Skip to comments.Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" Unveils Exciting Scholarship Program Rooted in Hard Work
Posted on 10/28/2013 9:55:23 AM PDT by Heartlander
Mike Rowe, formerly of Dirty Jobs, appeared on TheBlaze TVs Wilkow! Thursday night to discuss his exciting new scholarship program, the mikeroweWORKS Scholarship Fund. The goal is to get high school seniors ready to enter the workforce with the skills they need to land the jobs that are available in the U.S. the key word being available.
The jobs right now that we have available, people dont seem to want and it makes no sense because were lending money we dont have to kids who cant pay it back to train them for jobs that no longer exist, Rowe told TheBlaze TVs Andrew Wilkow.
Each mikeroweWORKS scholarship is worth $15,000 on average a nice chunk of change. However, any high school senior interested in the program must first take the S.W.E.A.T. Pledge (Skills and Work Ethic Arent Taboo) and make a case as to why they are deserving of the scholarship in the form of a video.
If youre not willing to sign it, this particular pile of free money is probably not for you, Rowe said.
Over the next few months, mikeroweWORKS will partner with some of the very best trade and technical Schools in the country, starting with the Mid-West Technical Institute (MTI).
VIDEO Mike Rowe: The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge
Heres the pledge via Rowes website, profoundlydisconnected.com:
1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.
2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that happiness and the pursuit of happiness are not the same thing.
3. I believe there is no such thing as a bad job. I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and its up to me to make the best of them.
4. I do not follow my passion. I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.
5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I cant afford.
6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in compliance does not necessarily mean Im out of danger.
7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.
8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.
9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.
10. I believe that I am a product of my choices not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didnt do.
11. I understand the world is not fair, and Im OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.
12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.
On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.
Now, we understand many of you might want to sign the pledge just on principle alone but remember, you have to be a high school senior to be eligible for the scholarship program.
For more information on the mikeroweWORKS Scholarship Fund, click here.
VIDEO Mike Rowe: Getting America Back To Work
God bless Mike Rowe. I can’t wait to share this with my kids.
Mike Rowe should do a dirty jobs episode at the Whitehouse.
I disagree with him on what is the “worst advice in the history of the world”.
I’d offer, instead, the idea that we should stop eating foods that we’d been eating for all of human history, and instead eat processed industrial foods that have never existed on the planet until they were constructed in the lab, because the latter are “heart healthy”. (E.g., refined sugar, refined flour, industrial seed oils, hydrogenated fats, high fructose corn syrup.)
In the "Media-Pop Culture", but not OF the "media-pop culture".
He also believes that we’re all responsible for our own safety and security and happiness isn’t guaranteed, only the freedom to pursue happiness is guaranteed.
Mike Rowe for Secretary of Labor and Secretary of Education.
Give him two years to organize programs like this, one year to transfer them ALL to the states and one year to shut down those Federal Departments.
I saw Mr. Rowe on the GB program and really enjoy all of his work as a voice of many good TV programs.
Glenn Beck was talking this morning about receiving word from Mike Rowe that he was being harassed by the slime media liberals for leaving the reservation with his appearance on the GB TV program.
Mike told Glenn basically that all of those criticizing him can go F themselves. LOL
this old school American. this is great.
ping for later viewing
My youngest boy is in a program like this. His employer runs it. Last summer my son was working as a plumber’s assistant at a house near Martinez Lake north of Yuma Az. During this job my son did much of the work on his own because the plumber he was partnered with was out sick.
The homeowner was a guy who owns one of the biggest electrical contracting companies in the state. He watched my son bust his butt in the 115 deg heat. When the job was over he asked my son how much he was making an hour. My son told him, and he then asked if my boy would like to make double that and have have his electrician’s certification training paid for. The only catch was my boy would have to move to Phoenix on his own dime.
My son asked me what he should do and I told him he was crazy if he didn’t jump on this opportunity. My son has been in Phoenix now for the last year working for this company and going to school. He loves it. He started out at $18.00 an hour and is now making $20.00 an hour. There are many opportunities like this out there if you are willing to work hard.
Room and board at that same big ten school today is $18,000 per year. Show me a summer job today that pays $18,000.
There you are. People, even some Freepers, have failed on this one.
Amen, a very good Man...
Watching Dirty Jobs on Netflix right now.
This was so true. I put myself thru a same (big ten now) school. Started summer jobs at 11 with lawn mowing. In the winter I would shovel snow at the church & rectory & get a savings bonds. Later carpenters helper for 3 summers & later thru connections got on a union job first on a surveying group. Then while in college the summer job was on Atlas missile sites where I sometimes could work many hrs of overtime. Also worked in sororities for my meals. I viewed it as being so fortunate. A thank you to all that hired me.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.