Skip to comments.'Newsweek' Editor Declares Era of 'American Exceptionalism is Over'
Posted on 05/05/2008 11:50:22 AM PDT by george76
NBC's "Today" show invited on "Newsweek International" editor Fareed Zakaria to promote his book "The Post-American World," on Monday's show and during his segment the author depicted the United States as a nation in decline as he declared the "era" of "'American exceptionalism' is over."
As examples of America's declining standing in the world the "Newsweek" editor cited such facts as China now having the "Largest ferris wheel in the world," Minneapolis' "Mall of America" no longer being the largest in the world and Macau having surpassed Las Vegas in the size of their casinos.
(Excerpt) Read more at newsbusters.org ...
I trust that Fareed has renounced his U.S. citizenship?
We still have the tallest steel roller coaster - So there Newsweek!
“The basis most commonly cited for American exceptionalism is the idea that the United States and its people hold a special place in the world, by offering opportunity and hope for humanity, derived from a unique balance of public and private interests governed by constitutional ideals that are focused on personal and economic freedom”
Fareed mistakes malls and ferris wheels for what makes us special in the world. Newsweek..pfft
In truth, Newsweek is a pipsqueak in the news world....and it's because of "editors" like this quack.
Yeah, you might as well curl up with a copy of PARADE to get your international affairs data.
Only with regard to news magazines.
And we don’t use excess apostrophes!
I am going to say it as forthrightly as I can. In this the US is right and the rest of the World is wrong. The Metric system is just downright stupid for 95% of human activity. For the remaining 5%, the specialty trades can and will use metric measurements, even in the US.
If you let people decide what to use, they will use the US measurements for everyday use. The only way Metric can gain prominence is to be imposed from above.
On television, Zakaria hosted the weekly Foreign Exchange with Fareed Zakaria news show for PBS. From 2002 until 2007, he was a regular member of the roundtable of ABC News's This Week with George Stephanopoulos and an analyst for ABC News.
I’m not sure that’s fair to PARADE.
My M-I-L INSISTS that the “journalists” at Newsweek are completely objective and therefore a completely reliable source of information.
I couldn’t continue the conversation because I was laughing too hard.
When asked if this means the United Sates can now stop funding the United Nations and third world despots, Fareed started stuttering.
Indeed, an employee of the dinosaur media is promoing a book commenting on the lack of American exceptionalism. Somebody needs to buy the guy a clue. However, the book does speak volumes concerning the reduced capacities among the Newsweek hangers-on.
Yeah, people keep saying it...and we keep proving them wrong.
Now, with the current crop of lameass choices for President we might take a DIP--but eventually we'll pull ourselves out. Another great leader will come to the fore...but Hitlery, Hussein and McLame aren't going to fill the bill.
Because he can’t live in all of those places.
So what that one country has a bigger ferris wheel or that another bigger casinos and another has a bigger mall...we have ALL of those.
Seriously, Fareed Zakaria is a d*%chebag.