To: TheDon; El Sordo
Try imagining a reason for the South to secede if slavery had never been introduced to the Americas
How 'bout these in addition to South Carolinas attempts to secede.....
- 1798-99: Virginia and Kentucky Resolves - states could nullify national law if they violated individual state rights
- 1804: Massachusetts plotted to secede and tried to get New York to withdraw from the union and establish a "Northern Confederacy".
- 1807: Embargo Act New Jersey was going to secede due prohibition of foreign trade
- 1814: Delegates from several New England states threatened to secede over President James Madison's war policies against England.
- 1844: The Massachusetts Legislature threatened secession when Congress started debating whether to admit Texas into the Union.
1844: The Massachusetts Legislature threatened secession when Congress started debating whether to admit Texas into the Union.
Imagine a US WITHOUT Taxachooseits and Pres Kennedy AND Senators Robert and Tubby (er, Teddy)!!!!
posted on 06/21/2002 7:23:23 AM PDT
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson