Skip to comments.Priest caught naked pleads not guilty to indecent exposure
Posted on 12/19/2007 6:46:05 AM PST by Alex Murphy
A Catholic priest who was busted for jogging naked in the town of Frederick has pleaded not guilty to indecent exposure.
Father Robert Whipkey, 54, of Saint Teresa's parish, was also slapped with a mandatory restraining order against the Frederick police officer who found him naked. In addition to that, the judge also ordered him to get fingerprinted.
Whipkey arrived in court without saying a word accompanied by two lawyers.
It was June 22 when Whipkey was caught walking down a street naked. He told police he had been jogging around the track at Frederick high school at 4:30 in the morning, in the nude.
It was still dark at the time and he told police he "didn't think anyone would be around." The officer cited Whipkey with indecent exposure.
His excuse was that he "sweats profusely and didn't want to wear any clothing while he ran."
The Archdiocese placed Whipkey on administrative leave
This wasn't the first complaint against him.
Eight years ago, in Sterling, Whipkey was caught shaving naked at a summer camp for boys. The archdiocese responded to those concerns too, but he was never disciplined or criminally charged.
Neither Whipkey nor his attorneys would comment on the current case.
Whipkey will stand trial on March 25th at the Weld County Courthouse in Greeley. His trial is expected to last two days.
Father Bob Whipkey, jogging nekkid..... Can’t ask for a more descriptive name.
“Scuse me while I Whip(key) this out.”
Ya know, a one-strike-yer-out policy makes a lot of sense for these things.
The (alleged) Perp
Actually, Whipkey's prior behavior is more lurid than that. Among the specific details of his past activities, he has also allegedly given nude "sex talks" to 11-year-old boys while on a three-day camping trip while at his previous parish in Sterling Colorado, as reported on Catholic World News...
Leave? He should be laicized, excommunicated for moral turpitude and they should take his pension.
The Archdiocese has dodged a bullet here - they need to be proactive.
Right up there with the Rector of Stiffkey.
“But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.” /nostalgia
“Honest officer, I was just helping this sheep over the fence............”
Its ok it’s Colorado.
Dismissed not laicized.
"Nekkid" reminds of a remark made by a certain late comedian, whose name escapes me, who said something like:
"There's a difference between being naked and being nekkid.
'Naked' is to have no clothes on.
'Nekkid' is having no clothes on and being up to no good."
I know I got to this thread tremendously late, but I have to tell you that I woke my hubby up laughing at your post.
I love Blazing Saddles. You’ve made my week!!!!
- A motions hearing is scheduled for January 31st
- A pretrial conference is scheduled for March 7
- The Weld County Judge is Michele Meyer
- The Prosecutor is Kent Leier
- The Defense lawyers are Matt Giacomini and Doug Tisdale
- The Denver Post coverage mentioned that, on the same day that Whipkey's "not guilty" plea was entered, a lawyer representing Whipkey (presumably one of the Tisdales) said the priest deeply regretted any discomfort and embarrassment that the situation had caused Catholics in the archdiocese, his family or anyone else.
- According to the CW2 coverage, Father Whipkey was slapped with a mandatory restraining order against the Frederick police officer who found him naked, and ordered Whipkey to be fingerprinted.
- According to the Times-Call coverage, the Archdiocese of Denver had yet to surrender Whipkey's personnel records to the Weld County Prosecutor at the time of the arraignment hearing.