News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Chapel Hill (NC) makes restaurant remove banner
The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC) ^ | September 18, 2001 | Associated Press

Posted on 09/18/2001 7:28:02 AM PDT by Constitution Day

Published: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 8:56 a.m. EDT

Chapel Hill makes restaurant remove banner

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -- Zoning inspectors made a restaurant owner remove a banner proclaiming "God Bless America, Woe to Our Enemies" after at least three town council members complained.

The action against Top of the Hill restaurant was based on a provision of Chapel Hill's sign ordinance that allows downtown business to post temporary placards only if they measure 6 square feet or less.

The restaurant banner exceeded the size limit, said Town Manager Cal Horton and Inspections Director Lance Norris. The decision was made Friday.

Horton added that administrators weren't trying to suppress the banner's message.

"We don't care what the message is," Horton said. "What we were regulating was the size."

Town council members who complained said they objected to the message.

"Personally, I found the language offensive," said council member Bill Strom. "I didn't find the 'God Bless America' offensive and appreciate everyone's show of unity. But the implied tone of 'woe to our enemies' is not the message I have been giving my child."

Council member Jim Ward said he preferred a response by the country to last week's attacks that included "mature restraint."

Council member Kevin Foy said he worried the sign could send the wrong message to Arab-Americans. His brother-in-law is an Arab-American and is "very frightened by the current national mood."

Restaurant owner Scott Maitland, an Army combat engineer during the Gulf War in 1991,
said the town's policy of enforcing the sign ordinance on complaints invites abuse.

As soon as he put the sign up, Maitland said, about 14 people objected to the "Woe to Our Enemies" line and two didn't like the phrase "God bless America." About 150 called to praise the banner.

He also said the banner clearly violated the sign ordinance, but grocery stores violate the law daily. "Apparently no one is concerned that you can buy pork chops for $2.99 a pound," he said.

He said he is concerned about violent reaction aimed at Arab-Americans and agreed that the nation's leaders should think carefully about a military response.

"I hate to break the news to some people that sometimes evil requires violence (in response)," Maitland said.

© Copyright 2000, The News & Observer. All material found on newsobserver.com is copyrighted The News & Observer and associated news services. No material may be reproduced or reused without explicit permission from The News & Observer.

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 181-184 next last
More unsurprising idiocy from "Chapel Hell", the Berkeley of North Carolina, and home of the University of North Carolina campus.
The tone of these panty-waisted council members' comments suggest their primary concern is not hurting anyone's precious little feelings.
They don't care about supporting our country in its time of crisis.

This is yet another reason I'm glad I went to NC State, not the University of North Carolina.

FReep these creeps!

Chapel Hill town website

Chapel Hill Mayor & Council Members (Sorry, no e-mail addresses listed)

E-mail Chapel Hill Mayor Rosemary Waldorf

E-mail Town Manager Cal Horton

E-mail Inspections Director Lance Norris

Top of the Hill Restaurant & Brewery

E-mail restaurant owner Scott Maitland with your support!!!

FReepers... FIRE AWAY!!

1 posted on 09/18/2001 7:28:02 AM PDT by Constitution Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Constitution Day
"mature restraint."

Isn't that what the Clinton administration practiced while giving "deadlines" that were never followed through?

2 posted on 09/18/2001 7:32:36 AM PDT by Slyfox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Slyfox
YES. Maybe he was too busy "following through" at the sink.
3 posted on 09/18/2001 7:38:05 AM PDT by Constitution Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

D@mn yankees! I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that the Nazi councilmen were carpetbaggars.
4 posted on 09/18/2001 7:38:40 AM PDT by VoodooEconomist

To: LoanPalm
Sorry, friend. More bad news from your alma mater. Too bad you're not around to straighten 'em out!
5 posted on 09/18/2001 7:40:48 AM PDT by Constitution Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

I'd do two things; put the message on an electronic sign board in the front window, and have the placemats imprinted with the message.
6 posted on 09/18/2001 7:42:04 AM PDT by steveegg

"Personally, I found the language offensive," said council member Bill Strom. "I didn't find the 'God Bless America' offensive and appreciate everyone's show of unity. But the implied tone of 'woe to our enemies' is not the message I have been giving my child."

Now, listen up you carpetbagging yankee. Nobody gives a rat's @ss about what you are or are not teaching your child. This is private property you're messing with here. How dare you impose your preferences on others. There is a name for preventing someone from controlling what is and is not allowed on property that he owns - COMMUNISM.

7 posted on 09/18/2001 7:42:21 AM PDT by VoodooEconomist

Bump it
8 posted on 09/18/2001 7:43:09 AM PDT by apackof2

"I hate to break the news to some people that sometimes evil requires violence (in response)," Maitland said

Is he talking about the Taliban? Or the Nazi council members?

9 posted on 09/18/2001 7:43:50 AM PDT by VoodooEconomist

Gives a whole new menaing to the term "WAG THE DOG".
10 posted on 09/18/2001 7:45:03 AM PDT by Slyfox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: VoodooEconomist
Chapel Hell is chock full of carpet baggers...
just like Cary, NC, which is not far away.

Many locals say that CARY stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

11 posted on 09/18/2001 7:45:18 AM PDT by Constitution Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Well, fools and miscreants like this will do this sort of thing as long as you let them. These two idiots should have to face a crowd of patriots throwing eggs and tomatoes everytime they step outside.
12 posted on 09/18/2001 7:46:23 AM PDT by hopespringseternal

One of the many reasons I decided not to go to UNC 2 years ago--the city is too liberal for my taste
13 posted on 09/18/2001 7:46:31 AM PDT by rb22982

FIRING!
14 posted on 09/18/2001 7:46:42 AM PDT by abnegation

Comment #15 Removed by Moderator

To: VoodooEconomist
Cool out, Johnny Reb. I haven't heard of ANY thing like this going on up north, only down in Dixie.

Maybe you mean, "Damn Southerners?"

16 posted on 09/18/2001 7:48:05 AM PDT by Slim Pickens
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

LOCK AND LOAD
17 posted on 09/18/2001 7:48:25 AM PDT by RedBloodedAmerican

Personally, I found the language offensive," said council member Bill Strom. "I didn't find the 'God Bless America' offensive and appreciate everyone's show of unity. But the implied tone of 'woe to our enemies' is not the message I have been giving my child."

I wonder what message he is giving his child? He doesn't say how old the kid is but I have a feeling this child may have a problem dealing with bullies in the future.

18 posted on 09/18/2001 7:49:23 AM PDT by Mopp4

Go for the Mayor I did,

What kind of town you running down there? Your actions make me sick.
Does it hurt to be anti-American or is it painless?
Let Scott Maitland, an Army combat engineer during the Gulf War in 1991 post his sign
and get yourself an American history book. How many more people need to die before you and your town council members figure it out?

19 posted on 09/18/2001 7:52:59 AM PDT by Mr.E

To: amundsen
He'd have to put up a fence around all of Orange County (where Chapel Hill is located) now.
Recently the Orange County Board of Commissioners voted to ban circuses, rodeos & any kind of animal performance.

Too cruel to the animals, don'tcha know.

20 posted on 09/18/2001 7:53:06 AM PDT by Constitution Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 181-184 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson