The Root Cause Crowd
Drudge Report ^ | 10.9.01 | Deb Weiss

Posted on 10/09/2001 7:57:22 AM PDT by Jean S

A VIEW FROM HERE
by deb weiss
every tuesday

The Root Cause Crowd
October 9, 2001

Such is the pace of contemporary life that the idiot left dashed from the war to the anti-war before the war had actually started, sprinting on to sober post-mortems at just about the time the bombs began to fall.

EMAIL: DEB WEISS
You'd think even they might have waited a beat or two. It's one thing to sing, "We Ain't A-Gonna Study War No More" -- quite another to take to the streets without ever having studied at all. At the very least, they could have pulled an all-nighter.

Not that it matters. In the weeks since the attack, theirs has been a grumbling sort of rear-guard action, largely unnoticed and exquisitely irrelevant. Like the terrorist leaders themselves, they are mostly children of the elite, posh, privileged, and educated: and they simply fail to understand America.

What's more, they, like the terrorists, find America an irresistible target, a Great Satan by any dialectic. With a curious lack of imagination or sympathy or simple humanity, they have blurred and muted their memory of the attack itself -- alleged imperialism upsets them considerably more than real mass murder. Even anthrax scares only elicit sharp critiques of the pharmaceutical industry and the American military establishment.

"Why Does The World Hate America?" they fret, sermonizing about the 'root causes' which, they solemnly assure us, created the conditions for terror and mass death, and which deep down are certainly almost entirely our fault.

When I hear this kind of talk, I can't help thinking of New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

In the sunset of his reign, the mayor has been rehabilitated -- sort of -- by the Democratic press, although even the most effusive praise has been larded with sniping about his embarrassing reluctance to relinquish his Moment.

This temporary journalistic pax represented, in part, a genuine if grudging homage to Mayor Giuliani's magnificence in the aftermath of the attack.

Equally, though, the cheers for Rudy were a transparent George-tease, an exercise in journalistic cattiness. In the early days, before our politicized press had altogether comprehended just how serious real war can be, and how radically the mood of the nation had been transformed, it was the fashion in select journalistic circles to trash the president by giving the mayor rave reviews.

"For the America that is gone, the America that could have it all and feel no pain beyond that on cable TV, George W. Bush was the perfect president," wrote The New York Times's bilious Frank Rich, shortly after the attack. But, Mr. Rich added sourly, "...Since Tuesday, there has been a towering leader in view -- Rudolph Giuliani."

There were endless variations on this fundamentally bitchy theme.

Ah well. That's another story: one that seems very sad and silly and distant, by now.

Besides, I'm not thinking of the mayor's extraordinary conduct amidst the horrors of war.

Instead, I'm thinking of the mayor in a different incarnation -- no less important, in its way -- when early in his administration he said, in effect, To hell with root causes, and without apology proceeded to drive the con-men and graffiti artists and muggers and hustlers off the streets, restoring his city to a prosperous serenity unheard of since the 1960s.

Perhaps you remember the 1960s. Root Causes were all the rage back then, as the great Victim Cult -- the left's singular, persistent contribution to American culture -- asserted itself and dug in for the duration.

In those days, the enlightened among us decreed that violent little thugs (unless they happened to be violent little white Southern thugs) were victims of Historical Inequities. Whatever they did, however vicious their behavior, it was not their fault, but, somehow, ours. The appropriate response to their malevolence was not punishment, we were instructed, but Understanding.

Two decades of Understanding later, though, urban blight had become a way of life. Despite the expenditure of the unimaginably vast sums that Understanding tends to suck out of our pockets, those pesky Root Causes had proven resistant to reform. New York was crippled by a soaring crime rate, a deteriorating economy, garbage-strewn streets, and a seemingly-permanent underclass whose guiding ethos combined suicidal self-pity with a lethal amorality.

It all appeared quite hopeless

Then along came Rudy, vain, bull-headed, pugnacious -- and blissfully indifferent to the Root Cause crowd. At once, he went to work, determined to reclaim his beloved city. And (despite dire predictions from The New York Times, which didn't like him nearly as much back then) reclaim it he did.

In surprisingly short order, the squeegee brigades had been vanquished, Times Square was thriving, crime rates were falling, tourists were rediscovering the joys of the Big Apple, and liberal columnists were reduced to grousing that New York had become "too clean." (Thanks to term limits, incidentally, Mr. Giuliani's critics now face the prospect of a liberal Restoration. This has their nerves very much on edge.)

The point?

That the war in which we find ourselves engaged against our will -- a war the Bush administration is conducting, by all the evidence, with shrewd and even brilliant strategy -- is about the here and now. What happened a thousand years ago, or a hundred, or even ten, is irrelevant, except as a point of historical interest, political scorekeeping, and scholarly debate. Colonialism and the Cold War may have shifted the equation, and the terrorist attacks of the '80s and '90s may have intensified it, but for purposes of this conflict, September 11th was Day One.

It's not that there aren't such things as root causes. It's just that in the real world, when there's a job to be done, they don't much matter.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-25 next last

1 posted on 10/09/2001 7:57:23 AM PDT by Jean S
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JeanS
An odd argument for a conservative to make -- that history doesn't matter. But then I guess that doesn't apply to neo-conservatives, who believe we are at the "end" of history....
2 posted on 10/09/2001 8:05:09 AM PDT by Justin Raimondo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Nice catch.
3 posted on 10/09/2001 8:07:20 AM PDT by First_Salute

To: Justin Raimondo
At the moment when an armed robber breaks into your house and starts looting and pillaging your property, and pointing a gun at you, would you very much care that the robber was the illegitimate son of a teenaged, drug-addicted, unemployed welfare mother and an absent, incarcerated father, physically abused and raised 'on the streets'?

Maybe some people would feel compelled to ask the robber, "Why are you doing this? Why do you not respect my home, my life and my property? What did I do to you to make you this way? What did American society do or fail to do to make you this way?" Not me. Once they're in your house and threatening your life, the time for soul-searching is over.

4 posted on 10/09/2001 8:26:04 AM PDT by wimpycat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I think you posted to the wrong article -
Ms Weiss does not ignore history, only the arguement that it is inevitable due to real or imagined wrongs buried within it.
5 posted on 10/09/2001 8:29:36 AM PDT by norton

She's not saying history doesn't matter--just that it can't be allowed to paralyze action.
6 posted on 10/09/2001 8:35:19 AM PDT by duvausa

She actually offered up history to support her view that action is necessary.

"Then along came Rudy, vain, bull-headed, pugnacious -- and blissfully indifferent to the Root Cause crowd. At once, he went to work, determined to reclaim his beloved city. And (despite dire predictions from The New York Times, which didn't like him nearly as much back then) reclaim it he did.

In surprisingly short order, the squeegee brigades had been vanquished, Times Square was thriving, crime rates were falling, tourists were rediscovering the joys of the Big Apple, and liberal columnists were reduced to grousing that New York had become "too clean." "

7 posted on 10/09/2001 8:51:31 AM PDT by VRWC_minion

Irrelevant

Justin, she's talking about you.

8 posted on 10/09/2001 9:05:05 AM PDT by sinkspur

Ok, I suppose this IS all pretty subtle.

There is a distinction between history and a fiction called "root causes". For the practice of history, see the brief review of the 60's in the preceding article (the one you just read.) The function of history, ably demonstrated here, is to identify past folly and past virtue in the interest of responsible living in the present. The function of root-cause-ology is to excuse folly, or evil -- the opposite of the discipline of history.

The "end of history" happens when a killer pulls a box-cutter on a historian and the historian takes a moment to analyze causes.

9 posted on 10/09/2001 9:34:38 AM PDT by Taliesan

WARNING: Violent Graphics

Link to:

DIPLOMACY: KUMBAYA - Peace Vigil

:

10 posted on 10/09/2001 10:02:44 AM PDT by ppaul

C'mon, Justin. Put your intellect to some constructive use. It's not denying history to insist that proximate causes trump "root causes." It's the individualist mantra, for Pete's sake! We are all held individually accountable for our actions.

The logical culmination of "root causes" hunts can be seen in many places around the globe. In the Balkans, particularly the region once called Yugoslavia, grievances are passed from generation to generation like family heirlooms. "What you did to my great-grandfather, you did to me," the saying goes. Here in the United States, "root causes" rhetoric has given rise to predatory behavior that Americans of two generations ago would not believe possible, and to claims that white Americans who never owned slaves should pay slavery reparations to black Americans who never were slaves!

In the matter of the Middle East, everyone has a different "root cause," and all of them justify (by the propounder's lights) the extermination of some hated group. Well, if there's a group out there that hates Americans and wants to see us all dead, I think we should give them the chance to try their strength with us -- and that's exactly what they're getting now. But after the contest is over, I doubt there will be anyone to natter about "root causes" anymore.

Freedom, Wealth, and Peace,
Francis W. Porretto
Visit the Palace Of Reason: http://palaceofreason.com

11 posted on 10/09/2001 11:06:32 AM PDT by fporretto

Comment #12 Removed by Moderator

It's not that there aren't such things as root causes. It's just that in the real world, when there's a job to be done, they don't much matter.

Maybe so. But I've got $1,000 that says no leader in the USA will examine the root and do something to prevent this type of catastrophie from happening in the future. And I am not talking about Homeland SS as a 'solution'. In fact, I think this is exactly what USA leaders want! In the minds of Bush Sr., there is no problem. This is what they were expecting. Now they are simply moving on to the next phase of the plan. Bush Jr. is being used.

13 posted on 10/09/2001 12:55:23 PM PDT by spoosman

To: spoosman
Well, sort of...

There are root causes and then there are root causes... One of the root causes of OUR behavior is simply our own understanding that if you attack America, you must die... It is not inappropriate that this be a key element of our foreign policy, only because it is a root cause of our behavior that others can easily understand, which helps to avoid confusion which can lead to making mistakes.

I'll take your root cause and trump it with mine while shoving yours where the sun don't shine...

This makes the world a safer place for all of us.

14 posted on 10/09/2001 1:21:13 PM PDT by Sense
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

"An odd argument for a conservative to make -- that history doesn't matter. "

Not really. When staring down the barrel of a shotgun, you don't much care about the biography of the man who built the thing.

"Root Causes," when they exist, are fine and proper things to worry about, absent any imminent threat. Just not now.

15 posted on 10/09/2001 3:04:55 PM PDT by Mr. Bungle

To: All
I see I have stirred up a hornet's nest. Speaking of hornets.....

When you stick your hand inside a hornet's nest, you are likely to get stung. That is a "root cause" anybody should be able to understand. But to point to this truism, these days, is to be accused of high treason, and worse, collaboration with terrorism. By pointing out that the bigger, and more sustained our intervention in the Middle East, the more we create a generation of Osamas, anti-interventionists (of the Right such as Robert Novak, Pat Buchanan, and others) are simply facing reality. It is a reality our troops will come up against if the "widen the war" faction led by Bill Kristol has its way -- and not just once, but again and again. Patriotism is a valid idea and a benevolent emotion: but when emotion begins to rule over reason, I fear for the national interest -- and the survival of our republic.

16 posted on 10/09/2001 3:50:45 PM PDT by Justin Raimondo

"When you stick your hand inside a hornet's nest, you are likely to get stung. That is a "root cause" anybody should be able to understand. "

Actually, that isn't a "root cause" per se, it is an incidental cause whose effect is dictated largely by complex, often preexisting motivations. It doesn't take into account the instincts of the hornets, why they sting, if they've built their nest on property you own, or the costs for not dealing with them. If being stung is the only possible outcome of dealing with hornets, this analogy might make sense as a warning against all interventionist policy. But again, it ignores the costs of inaction once the hornets have already been stirred to anger, and it legitimizes the hornets' sting as a moral response, based primarily on geography.

I'd be interested in reading your take on our involvement in World War II. Do you have a link handy?

17 posted on 10/09/2001 6:00:20 PM PDT by Mr. Bungle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

It is no doubt true that our policy vis a vis Israel provides some fuel for the terrorist Islamic fundamentalist agenda. So what? You may wish our foreign policy to be constrained by terrorists. I prefer not to if the policy is otherwise right and just and in our interests. On that of course we also disagree, but that is another matter.

You crack about Neocons believing in the end of history is really quite ludicrous. I hope I don't make equally as silly comments about rather uni-dimensional isolationist libertarians. But I guess that also is in the eye of the beholder.

18 posted on 10/09/2001 7:59:53 PM PDT by Torie

Pat Buchanan is facing reality? Now that would be a neat new trick for him.
19 posted on 10/10/2001 11:45:11 AM PDT by CWOJackson

To: Mr. Bungle
The creature otherwise known as raimondo did an article not that long ago about Pearl Harbor. His basic theme was some polite Japanese tourists came to Hawaii and the evil American Navy falsely set them up to provide cover for American imperialism, etc.
20 posted on 10/10/2001 1:01:44 PM PDT by CWOJackson
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-25 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson