Skip to comments.[catholic-hierarchy] Consistory to Create New Cardinals, 2014 (now with Names!) [Catholic Caucus]
Posted on 01/12/2014 5:31:19 AM PST by sitetest
The consistory had been announced on 31 Oct 2013 to be held on 22 Feb 2014. This will be the first consistory to create new cardinals by Pope Francis. The following will be added to the College of Cardinals at that time:
16 Cardinal Electors: * Pietro Parolin, Secretary of State; Age: 59.1
* Lorenzo Baldisseri, Secretary General of the Synod of Bishops; Age: 73.4
* Gerhard Ludwig Müller, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith; Age: 66.1
* Beniamino Stella, Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy; Age: 72.5
* Vincent Gerard Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster, England, Great Britain; Age: 68.3
* Leopoldo José Brenes Solórzano, Archbishop of Managua, Nicaragua; Age: 65.0
* Gérald Cyprien Lacroix, I.S.P.X., Archbishop of Québec, Canada; Age: 56.6
* Jean-Pierre Kutwa, Archbishop of Abidjan, Côte dIvoire; Age: 68.2
* Orani João Tempesta, O. Cist., Archbishop of São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Age: 63.
* Gualtiero Bassetti, Archbishop of Perugia-Città della Pieve, Italy; Age: 71.9
* Mario Aurelio Poli, Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Argentina; Age: 66.2
* Andrew Yeom Soo-jung, Archbishop of Seoul, Korea (South); Age: 70.2
* Ricardo Ezzati Andrello, S.D.B., Archbishop of Santiago de Chile; Age: 72.1
* Philippe Ouédraogo, Archbishop of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso; Age: 69.1
* Orlando Beltran Quevedo, O.M.I., Archbishop of Cotabato, Philippines; Age: 74.9
* Chibly Langlois, Bishop of Les Cayes, Haïti; Age: 55.2 Plus 3 Cardinals already over the age of 80:
* Loris Francesco Capovilla, Prelate Emeritus of Loreto, Italy; Age: 98.4
* Fernando Sebastián Aguilar, C.M.F., Archbishop Emeritus of Pamplona y Tudela, Spain; Age: 84.2
* Kelvin Edward Felix, Archbishop Emeritus of Castries, Saint Lucia, Antilles; Age: 81.0
I was under the impression that you aren't Catholic. I posted this as a Catholic Caucus thread to avoid non-Catholic commentary.
Dear Religion Moderator - I'd appreciate it if knarf’s comment could be removed.
Interesting group! I hope Fr. Capovilla, “Prelate Emeritus of Loreto,” lives long enough to celebrate his installation!
Nobody from the US. Some odd choices, IMHO.
I’ve always hoped to see Bishop Slattery of Tulsa named a Cardinal. He has such lovely white hair.
Too bad he named Nichols. At least he didn’t name Gomez...that’s a really good thing.
Thanks for the ping.
It was surprising that Nichols was appointed in the first place (by BXVI). Someone on a Spanish blog I read a lot noted that many of Benedict’s episcopal appointments were not very good.
The appointments all depend on the nuncio, and we were fortunate to have a very good one here under Benedict. He died suddenly last year, but his replacement has also been very good.
I don’t think the British nuncio was that good, unfortunately, which is why they got Nichols.
On the other hand, maybe we didn’t get a Cardinal because Francis regards the recent appointees as too conservative. Archbishop Chaput should certainly have been a cardinal; granted, Philadelphia is not an important place, but Haiti (which got a cardinal) isn’t a very important place, either. Most of Francis’ appointments seem to be from the “social justice” crowd, which is unfortunate, since “social justice” now means “government intervention.”
He may not red hat Gomez until Roger Michael is 80.
pbear8: I was going to say the same thing. Cardinal Mahoney turns 78 next month, Cardinal Rigali [Emeritus Archbishop of Philly] turns 79 in April. I don’t think LA and Philly will get 2 voting cardinals eligible for a conclave at the same time. So, Archbishops Gomez and Chaput will not be elevated to Cardinal-Archbishop until 2016, and 2015 respectively, assuming a Consistory is called in both years.
For a new Archbishop for Hartford, Leonard Blair who is from Ohio, has been making an effort to visit the parishes.
I agree. As one example, three folks from South America, but the Archbishop of Baltimore, no.
This pope seems very parochial to me.
Always and issue at age 98.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.