Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Dawn Of The Feminist Police State
ToogoodReports.com ^ | September 5, 2001 | Henry Makow Ph.D.

Posted on 09/05/2001 7:36:04 AM PDT by Stand Watch Listen

In the opening scenes of The Philadelphia Story (1940) Cary Grant is leaving his wife played by Katherine Hepburn. She breaks his favorite golf club over her knee. He reacts by throwing her to the ground. The 1940's audience thought nothing of it. But today, Katherine Hepburn, or a neighbor, could call the police and have Cary Grant arrested for "domestic assault." Today no man can annoy a woman, let alone leave her, for fear of charges (real or false) that may result in jail, legal bills, and the loss of family, property and even job.

These onerous penalties are the result of the "zero tolerance policy" that many cities have adopted due to pressure from feminist activists. The policy states that any physical contact, even a tug on a sleeve, is "domestic assault." The charge is made by the state, not by the victim. Ostensibly this policy is designed to protect women from violent abuse but in fact, women are arrested too. The real effect and purpose is to politicize domestic relationships and to persecute normal heterosexual activity.

In Winnipeg, Canada, where I live, approximately half the 1200 man police force is permanently engaged in answering domestic calls. "To me that statistic is staggering," police Chief Jack Ewatski, told the Winnipeg Free Press (July 20). "It puts a significant stress on our ability to police the city in other areas." In this city of 600,000, almost half the inmates at the local "Remand Center" are there for so called "domestics."

On Monday mornings I interview people at the Courthouse for my web site zerotolerancesucks.com. Based on about 35 random interviews, I have found that the fights are usually trivial. The people charged are usually poor and alcohol is often a major factor. Many called the police for help to defuse the situation and were shocked to be arrested, finger printed and jailed. Many missed work and lost their jobs.

One couple was drinking on St. Patrick's Day, argued and pushed each other. The male left but the female phoned police about his driving under the influence. The police arrested her for pushing him. They said she "didn't know what she was doing when she gave her statement." Later, at another address, the male was awoken by a loud knock in the middle of the night. He was arrested for a crime he didn't even know he had committed and taken to the police station.

"Sometimes I deserve a smack," the male told me. "She gave me one. I pushed her out of the way and left. We're fine. We're a normal couple. We had one rough night. No one was hurt. No one charged anyone."

Another man heard the knock at 2 a.m. He had broken up with his girlfriend earlier that night. She charged him with holding her arms to prevent her from hitting him. He has hefty legal bills and risks losing his job because of a criminal record.

Another man told me: "It's supposed to be a free country but it don't seem free any more."

Other signs of the creeping police state: Often neighbors report couples who are only arguing. "The walls are thin," many people said. A couple was arrested even though they had witnesses to vouch that they were not fighting. Sometimes the couple doesn't know who informed on them. This is reminiscent of Communist countries where every block has a "captain" to ensure politically correct behavior.

Usually, the woman tries to have the charges dropped. She misses her mate and needs his help with the children. But the State usually insists on prosecuting.

The bias seems to be against men. Often police will refuse to accept a charge made by a man. One man who complained his wife bit his finger was told: "What was your finger doing in her mouth?" Another man was told to "take it like man." Another, who had a big scratch across his chest was told "it wouldn't look good" if he made a charge. A defense lawyer told me: "The women call the shots."

Often women will make false charges to hurt a male or to keep him away from his children. "Women are making false charges like crazy to get at men," a legal aid lawyer said. Many men report being charged after they ended the relationship. One man was prevented from going to the family business, and subsequently lost it. His wife decided that it was time to report a scuffle that had occurred three months earlier.

Generally, the policy undermines male leadership. One man reports that his wife got upset when he criticized her for being lazy. Her neighbors said, "Teach him a lesson." So she called the police and charged him with slapping her. He was arrested. "Now we want to be together but we can't," he says. "She is very upset and sorry."

But the police are capricious and will often charge women. One mother of four on social assistance slapped her common-law husband when he said he cared nothing about the children. He pushed her against a wall and she called police. They arrested only her. "That's what I get for being honest," she said. "I don't know why I'm being persecuted." Another woman was arrested after her boyfriend complained she wouldn't return his stuff. They found out she had tapped him with a shower curtain rod and charged her.

Another woman was not impressed with the protection even this Draconian policy provides. "My ex boyfriend was calling me from jail. He was out in two days and bothering me. What's the point of calling the police? It's not worth the trouble."

One thing is sure: In the crush of trivial cases, women or men in genuine danger will be overlooked. In the past, police had the discretion to act only in serious cases. Now, they have no choice. As for feminist activists, they don't care about saving women (who are sleeping with 'the enemy') but rather about exploiting them for political purposes. They are making male-female love a perilous enterprise.

The zero tolerance policy runs counter to fundamental principles of justice. A crime (i.e. injury) must take place before someone is arrested and jailed. There should be a presumption of innocence. Trivial acts like slaps should not be treated as crimes. There should be evidence not just one person's word.

How did we get into this mess? Feminists created hysteria and stampeded politicians into making this policy. The politicians don't appreciate that feminism is dedicated to creating a gender-less society by destroying the institutions of heterosexuality, including marriage and the nuclear family. Heterosexuals should wake up to the fact that we have been under sustained attack for about 40 years. It is no coincidence that the roles of wife and mother have become stigmatized. It is no accident that in the modern era, men have been consistently demonized as either weak and ineffective (Death of a Salesman) or as brutal immoral rapists (A Streetcar Named Desire.) The Marxist and homosexual authors of these plays represent feminism's real puppet masters: a weird alliance of misfits and underachievers who don't like or can't play the game of civilization.

Feminism is a front for peddling the worst kind of man-hating hysteria and claptrap. Feminism killed the Roman Empire because women stopped having children. There was no one left to fight the barbarians. Feminism will kill us in the same way. (See: Amaury de Reincourt, Sex and Power in History) Children are the future. If we don't invest in them, our values and presence are lost. Since the recent onslaught of feminism in 1960, our birthrate has dropped from 3.9 children per woman to 1.5. That's a 60% decline in two generations. Replacement is 2.2.

The birthrate is a symptom for something far more profound. The failure of men and women to form permanent relationships has demoralized society. Heterosexuals are stalled, acting like teenagers far into their middle age. If we could measure the toll of personal suffering, we would see an emotional and spiritual holocaust. Perhaps a better metaphor is famine because we are love starved and stunted. What is not fed, does not grow.

Feminist activists have poisoned male-female relations. They use domestic violence, as well as rape and sexual abuse, to traumatize young women and turn them against men. Feminists want women to deny their natural instincts and take on the male sex role instead. Both sexes are losing their identities and this is creating massive sexual dysfunction.

Domestic violence was never a problem before feminism made it one. It isn't a problem today. For example, in Canada according to the 1999 General Social Survey, only 7% of people married or common law experienced "some type of violence" within the previous five years. These are almost evenly divided between men and women. The rate of spousal homicide for wives is 7 per million. In the U.S., the murder rate for wives/girlfriends is between 1 and 4 /1000th of one percent depending on race.

I am not going to show how feminists fabricate statistics to create hysteria. Christina Hoff Sommers (Who Stole Feminism?), Rene Denfeld (The New Victorians), and Warren Farrell (Why Men Are the Way They Are) have already done that.

As for domestic violence, where do frigid Marxists and lesbians get off telling us how to love? When Clark Gable "slapped" a woman in A Free Soul (1931) he got thousands of fan letters from women and it launched his career. In Ruby Gentry (1954) Jennifer Jones slapped Charlton Heston so hard that she broke her hand. What two people do in a moment of passion is no one else's business.

For the majority of heterosexuals, a successful family is a requirement for happiness and fulfillment. It is necessary for the future of life on this planet. As heterosexuals, we are victims of an insidious campaign of social engineering, which amounts to sexual persecution. Our children and we are taught that our natural instincts as males and females are pathological. It's time we said: "enough."

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS: henrymakow; napalminthemorning; skinheadsonfr
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-22 next last

1 posted on 12/31/1969 4:00:00 PM PST by Stand Watch Listen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Stand Watch Listen
The flip side of this is that police stand by and do nothing when gangs of young men attack young women as we saw last year in the incident in Central Park.
2 posted on 12/31/1969 4:00:00 PM PST by independentmind
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

The most romantic scene I have ever seen in a movie was in "The Quiet Man" when John Wayne broke down the door to the cottage, grabbed Maureen O'Hara, kissed her soundly and then proceeded to throw her down on the bed, breaking it, before walking out on her. Today that would net him jail time.
3 posted on 12/31/1969 4:00:00 PM PST by riley1992

I have a friend who works on a military fort who was prosecuted by civil service because a woman accused him of touching her breast with the phone cord when she handed him the phone. This was actually a payback because he had blown the whistle on corruption. Nevertheless, this case went on and on until the file (I saw it myself since I went to the court hearing) was over five inches thick. He still has his job but the judge did not rule in his favor. He had to attend sensitivity training and was suspended for a couple months. This is how our tax dollars are spent by the federal government.
4 posted on 12/31/1969 4:00:00 PM PST by Cowgirl

There should obviously be limits on the histerics of feminazis, but throwing a woman to the ground is plenty reason to file charges for assault. Men should not throw their wives around, nor should they hit them or anything else.
5 posted on 12/31/1969 4:00:00 PM PST by What about Bob?

To: What about Bob?
Where did you read a woman was thrown to the ground?
6 posted on 12/31/1969 4:00:00 PM PST by riley1992
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Fianally, someone refers to "Amaury de Riencourt's "Sex and Power in History". A must read for those who want to confirm historically that feminists are mentally deranged and should be locked up in the hoosegaw. Riencourt's writings are brilliant.
7 posted on 12/31/1969 4:00:00 PM PST by TransOxus

How did we get into this mess?

As with most liberal social agendas, we got here in incremental steps by appealing to the heart instead of the mind and reason.

We repeatedly listened to stories of innocent women ‘beaten’ and ‘subjugated’ by violent, brutal men and we wanted to help end the violence.

Only the tentacles spread. Everyone was resonsible for the violence in socity. Soon a woman called a names was considered equivalent to a women who was beaten. A women grabbed by the arm in an argument was equated with a women lying bloody in her own home. The result is payback for all the women who have ever been hurt, physically or emotionally, by any man regardless of the circumstances.

There are a thousand degrees of violence and assault. Yet today, merely touching for uttering a word is equal to causing physical harm.

Until we can rationally separate true violence from petty accusations, little will change.

8 posted on 12/31/1969 4:00:00 PM PST by SocialMeltdown

How much longer before they charge men with "sexual thought crime"?
9 posted on 09/05/2001 8:15:58 AM PDT by Brute_Force

Since you bring politics into a discussion of how assault should be handled, you may as well bring religion into it too.

Mohammmed said it's okay to beat your wives... On the other hand, Jesus said turn the other cheek and let yourself be slapped silly.

Mix either or both of these concepts with the Femi-Nazi politics idea, watch some more Hollywood entertainment, and then -- get back to basics. Assault/battery is a crime that should be punished, whatever your gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

10 posted on 09/05/2001 8:18:25 AM PDT by LurkedLongEnough

To: Brute_Force

It's already happened.

11 posted on 09/05/2001 8:22:14 AM PDT by Cooter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

A real shooting war would bring this crap to a screeching halt; as these "feminists" head for the hills.

I'm also thinking it can't be too much longer before the nation begins hearing stories of women who're aggresively attacking men & consequently, getting their brains severly beat-in; in what'll in all liklihood be supurb examples of self defense on behalf of the victim-males?

There'll be an additional challenge keeping one's blood pressure in-check as the Lamestream media spins these potential incidents into the favor of the fairer-sex too, I might add.

I only suggest that possibility given the fact this culture is fast at work creating the Super Woman psyche being planted deep into the nation's young women via Hollyweird's creations & reinforced in day to day PC teachings.

The gals who'll proceed into life under this Pop Culture, PC contrived illusion, whatever the number constituting 'em turns out to be?
Are on a collision-course with the dual hammers of reality & nature.

Should be an *interesting* next decade; mighty interesting indeed.

12 posted on 09/05/2001 8:44:18 AM PDT by Landru

To: Brute_Force

whoa... that’d put jimmy carter right up at the front of the line...

13 posted on 09/05/2001 9:05:24 AM PDT by glock rocks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: All
The malevolent harpies of feminism are the incarnation of the spirit of Jezebel, whose murderous hatred of true men and their God is legendary. I pray that the spirit of Elijah will come and restore American manhood and God's natural order of the sexes.
14 posted on 09/05/2001 9:12:50 AM PDT by Zorobabel
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: SocialMeltdown
Yet today, merely touching for uttering a word is equal to causing physical harm.

Our betters intend to make criminals out of ALL of us. The principle has been pretty well established now that felons lose all civil rights, even long after they have paid for their crimes. Once our betters have succeeded in making enough laws that we can't possibly live through one day without breaking at least one, then they have us where they want us. Put yourself in the following picture;

The date is March 22, 2045. A year ago you were arrested as you arrived at work. You were charged with domestic violence, spousal abuse, and aggravated sexual assault. You had been one of those chauvinistic dinosaurs who still held the outmoded, religion-derived notion that marriage was intended only for male-female couples, so a few years back you had foolishly married the woman you loved. The morning you were arrested you had become careless and given your wife a playful slap on the fanny after you kissed her goodbye on the front steps, all in full view of the ubiquitous neighborhood surveilance cameras. An alert lesbian neighbor was also civic-minded enough to spot that criminal act and report you to the NOW-staffed police department. She also graciously offered to testify at your trial.

You were convicted of course, those 6 NOW-appointed jurors knew that videotape and lesbians don't lie. Because the prisons were all at 300% over capacity with other domestic violence offenders, the NOW-appointed lesbian judge magnanimously let you off on probation and 1000 hours of community service picking up used condoms in the local gay-hangout park. Considering the seriousness of your crime you got off easy, but you are now a felon and you have virtually no rights for the remainder of your miserable life. You can't change jobs, move to another area of town, or even have a non-alcoholic beer without permision from your NOW-appointed bi-sexual caseworker. You aren't allowed to own real property, visit your children, or attempt a reconcilliation with your former wife, who btw has been moved by the state into the lesbian neighbor's apartment. That's so your kids can live in a 2-parent family that will teach them things like non-violent problem resolution, how to recognize male spousal abuse, and tolerance for alternate lifestyles. For instance, the lifestyle now exampled by your former wife and the lesbian neighbor.

You hate the tyannical, NOW-dominated federal government that was formed after the Democrats and Republicans finally merged into one big gooey mass of moderation and tolerance, but since felons can't vote, associate with other felons, or own guns, (actually, no one can own guns, but that's another story) whadda you gonna do about it you sexist, woman-hating, heterosexual, wife abusing, Neanderthal, CRIMINAL PIG?

Hey, we all know that scenario is so over the top it couldn't ever happen in real life could it? Well, 40 years ago I thought a lot of things we now see every day right here in the good ole US of A couldn't happen aywhere this side of hell.

15 posted on 09/05/2001 11:24:39 AM PDT by epow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: epow
Yes, it can easily happen to you too. Everyone has a breaking point, where common sense fails and anger and frustration temporarily wins.

I have been with my wife for 8 years. While most of the time we both believe that we are truly lucky to have each other, occasionally we have our differences. She was laid off from work 6 months ago, and had not looked for work. This had led to us having other problems stemming from this, and the results had been more arguments, lack of communication, resentment, etc...

She is very bad at fighting. She cannot argue constructively. She has a very bad temper and will do things that are deliberately destructive and hurtful to our relationship. Thankfully this happens rarely. However 3 weeks ago we were trying to discuss our difficulties. I told her how i felt about her not working, and other things. Her response was bad, and it started us to arguing. Over the course of a couple of hours we went from supposedly going to a movie to having a big fight. I finally went outside to cool off. When I was ready to come back in, she had locked me out. I got the spare key and opened the door. She stepped out and slugged me in the jaw. I saw red, and felt pure unadulterated anger. Trying to hold back and respond at the same time, I grabbed a handfull of hair and shoved her away from me. Unfortunately where we were at the time meant that she was shoved into the brick chimney. She hit her head, at which point all thought of our argument disappeared for me as I wanted to make sure she was ok. She started hollering and yelling that i was trying to kill her (not in a million years)and she wanted 911. I wasn't going to prevent her, but instead stood by while she called. Being that she isn't one that believes in 2nd amendment freedoms and the protection a firearm brings, she used this opportunity to throw in "and he has guns". (One of the earliest parts of our argument was her saying that unless that my family agreed to not have any guns at our planned Thanksgiving get-together at our ranch (where we were planning to deer hunt, as she well knew) she wasn't going to allow her kids to attend. I had thought we had agreed to disagree on guns, but she decided this was a chance for her to hurt me in another way)

So she leaves in the car, but only drives next door to wait. I hear the cops coming, and since I can see them thinking I'm some crazed guy with an arsenal I step out onto the front step to wait for them. They talk to her next door, where she admits she hit me, and I just pushed her. She again said something (the cops said, she says she didn't)about guns. The ambulance looks her over, and she later told me she tried to leave but they forced her to go to the hospital. The cops come over and talk to me, and I calmly relate what happened. I explained that my having a pistol was irrelevant, as the gun was not present in the fight, wasnt mentioned or used as a threat in any way. They said they still had to confiscate it, so I showed them where it was. They said I had to go to jail because of the complaint, but they let me dress appropriately and treated me respectfully. They also suggested that I bring enough cash to make bail, which I appreciated being that i'm not familiar with the justice system.

So I spend the night in jail, thinking that tomorrow I get out and she and I can use this as a cathartic moment to mark an end and to move forward. But no. I'm barred from my home. I'm let out of jail 20 miles away with no way to get anywhere. I cannot go get my car, my clothes, anything. I talk the local police into calling my wife and she agrees to bring some stuff to the police station. Luckily the police finally agreed to be that intermediary as what was I supposed to do without clothes to go to work? I am to be barred from my home or any contact with my wife for 2 months, until my court date. Luckily I am a person of some means so I am able to rent a car, afford a hotel, and buy some necessities. Of course my wife got the judge to remove the restrictions against us being together, but he would only grant those, not returning my firearm or some other violations of my rights as an accused, not convicted, person. We have worked out most of our differences. She is sorry for how she acted, and things are getting much better. Now the only obstacle left in our path is the government. She and I will have to try to convince the judge to dismiss the charge against me. However since part of a punishment for a crime is a payment to the state, i have my doubts about getting a dismissal. All of these things I am enduring because I pushed her away after punching me. The most ironic thing is that but for the government agencies, we would have worked things out after a day or so.

Oh, and one other thing. At the hospital, all the women social workers told me that she should leave me, that if she let me back she would end up dead. They made it sound like a certainty.

16 posted on 09/05/2001 12:06:12 PM PDT by jdub
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

I knew a security officer co-worker for a state university that was fired because a few women that worked in the facility he was responsible for monitoring didn't like the way he was always "looking around". Of course that that's the the job of a security officer to look around and keep an eye on the comings and goings of people visiting and even working on a college campus didn't occur to their rat maze brains. They got rid of him under the blanket Nazi isanity policies of sexual harrassment, even though absolutely NO sexuality was involved whatsoever. But, since they were female and he was male, they claimed his "looking" represented an "uncomfortable" working environment. This guy was married with children and lost this job just before Christmas and the utter shock and disbelief of this nightmare of insanity left him visibly shaken. By the way, as I found out, this wasn't the first or only time this sickening nonsense was used to remove an unwanted MALE employee. This incident brought home for me the sickening and abhorrent nature of biased, unjust, and deliberate left-wing liberal hatred and gave birth in me to a rage, I never felt before for these immoral, filthy sons of bitches. The lasting effect of these kinds of things is massive. The once cordial and trusting relationship between men and women in the workplace is gone forever, replaced by isolation and distrust if not emnity. This is the price of the feminazization of contemporary American society.
17 posted on 09/05/2001 12:26:36 PM PDT by rebelsoldier

To: epow
Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut, JR.

Vonnegut predicted the feminist state back in 1961.

18 posted on 09/05/2001 12:45:25 PM PDT by SocialMeltdown
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Der State of Ohio just passed some new domestic violence laws. Now, an arrest is almost mandatory. All the female has to do is say she is in fear of the male. She doesnt even have to sign charges anymore, the officers are supposed to come up with who the 'aggressor' is and make an arrest, regardless of what the people involved want.

In our muni court we've got a few "domestic violence advocates" who go over our police reports and if there is something in the report they dont like they complain to the sympathetic chief who has the captain call us on the carpet.

I still do what I feel is best, the state can go take a leap. But they are taking the control out of the hands of the officers and making arrest mandatory. scary.

Once some guy called the police station and said he wanted to tell us that he was going to go play basketball with his buddies. He said that his wife didnt want him to go and if he wasnt back at 6 she was going to call the police and have him charged with DV.

Sure enough, 6 oclock rolls around and the woman called the po-po to report her husband had beat her up and that he could be found playing basketball at such and such location. The guys went to her house, let her sign and then locked her up for making a false police report.

19 posted on 09/05/2001 1:04:02 PM PDT by Cap'n Crunch

To: Cap'n Crunch
Once some guy called the police station and said he wanted to tell us that he was going to go play basketball with his buddies. He said that his wife didnt want him to go and if he wasnt back at 6 she was going to call the police and have him charged with DV.

Sure enough, 6 oclock rolls around and the woman called the po-po to report her husband had beat her up and that he could be found playing basketball at such and such location. The guys went to her house, let her sign and then locked her up for making a false police report.

LOL

Smart guy!!!

20 posted on 09/05/2001 1:49:11 PM PDT by AFreeBird
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-22 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson