1) The Meaning of Marriage & Sexual Difference
1. Marriage: Whats a good starting point?
2. Where does marriage come from?
3. What is marriage?
4. Why cant marriage be redefined to include two men or two women?
5. What is sexual difference?
6. Isnt marriage just about love and commitment between two people?
7. Why does a persons gender matter for marriage?
8. How is the love between a husband and a wife irreducibly unique?
9. What is complementarity?
10. Why does the Catholic Church care so much about marriage?
11. Where can I learn more about marriage?
2) The Gift of Children
1. What does marriage have to do with children?
2. Does the Church think that marriage is a mere instrument for having children?
3. Whats the difference between a husband and wife who cant have children, and two persons of the same sex, who also cant have children?
4. Why is a child meant to have both a father and a mother?
5. What about single parents? These families lack a father or a mother, just like households headed by two men or two women.
6. Arent children adaptable to many different family forms?
7. Dont studies show that children do fine with two moms or two dads?
8. What about adoption?
9. New technology like in vitro fertilization (IVF) can enable two men or two women to have a child. Why does the Church teach that this is unacceptable?
3) The Common Good & Human Dignity
1. What does intrinsic dignity of the human person mean?
2. What does marriage have to do with human dignity?
3. Does the Church believe that people who experience same-sex attraction have equal dignity?
4. What does the common good mean?
5. Isnt marriage a private relationship? What does it have to do with the common good?
6. Isnt marriage just a religious issue that the government should stay out of?
7. What are basic human rights?
8. Is marriage a basic human right?
9. Whats the harm of same-sex marriage?
10. But isnt it unjust discrimination to not allow two men (or two women) to marry?
11. What about civil rights?
12. Isnt allowing two men or two women to marry just an extension of allowing interracial couples to marry?
13. What about equality and fairness?
14. What about civil unions or domestic partnerships between two persons of the same sex?
4) Religious Liberty
1. What is religious liberty?
2. How are marriage and religious liberty connected?
3. How could changing the legal definition of marriage have any effect on religious liberty?
4. But would ministers really be forced to officiate at the wedding of two persons of the same-sex?
5. Whats the real threat to religious liberty posed by same-sex marriage?
6. Have any of these threats come to pass?
7. Doesnt a religious exemption protect institutions and individuals if they believe that marriage can only be between a man and a woman?