I used to think that Mormons were pro-life. But I no longer think they are reliably pro-life. Otherwise, why would they continue to vote for someone like Dingy Harry? Or why should they overwhelmingly support Bishop Romney, even though he has loudly declared that he is pro-choice. Then he says he is pro-life. Then he pushes through taxpayer-funded abortion in Massachusetts. And all through these flip flops, the rank and file Mormons continue to overwhelmingly support him.
Same with gay marriage. Mormons worked publicly and hard to block gay marriage in California, and earned a lot of leftist attacks. But they don't hestitate to support Romney, even though he has proven to be a gay activist who imposed the first gay marriage mandate in Massachusetts, leading the way for politicians in other states.
In other words, rank and file Mormons seem willing to do whatever their sect leaders tell them to do. Having living prophets is much the same as the liberals with their living constitution. It means, "Do whatever I say, and shut up."
And just WHERE did you come up with THIS idea???
1. The prophet is the only man who speaks for the Lord in everything.
2. The living prophet is more vital to us than the standard works.
3. The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet.
4. The prophet will never lead the church astray.
5. The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time.
6. The prophet does not have to say Thus Saith the Lord, to give us scripture.
7. The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.
8. The prophet is not limited by mens reasoning.
9. The prophet can receive revelation on any matter, temporal or spiritual.
10. The prophet may advise on civic matters.
11. The two groups who have the greatest difficulty in following the prophet are the proud who are learned and the proud who are rich.
12. The prophet will not necessarily be popular with the world or the worldly.
13. The prophet and his counselors make up the First Presidencythe highest quorum in the Church.
14. The prophet and the presidencythe living prophet and the First Presidencyfollow them and be blessedreject them and suffer.
I testify that these fourteen fundamentals in following the living prophet are true. If we want to know how well we stand with the Lord then let us ask ourselves how well we stand with His mortal captainhow close do our lives harmonize with the Lords anointedthe living ProphetPresident of the Church, and with the Quorum of the First Presidency.
Ezra Taft Benson
(Address given Tuesday, February 26, 1980 at Brigham Young University) http://www.lds.org/liahona/1981/06/fourteen-fundamentals-in-following-the-prophet?lang=eng
Harry Reid is the Senator from Nevada, not Utah. Why do you say Mormons "continue to vote for" him?
Mormons worked publicly and hard to block gay marriage in California
No they were just doing busy work so that they wouldnt have to support the non-Mormon John Mccain...
Ya notice nothing is distracting then this time now that they have their own boy in place ???
If Wee Willie had not suceeded in destroying the Conservative candidates, the Mormons would have found something to occupy their time and money...
Even if it was finger painting the crosswalks in temple square..
Aren't there Cafeteria Mormons just like Cafeteria Catholics? Could Dingy have rose to the level in the church that he's comfortable with, and now flaunts his occasionally anti-Mormon ideals in the Senate because he knows the homers in Salt Lake (and neighboring Nevada) won't dare oppose his power.