happens to be right over the motels mechanical room. Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless, deadly gas, seeped into the room through either the air conditioner or the gas fireplace vents. Officials believe that the gas came from the pool heater. Fire codes dictate that new houses built in North Carolina need carbon monoxide detectors, but theyre not required in motels. No staff from the medical examiners office visited the scene in April, and local emergency responders dont carry equipment to detect carbon monoxide.
Blood test results would have showed that the elderly couple in April died of carbon monoxide poisoning. They were kicking off a three-week vacation, but died within hours of each other instead. The family didnt believe that both parents, who were active and in good health, died of abrupt and simultaneous heart attacks. Do you know how mad I am right now? Why are they still renting out this room? their son asked reporters after learning about the childs death in the same room.
If you happen to have stayed in Room 225 of the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone, N.C., please contact police at 828-268-6900.
It won’t bring the three back but I’d sue the h*ll out of the hotel.
Wow, “management” is going to no longer own that hotel.
CM? Oh okay, we’ll get around to it...
It’s probably owned by a moslem.
Getting back at Christians/Jews like “Sombody we know” does.
I believe they need to hire a new Medical Examiner also.
Out of curiosity, why do you blame the hotel more than the medical examiner. 3 weeks for a 10 minute lab workup on the blood?
And who’s job is it primarily to determine cause of death?
Yes, the hotel is at fault, but I have a lot of issues with the M.E. here.
This motel management has a bright future working in the government. Ignorance and a lack of common sense are a must in DC.
I’ll bet that the owner of the hotel is from India.
>>Ill bet that the owner of the hotel is from India.
Best Western is owned by Indians?
3 weeks for a 10 minute lab workup on the blood?..Oh, gee. Cherry red when you brought them in? We need a full NCIS here.
Why shouldn't they? As far as they knew it was heart attacks that killed the first couple. Having a couple die within a bit of each other is unusual but not unknown.
And they will sue the pool maintenance contractor. Three people died and one was 11 years old who had his whole life in front of him only to be stolen by someone looking to squeeze the bottom line.
The only true punishment for total disregard from human life is for management to stay the night in room 225.
Yea Right! I hear room 226 is available, want to give it try?
Do you have any proof that they knew anything was wrong with the room?
They were told their customers died of heart attacks. Heart attacks are not transmissible.
But you are ready to commit murder for what was not even a mistake but just a confluence of circumstances.
Perhaps it is time to have your moral compass checked.
That is an unwarranted conclusion. It's not as if carbon monoxide asphyxiation via pool heater is a common cause of death. I've never heard of anything like this before. Another possibility is that they either died of natural causes simultaneously or committed suicide via some difficult to detect means.
Two fatal arrhythmias, no chest pain or shortness of breath, no waking up, no waking up when the spouse dies.
I think the ignorance is on the part of the hyperventilating writer. Death by pool heater is not a common event. Until this Consumerist writer typed up this asinine column, I had never heard of such a thing.
I’ve heard of pool heaters and driveway heaters killing people with CO. When two healthy people die in the same room at the same time, without evidence of violence or suicide, look for an environmental cause.