Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Senator Seeks POW Status For Navy Pilot Shot Down In Gulf War
Sun Spot ^ | March 11, 2002 | Pauline Jelinek

Posted on 03/12/2002 5:43:51 PM PST by Lady In Blue

http://www.sunspot.net/news/nationworld/bal-pilot11.story?coll=bal-nationworld-headlines

Senator seeks POW status for Navy pilot shot down in Gulf War

Roberts: 'No evidence he was killed'; Paper cites new information in case

By Pauline Jelinek

The Associated Press


March 11, 2002, 4:00 PM EST

WASHINGTON -- At first, the Navy said Lt. Cmdr Michael S. Speicher was killed in the Gulf War, then that he was missing.

Now, Republican Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas wants the fighter pilot's status changed again -- to prisoner of war -- on the possibility he was captured by Iraq and is still alive.

Iraq's government has called the idea a "silly lie," and Pentagon officials said today they've seen nothing to warrant a change in Speicher's status.

"I get very angry about that," said Roberts, who wrote the Pentagon asking for a change in Speicher's status. "The bottom line is there's no evidence he was killed."

The Pentagon says Speicher, 33, of Jacksonville Fla., was shot down when his F/A-18 Hornet was struck by a missile on Jan. 17, 1991, the first night of the war to drive Iraq from Kuwait.

Another pilot said he saw the fireball and did not see Speicher eject. When the crash site was excavated in 1995, no human remains were found among the aircraft's debris.

An investigation found that the plane had hit the desert floor in a spin and that Speicher had at least started the sequence of actions needed to eject, the Pentagon says.

Speicher -- the first American lost in the war and the only one still unaccounted for -- was declared killed in action several months later. But the Navy redesignated him missing in action last year on the basis of what officials said were intelligence reports from several different sources.

The reports were received over several years but the sightings were in 1991 and 1992, officials said at the time. The veracity of the reports was uncertain but credible enough to lead American government officials to think Speicher probably survived the crash.

When Speicher's status was changed to missing, the State Department asked Iraq through the International Committee of the Red Cross and other channels for information on Speicher.

Quoting anonymous sources, The Washington Times reported today that the CIA and Defense Intelligence Agency now have new information. It regards someone who had been in Iraq and said he learned an American pilot was being held captive, the newspaper said, adding the information was received several months ago.

Lt. Cmdr. Jim Brooks, DIA spokesman, would say only that officials "get reports all the time."

"We investigate every report. We have folks that work this case on a full-time basis," Brooks said.

Several other officials suggested privately that if Iraq were holding the pilot, President Saddam Hussein would have tried to use the case to his benefit long ago.

A briefing two weeks ago revealed nothing new to Senate Intelligence Committee members, Roberts said, but another briefing is coming up this week or next.

Roberts' interest in the case is that Speicher spent his early years in the Kansas City area. A critic of the Pentagon system for accounting for men and women in uniform, Roberts said that although the military has improved in recent years, it was slow to investigate sightings and other reports at the time Speicher was first missing.

Roberts said POW status for Speicher would reassure military personnel that their government would stand by them and send "a symbolic message not only to Iraq but to other adversaries current and future."

"By stating to the world that we indeed believe that Cmdr. Speicher survived -- at lest for some period of time -- in Iraqi custody, we would acknowledge his unique and honored service as an American Gulf War POW," Roberts told Rumsfeld in his letter.

"I have discussed this with President Bush and have been assured it is very high on his agenda," Roberts said in an interview.

Copyright © 2002, The Associated Press


TOPICS: Foreign Affairs
KEYWORDS: missingnavypilot
FYI
1 posted on 03/12/2002 5:43:51 PM PST by Lady In Blue
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Lady In Blue
It seems like the mainstream news is awful quiet about this.
2 posted on 03/12/2002 6:00:43 PM PST by Husker24
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #3 Removed by Moderator

To: Bozak
I agree.I don't believe he's alive either.If Saddam had this pilot,he would have paraded him around.And wouldn't he have wanted something in return for Speicher? And why would only 2 people be allowed to see him? It just doesn't make any sense.If Speicher did manage to survive(which I doubt)I believe that Hussein would have executed him.Why would he keep him alive this long without trying to get something for him?
4 posted on 03/12/2002 6:46:21 PM PST by Lady In Blue
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Husker24
I did a search before I posted this thread and there's several articles about him.CNN was among the articles.Hannity intervied the Congressman today about this.
5 posted on 03/12/2002 6:47:49 PM PST by Lady In Blue
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Lady In Blue
Senator Wants Missing Pilot Called POW
6 posted on 03/12/2002 7:32:04 PM PST by SMEDLEYBUTLER
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #7 Removed by Moderator

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson