Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Why what Bill Maher claimed he said was wrong.
Lazamataz

Posted on 09/25/2001 3:12:22 AM PDT by Lazamataz

Background: Bill Maher stated that what the terrorists did was courageous and that what the United States does is cowardly: "We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away," he said. "That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly."

The next day, under severe fire for his comments, he began furiously backpeddling, claiming: "My criticism was meant for politicians who, fearing public reaction, have not allowed our military to do the job they are obviously ready, willing and able to do and who now will, I'm certain, as they always have, get it done."

His justification is complete nonsense. He compounds his obnoxious statements with a lie.

He implied -- rather clearly -- that it was the OPERATIVES of the missions he was speaking of. Either he would be comparing the operatives, or the leaders, e.g.,

His claim that he was comparing Bill Clinton vs. the terrorists is comparing apples vs. road apples. It was clearly a backpeddle, and has rightly been seen as one. That is why Maher is losing advertisers. Most people sense the disparity and are repulsed, without understanding why, but I have detailed the reason.

Either you are comparing the operatives of the respective missions, or you are comparing the leaders of said missions.

It should thusly be clear he was referring to our United States Armed Forces when he called the US response 'cowardly'.

TOPICS: Editorial; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-97 next last

1 posted on 09/25/2001 3:12:22 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Lazamataz
BTTT
2 posted on 09/25/2001 3:17:01 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

He knows what he said. Look at how he's been whining since then. He doesn't have the ba**s to admit it or apologize for it. His "apology" was obnoxious, blaming people for misunderstanding him. He is such a moron.
3 posted on 09/25/2001 3:19:29 AM PDT by Benrand

Is he still on the air?
4 posted on 09/25/2001 3:20:12 AM PDT by mystery-ak
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Maher's smart comments gave the audience a clearer view than usual of his disloyal bias...losing his fatcat job over it would be an unusual case of justice.

Only a truly unamerican pig would pick a time like this to side with an enemy that butchered over 6,000 innocent people.

But I suppose, those weren't HIS kind of Americans...

5 posted on 09/25/2001 3:21:08 AM PDT by USMCVet

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

To: Benrand
Howard Stern said that Maher was too vain to issue a REAL apology.
7 posted on 09/25/2001 3:21:25 AM PDT by PJ-Comix
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Comment #8 Removed by Moderator

To: Hannibal Heyes
BTW, I'm sure Maher is thankful for all the censorship fanatics on FR,

You need rest.

No one is calling for a government crackdown on Maher, which is the definition of censorship. We are, however, happy that in America people can control their own property. Yes, even in wartime, broadcasters can decide how their station is used, and advertisers can decide how their dollars advertise their products.

Unless, of course, you want government-mandated support of Messr. Maher.

9 posted on 09/25/2001 3:29:22 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

SO DON'T WATCH HIM

You clearly have a sleep deficit.

10 posted on 09/25/2001 3:29:54 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Benrand
His "apology" was obnoxious, blaming people for misunderstanding him

I was waiting for him to try to redefine the word 'is'.

11 posted on 09/25/2001 3:30:45 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Rightonline
Yo, bud. Over here. :o)
12 posted on 09/25/2001 3:38:28 AM PDT by Lazamataz

No one is calling for a government crackdown on Maher, which is the definition of censorship. We are, however, happy that in America people can control their own property. Yes, even in wartime, broadcasters can decide how their station is used, and advertisers can decide how their dollars advertise their products.

Well said.

13 posted on 09/25/2001 3:45:31 AM PDT by NYS_Eric
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: hossdaddy,Lazamataz
Hd, you were asking me about a good thread on Maher. This one looks like it will warm up. I don't want to jinx it, but Lazamataz will take on all comers.
14 posted on 09/25/2001 4:02:09 AM PDT by leadpenny (Introducing a new guy to FR)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: leadpenny
I don't want to jinx it, but Lazamataz will take on all comers.

Why I oughtta... ;o)

15 posted on 09/25/2001 4:05:10 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: NYS_Eric
Well said.

Thangoo. :o)

16 posted on 09/25/2001 4:16:03 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Lighten up, Francis. Since he lost advertisers (translation: money), he had to apologize. If decent enough people keep up the pressure, maybe we can get this idiot off the air completely.

Incidentally, I like commentary like this. If you don't think getting a smarmy little terrorist praising pr*#k like Bill off the air isn't important, maybe you should pick another thread to comment on.
17 posted on 09/25/2001 4:23:57 AM PDT by wasp69 (locked&loaded.now)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Thanks for the post, I haven't been on the net in a week and I missed the low-down on this. Couldn't find much info even doing a search on FR. If people weren't convinced Maher is a traitor to his nation before, he has pretty much spelled it out for them at this point. So many innocent lives lost in New York and across the nation. How could anyone make such a statement about this atrocity?
18 posted on 09/25/2001 4:25:15 AM PDT by Caipirabob

To: wasp69
Lighten up, Francis.

If you respond to this thread, .... he'll kill ya.
If you call him Francis, .... he'll kill ya.
If you try to get Maher off the air, .... he'll kill ya.

19 posted on 09/25/2001 4:30:32 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Either you are comparing the operatives of the respective missions, or you are comparing the leaders of said missions.

Excellent analysis.

Update #2 -Politically Incorrect Advertisers Contact List

BeSilentAndBeHeard.com/

Mervyn's Pulls Ads From 'Politically Incorrect'

20 posted on 09/25/2001 4:34:47 AM PDT by quimby

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-97 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson