To be perfectly fair, this article is highly misleading.
When the term “Mormon” is used, it generally references the LDS of Salt Lake.
The FLDS are indeed “fundamentalist” Mormons, but don’t have much more in common with the LDS than the People’s Temple have with “other” Christians.
The Peoples’ Temple massacre shouldn’t have been reported as the doings of Christians, and this shouldn’t be reported, without further explanation, as the doings of Mormons.
It also isn’t news. It’s been widely known for decades that the cops in Short Creek put obedience to the Prophet before obedience to the laws of man.
Isn’t the FLDS a large and widespread denomination of Mormonism?
I believe it is the largest denomination outside of the Salt lake portion.
To be perfectly fair, I don’t think that comparing it Peoples Temple, or them to Christianity is fair, for one thing the FLDS are truer to Mormonism, they aren’t like the Jim Jones cult was to whatever he claimed.
Theologically the Flds have a LOT in common with the LDS.
Sociologically the Flds have a LOT in common with where Mormons were up into the early part of the 20th century.
Remember, 'twas 1945 before the Lds had a "prophet" who wasn't a polygamist!
When the term Mormon is used, it generally references the LDS of Salt Lake.
The first Mormon, Joseph Smith never did make it to Utah Territory...
He wasnt an LDS of Salt lake either...
and yet your LDS AKA Mormons of Salt Lake worship him along with the LDS AKA Mormons of Hillsdale...
and believe the same religious books he wrote...
this shouldnt be reported, without further explanation, as the doings of Mormons.
ME !!! ME !!! ME !!!
I know the answer !!!
‘What they do is say, “Everybody watch her so she won’t run away”. Then she can’t leave,’ Horne said.
Horne could have been talking about Salt Lake and Utah Territory under Brigham Young...
Now ya know...
It is news to me. At it's about time, this news is making it that it IS more widely known. Thanks Colofornian.
This is horrible and what a LIE to say having so many wives is from God. And they are not Christian. Satan is the master of liars.
FLDS members openly engage in plural marriages. Most LDS members are not open about their plural marriages; they are closet bigamists.
This article is from January this year.
Because it is a news story just one month old, even if people have hear reports for years does not make the information invalid.
flds follow the original teachings of Joseph Smith, it is the current SLC lds that do not.
The flds who have called themselves mormons since their foundation, have the same or greater claim to the word mormon than SLC lds.
And it was posted by one of FR's most HATEFUL bigots!!!
We all KNOW that Headquarters (the legal counsel guys) has sent out warning letters to media outlets proclaiming that ONLY the SLC folks are to be called MORMON!; yet this person (spit) continues to claim that that FUNDIES are the 'true' MORMONs; just because they happen to follow our precious scripture faithfully!
--MormonDude(This "C" person is gettin' me HOT!)
That happens every now and then.
1. The prophet is the only man who speaks for the Lord in everything.
2. The living prophet is more vital to us than the standard works.
3. The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet.
4. The prophet will never lead the church astray.
5. The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time.
6. The prophet does not have to say Thus Saith the Lord, to give us scripture.
7. The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.
8. The prophet is not limited by mens reasoning.
9. The prophet can receive revelation on any matter, temporal or spiritual.
10. The prophet may advise on civic matters.
11. The two groups who have the greatest difficulty in following the prophet are the proud who are learned and the proud who are rich.
12. The prophet will not necessarily be popular with the world or the worldly.
13. The prophet and his counselors make up the First Presidencythe highest quorum in the Church.
14. The prophet and the presidencythe living prophet and the First Presidencyfollow them and be blessedreject them and suffer.
I testify that these fourteen fundamentals in following the living prophet are true. If we want to know how well we stand with the Lord then let us ask ourselves how well we stand with His mortal captainhow close do our lives harmonize with the Lords anointedthe living ProphetPresident of the Church, and with the Quorum of the First Presidency.
Ezra Taft Benson
(Address given Tuesday, February 26, 1980 at Brigham Young University) http://www.lds.org/liahona/1981/06/fourteen-fundamentals-in-following-the-prophet?lang=eng