Posted on 08/07/2003 7:42:21 AM PDT by NormsRevenge
Edited on 04/13/2004 3:31:42 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]
The Democratic Party's crumbling unity behind Gray Davis collapsed Wednesday as Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante announced he would run in the Oct. 7 recall election. Insurance Commissioner John Garamendi is close to entering the race.
Davis has been trying to keep prominent party members from adding their names to the ballot of replacement candidates for fear it would make it harder for the governor to press his case to keep his job.
(Excerpt) Read more at bayarea.com ...
Davis can NOT be a candidate on the ballot. Sorry Boxer, try again.
"Arnold Schwarzeneggar ended the suspense Wednesday and jumped into the race for California governor," reports The Associated Press, just as extremely reliable sources had not predicted. Only moments before, the Associated Press said Arnold Schwarzenegger would end the suspense and not jump into the race for California governor. All week, ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN/MSNBC, citing very, very, very, very "reliable sources," had been saying that Schwarzenegger would end the suspense and not jump into the race for California governor.Not content with getting just one prediction wrong, those very, very "reliable sources" are at it again, asserting Schwarzenegger ain't no match for extremely popular governor Gray Davis, locked in a tight race in recent polls with the energy crisis, SARS, Scott Peterson and yellowcake uranium from Africa.
"The politicians are fiddling, fumbling and failing," said Schwarzenegger, who made his surprise announcement during taping of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. "The man that is failing the people more than anyone is Gray Davis. He is failing them terribly, and this is why he needs to be recalled and this is why I am going to run for governor."
Gray Davis blames the recall petitions to recall Davis for the fine mess the state is in. The recall petitions not only made Davis sex down the size of the deficit last November, it created the energy crisis, hiked auto taxes, hiked college fees, laid off thousands of workers, blocked payments to hospitals, caused the dot-com collapse, given the state the lowest bond rating and most incompetent governor in the Union. Accordingly, Democrats angrily denounce the recall petitions, calling such democracy a danger to democracy. The AP, citing a statement from Californians Against the Costly Recall, warns "voters of the cost of a special recall election, estimated by the secretary of state's office at $67 million -- 'money which would be better spent" on Gray Davis and his wonderful programs for "our schools and children" -- programs which would work swimmingly if only the recall petitions would let them!
Democrat Sen. Dianne Feinstein, whose party looks more and more like a carnival every day, also blasted the recall petitions, labeling the election "more and more like a carnival every day." Feinstein also said she thought a "great deal" about joining the carnival. More and more every day. But, in the end, she decided against a run to unseat governor Bozo, given the fabulous job he's doing making Sacramento look more and more like a carnival every day. Ol' Gray hailed the Feinstein announcement as good news. Without Feinstein on the ballot, people will love Gray Davis even more, he figures.
Feinstein's announcement sent worried Democrats, who say they ain't worried and call Schwarzegger a joke and say Gray Davis isn't vulnerable to defeat, scrambling for Plan B, just in case they're worried and Schwarzegger isn't a joke and Gray Davis is vulnerable to defeat. The name most often talked about among party big wigs is Leon Panetta. If that doesn't work, there's Plan C -- Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante. If that don't work, there's Plan D -- Attorney General Bill Lockyer. If that doesn't work, there's Plan E -- Controller Steve Westly. If that doesn't work, there's Plan F -- Insurance Commissioner John Garamendi. If that doesn't work, there's Plan G -- Treasurer Phil Angelides! If that doesn't work, I've got the perfect solution. Democrats need a high name ID candidate, no? Someone well-known, and well respected by Democrats. Someone who can energize the Democrat base, get the Democrat heart racing with excitement, right? Perfect solution for Democrats: Saddam Hussein!
"President Bush and Secretary of State Colin Powell jointly dismissed 'speculation' questions about whether Powell would serve in a second Bush term," The Associated Press reported Wednesday.
"Washington, particularly in August, is a dangerous time because there's a lot of speculation," said Bush, speaking to reporters in Crawford, Texas, Powell at his side. "I understand the game," he added, "but first things first. We've got a year and a while during the first term."
At the center of the growing controversy which has embroiled the Washington Post were 28 words, since discredited, contained in a Monday report which claimed that "Secretary of State Colin L. Powell and his deputy, Richard L. Armitage, have signaled to the White House that they intend to step down even if President Bush is reelected."
Senior administration officials, including National Security Affairs adviser Condoleezza Rice, as well as Bush and Powell, have since strongly challenged the claim, attributed to anonymous sources, saying those 28 words should not have been in the report.
To date, no one at the Washington Post has taken full responsibility for those 28 words, since discredited, nor explained exactly how those 28 words, since discredited, managed to slip through the vetting process to land in a major 'report.' Before publication, did senior Post editors read the final draft containing those 28 words, since discredited? Did their deputies see the final draft? Or were those 28 words, partly or wholly, based on forged documents? Did editors communicate to news personnel any doubts about the questionable claim in those 28 words? If so, who talked to whom? Was inclusion of those 28 words an honest mistake, or did the Post deliberately attempt to deceive? Was the false report an isolated event, or part of a pattern of deception at the Post? The paper has sought to dodge such questions all week, fueling the growing controversy. Further, there was no indication that senior staff writer, Glenn Kessler, who wrote the now-discredited report, felt any personal responsibility for including tainted or misleading information in his article, raising even more questions.
Amid the swirling controversy and growing credibility gap, critics charge the paper intentionally included those 28 words, since discredited, to hype 'divisions' within the Bush administration regarding U.S. Iraq policy and to help '04 political opponents make the case for 'regime change' in Washington and justify attacking the President, even under false pretenses. Without Powell's 'moderating' influence, say worried Democrats, a second-term Bush could pose an imminent threat to the safety and security of every career dictator in the world!
My Two Cents..
"JohnHuang2"
How did the media handle the breaking news - occuring as it did during a 5:30pm taping that aired hours later? Did they immediately air the news or wait for the Tonight Show to air?
Michael
Michael
Mr McAuliffe ..... your crow is served.
I will be glad to see Saturday come and go, so we finally have a real list of candidates to dissect.
I agree, the sight of the demRats scurrying about is priceless. Hiram would be pleased. ;-)
A Kodak Moment,indeed.
Did they immediately air the news or wait for the Tonight Show to air?
None of the cable nets -- even MSNBC -- had an inkling of the bombshell till around taping time (7:30 EST), but, near as I can tell, they immediately afterwards aired the surprise announcement.
Former Olympics, baseball chief Ueberroth considers run
From Judy Woodruff
CNN
Thursday, August 7, 2003 Posted: 3:43 AM EDT (0743 GMT)
Peter Ueberroth
Story Tools
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- With the filing deadline only two days away, former U.S. Olympics President and former Baseball Commissioner Peter Ueberroth has decided to take the first step in a potential bid to replace California Gov. Gray Davis in an October 7 recall election, sources close to the Republican businessman told CNN.
The sources said Ueberroth, 65, will pull the necessary paperwork for a candidacy Thursday and will make a final decision no later than Friday. The deadline for gubernatorial candidates to file is Saturday.
Sources close to the Republican businessman said Wednesday's announcement by actor Arnold Schwarzenegger will not deter him from continuing to give the race serious consideration.
The sources also said that if Ueberroth runs, he would do so as an Independent, pledging to have a bipartisan campaign staff and a bipartisan governor's office.
A potential Ueberroth campaign, the sources said, would focus almost exclusively on California's economic and fiscal crisis, pledging to bring discipline in the same way he "saved" the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984.
His efforts in turning around the troubled L.A. Olympics committee earned him the honor of Time Magazine's Man of the Year in January 1985.
Ueberroth went from the Olympics to become Commissioner of the National Baseball League and later headed Rebuild L.A. -- a citywide campaign in the early 1990s to rejuvenate economically depressed sections of Los Angeles.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/08/07/recall.ueberroth/
Scapegoats.. LOL .. The 'rats are a little busy to be making anyone but themselves their own worst enemies right now. ;-)
Tom is asking for folks to spread the word and has a couple of websites to check out on his positions, etc. Hell, he pulled over 3.1 million last November, If he pulls 2 million or more of that this October, that ain't chump change . :-)
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.