Skip to comments.The politics of race and religion — in two pie charts
Posted on 09/13/2012 6:55:21 AM PDT by Alex Murphy
Lets start on the Republican side. Fully 87 percent of those who identify themselves as Republicans or Republican-leaners are white in 2012 Pew polling while just 5 percent are Hispanic and four percent are black.
When it comes to the religious affiliations of GOPers and GOP leaners, the largest bloc are white evangelical Protestants who comprise roughly one in every three Republicans (34 percent). Heres the full GOP religious affiliation chart via Pew:
Now, for the Democrats. As expected, the party is more racially diverse. Sixty-one percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaners are white while 21 percent are black and 10 percent are Hispanic.
When it comes to religious affiliation, the biggest group of Democrats roughly one in every four identify as religiously unaffiliated. The next largest bloc are black Protestants who comprise 16 percent of all Democrats and Democratic leaners in Pew polling.
Heres the full breakout of Democratic religious affiliation by party ID:
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
It also leaves over 50% of Catholics unaccounted for. Where are they?
Nice pie chart, WaPo, but it leaves more questions than it answers.
One of the tenets of Protestantism is the recognition that God has chosen Israel as a nation and a people as a symbol of His sovereignty. He has the right to choose a people. Therefore those who oppose Jews or their birthright are aligning themselves with Satan who is on the other side of the equation.
Where’s the Jewish and the moslem percentages?
According to the pie chart, only 17% of Blacks polled are Christians. What did the remaining 83% identify as?
“Religiously unaffiliated” = not religious. And that’s the largest slice of the Dem pie. Helps explain a lot.
There really should be a percentage breakout of the Jewish faith and the Muslim “religion”. I would also like to see a number for the Mormons. One would think with a Mormon running for President that this certainly would be a percentage of interest. I really don’t know what the Mormon numbers are but I’m suspicious of the WaPo for leaving these percentages out.
I suspect that one of the purposes of this report was to classify Mormons as “non-Christian.”
Mormons and Muslims are such tiny groups that they are hard to isolate.
Not really. There are non-orthodoxy groups that have differing views. Come on, quix used to call them "replacementarians" -- I believe he was (as usual) exaggerating, but that is a difference in belief
you can say that its a core belief of most pentecostals and evangelicals, but it is not true of all non-Catholic groups
I also point out that historically that is not the case with various non-catholic groups who have controlled the UK, Netherlands, German Empire (NOT Nazis who were not Christians) etc.
The view you stated is exclusively that of American Baptists, Evangelicals, Pentecostals -- iirc the Baptists in the UK came up with Anglo-Israeliism
But to the point, the anti-Israeli viewpoint is among 3 groups:
the last group is the largest, people who don't see enough of history
the Jews took a barren land and made it bloom in the early 1900s. The Christian Arabs there are locals and yes, some Druze and Sunni Moslems.
However, the real reason for Moslems not giving up is because of the Dome of the Rock.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.