Skip to comments.Unfortunately, Dinesh DíSouza Gets Israel Wrong in Acclaimed Debate with Bill Ayers
Posted on 02/04/2014 1:45:58 PM PST by SeekAndFind
After their anticipated debate at Dartmouth College, Dinesh DSouza and Bill Ayers took questions from the audience.
DSouzas answer to an audience member’s question about Israel was unfortunate (see 1:31:31 of the debate).
The audience member libeled Israel as an apartheid state, accused it of codifying into law discrimination against Arabs, then asked the debaters why the United States supports such a country.
The answer to this question is obvious.
Israel is not an apartheid state.
More than 1 million Arabs live in Israel and have full civil rights. Arabs constitute 10 percent of the Israeli parliament, and one sits on the Israeli Supreme Court. Arabs make up a large portion of the student population at elite Israeli universities where Arabs teach and have full tenure. The only place where Arabs have freedom of speech and association is in Israel.
Hundreds of gay Palestinian Arabs have actually fled to Israel because of fear for their lives due to their sexual orientation.
Meanwhile, Palestinian President Abbas states openly that not a single Jew will be allowed in a future Palestinian state. In Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive. In Iran gays are hanged. There is plenty of apartheid in the Middle East, but it is not happening in Israel.
But did DSouza mention any of this? Nope.
Instead, he tacitly agreed that Israel is an apartheid state by not challenging that accusation in his answer, and ranting on about how much different Israel is than the United States. He then spoke about how all countries are flawed, saying, We also recognize we live in a big world, and in a big world, we make allies with people, some of whom we agree with 100%, and some of whom we agree with 5%. Why? Because foreign policy is based on the principle of the lesser evil. And you sometimes ally even with the bad guy to get rid of the worse guy. Wow.
The implication clearly being that Israel is a bad guy, but, hey, we allied with Joseph Stalin, too.
He then stated, We have to recognize that Israels fatecertainly over the last 50 yearsis bound up with ours, for better or worse, so, ya know, its a tough spot. I dont agree with everything Israel does. Im not saying we should be giving billions in aid to Israel, or Egypt for that matter, indicating that Israel is a liability for the United States.
The only defense DSouza offered for Israel is that it is an ally of the United States and an outpost of western ideals.
Its a shame, because Israel is currently facing unprecedented pressure. Iran openly declares its intentions to annihilate the Jewish state, while it races towards a nuclear weapon; Israels neighbors, Syria and Egypt, are consumed with utter violence and chaos; and Hamas continues to launch rockets against Israel from the southern border, while Hezbollah amasses rockets in the north. Israels legitimacy is under constant attack around the world by those who wish to isolate it as a unique menace, undeserving of normal relations.
With a large college audience, and facing an open Israel hater and supporter of the BDS movement in Bill Ayerswho of course agreed with the questioner, and condemned Israel as an apartheid State–DSouza had a great opportunity to explain why morality compels one to support the state of Israel. DSouza had a great opportunity to push back against the atrocious lie that Israel is an apartheid state, similar to racist South Africa. He did not do that.
Sheesh. What a missed opportunity.
Antisemitism? Nah. Dinesh is a good Christian.
D'Souza will never learn.
Israeli politics is NOT for the inexperienced.
It is much more complex than most Americans can even imagine.
Pat Buchanan fell into the same trap.
Looks like he’s not as bright as we hoped. Dumb response, or he is a Ron Paul aficionado.
If youd like to be on or off, please FR mail me.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Stalin didn't make alliance with us but with Hitler as proven by the document signed by Ribbentrop and Molotov. After the two totalitarian gentlemen betrayed each other, Stalin graciously agreed to accept our desperately needed help while being crushed to pulp by the Wehrmacht. (As an aside, Stalin held up critical war materiel from reaching the Russian troops while the "Made in America" stamp was ground away.)
I will, of course, go to my grave still hearing the nonsense about how we were allied to Russia in WWII but, just the same, I'll continue to contradict it at every turn while I draw breath.
My objection to Arab complaints is, so what? In the Arab as historically and even today ,in all Muslim states there IS apartheid, where. non-Arabs, and certainly non -Muslims take a back seat if they are allowed to ride the bus at all. Likewise, in Turkey, the Turks are one top. At bottom, Israel is hated not because Arabs, and Muslims dont have equality, but because their enemies hate the very thought of being ruled by Jews. Much as a hundred years ago, white men might have been revolted by the idea of other white men subject to the rule of an African ruler.
Well, we were not allied with Britain and France during WWI, but associated with them.So the Soviets were associated with the West?
The level of ignorance of the state of the law, of rights, of Arab citizens and of governance in Isreal is appaling in the United States, in the U.S. political class, and apparently among some conservatives and even some who rightly support and defend Israel.
There is an Arab-Israeli jurist-citizen on the Supreme Court of Israel. Where is there anyting even remotely approaching that level of Jewish-Arab comity in any Arab or Middle East country - outside of Israel? No place, that’s where.
Israel is officially a place any Jewish person can consider their “homeland” and is allowed to immigrate to. But no non-Jew in Israel in Israel is subject to Jewish religious law and there is complete freedom of religion in Irael.
In “east Jerusalem” Israel has consistently had a vastly more respectful stance with regard to Muslim religious places than Jews were ever permitted when Jordan controlled Jerusalem.
Isreal has far vastly less problem with Arabs living peacefully within Israel as Israeli citizens, or with peaceful Arabs traveling in and out of Israel for work than does ANY Arab state have with Jews anywhere.
All the Jews did was establish a very small area where they could no longer be dominated and oppressed. It would have remained its original small size and contained very few Arabs if it had been left alone. It would not have even held Jerusalem to itself, leaving it divided between eastern and western sides. Israel’s borders grew and grew in a way that its Arab population grew, because the Arab’s political leaders wanted to drive the Jews into the sea, and they failed, and as they failed Israel’s need for a more secure physical position grew as well. The “west bank” is “occupied” because the Arab leaders in the area and foreign Arabs supporting them forever have wanted to undo all the Arab military defeats by Israel and undo the state of Israel altogther. If they did not really want an Israeli “occupation” of the west bank, they could have left tiny insercure Israel in peace since 1948.
The “apartied” charge against Israel denies the cause of a condition that results from the Arabs own role, mistakes and errors from the beginning, in trying to “drive the Jews into the sea”.
RE: A Christian, even a Jewish Christian, has to sit in the back seat. Ditto, the Muslims.
So, when someone gets in a bus, does the driver or conductor first ask — “Are you a Christian or Muslim?” before deciding where he will sit?
How do they do that during rush hour?
And what’s to stop someone from lying about his religion?
Look up “metaphor”.
What’s so freaking complex?
Israel, which has more Nobel Prizes per capita than the United States, France and Germany, AND takes in their enemies children for heart operations, vs ISLAMIC SCUM who use their kids to blow up other people’s who won’t follow the same satan they do?
* ...That Israel has the 4th longest life expectancy in the world: 82.0 years. More than the United Kingdom, the United States and Germany.
* ...That there are 26 official Muslim States, 18 official Christian States, but there is only 1 Jewish State - Israel.
* ...That relative to its size, Israel is the largest immigrant absorbing nation on Earth, it has absorbed 350% of its population in 60 years.
* ...That Israel has more Nobel Prizes per capita than the United States, France and Germany. It has more laureates, in real numbers, than India, Spain and China.
* ...That Israel’s capital city, Jerusalem, is a holy city for Jews, Christians, and Muslims.
* ...That Israel is the only country in the world that entered the 21st century with a net gain of trees, made more remarkable by the fact that it is 60% desert.
* ...That 93% of Israeli homes use Solar energy for water heating, the highest percentage in the world.
* ...That Israel scientific research institutions are ranked 3rd in the world.
* ...That Israel is ranked 2nd in space sciences.
* ...That Israel is one of the ten countries in the world capable of launching its own satellites.
* ...That Israel produces more scientific papers per capita than any other nation by a large margin.
* ...That Israel has the 3rd highest rate of entrepreneurship amongst women in the world.
* ...That Israel has attracted the most venture capital investment per capita in the world, 30 times more than Europe.
* ...That Israel leads the world in patents for medical equipment.
* ...That Israel has more NASDAQ listed companies than any other country, besides the US. More than all of Europe, India, China and Japan combined.
* ...That in proportion to its population Israel has the largest number of startup companies in the world. In absolute numbers Israel has more startup companies than any other country besides the US.
* ...That Israel has the highest number of museums per capita in the world.
* ...That Israel is the 8th happiest country on Earth.
* ...That Israel has one of the best healthcare systems in the world according to OECD.
* ...That Israel is ranked 16th in the Human Development Index. It’s the highest standard of living in the Middle East, and the third highest in Asia.
* ...That Israel is ranked 27th in terms of Gross domestic product per capita with $32,297.
* ...That Israel is among the top three countries in cyber attack defense.
* ...That Israel is the country which offers the best conditions for clean technology startup companies after Denmark.
* ...That Israel has the highest ratio of university degrees to population in the world.
* ...That Israel is the second-most educated country after Canada.
* ...That Israel is the Middle Easts only “free” state, according to Freedom House annual report.
* ...That almost 1/3 of all Israelis do volunteer work.
* ...The proportion of women among R&D workers in Israel is approximately 23.4%. This puts Israel in second place behind Denmark. Women earned 37% of all degrees granted in science and engineering in Israel, one of the highest proportions in the world.
“Pat Buchanan fell into the same trap.”
I admire his stance on borders, but he and anyone who lets their personal jew-hatred get in the way of acknowledging that helping preserve Israel IS IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE U.S. is a freaking MORON.
No, but he might if he asked to drive, or even to be the tour guide. In America, a hundred years ago, we had a democratic society but there was a pecking order, and everyone knew where to sit. Neither Christians nor Muslims in Israel find themselves related to a place comparable to that occupied by American blacks or even Russian Jewish immigrants in 1914, but a Christian Jew in the Israeli cabinet? Forgive me if I have overlooked such a person.
Finally, someone says it here at FR. D’Souza has had praise for Osama Bin Laden’s wonderful hatred for Western degenerate culture (although caught at the end watching porno movies!) And he’s praised Khomeini’s “family values.” What conservative likes modern culture? But it’s not necessary to praise murderous tyrants to prove it.
>> Instead, he tacitly agreed that Israel is an apartheid state by not challenging that accusation in his answer
Unless there’s a pattern, this is silly.
>> DSouza has had praise for Osama Bin Ladens wonderful hatred for Western degenerate culture (although caught at the end watching porno movies!)
What’s with the porno reference?
Hope you didn’t get me wrong friend.
I LOVE Israel and the Israeli people!
In my travels I’ve never been anyplace which valued quality education more than Israel.
I got a chance to spend three months there and got paid to do it.
I spent a great deal of time listening to locals what it was like to live there.
Tried to learn some Hebrew but was never very good at it.
It was the locals who said Israeli politics is difficult to understand.
After thee months there, I asked if they would consider me staying as an expat. I found out I’d have to take a 40% pay cut.
Part of me wishes I had stayed.
I forgot to add.
I HATE Pat Buchanan.
I wasn’t accusing you of anything either way.
But imho I think you are mixing up internal Israel politics with Israel’s relationship with her arab neighbors / enemies, (which obviously relate to each other), which is what this thread was originaly about, and about which I think Buchanon is off base on as well.
I admire him and D’Souza on many other conservative issues.
Afaict, Pat’s problem is with “The Jews” “of the world and of Israel” who he doesn’t believe should fight for the same defensible borders/language/culture (H/T Michael Savage)for themselves that he believes we Americans should be fighting for ourselves.
I have no idea what D’Souza’s problem is; by this article I’d say it’s basic ignorance.