Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Will Osama Appear In Pakistan?
Travis McGee | October 25, 2001 | Travis McGee

Posted on 10/25/2001 8:30:14 AM PDT by Travis McGee

I have come up with what I think is going to happen next in the ongoing drama. Forgive this vanity post, but I think the idea demands discussion in advance of the possible event.

I think OBL is heading for Karachi or Islamabad.

He will stay in Pakistan because it has nukes and medium range rockets, is unstable and ready to blow up like Iran in 79, and of course is closest to Afghanistan for covert travel ease. He wants to be seen as the Mahdi, (Moslem messiah, the next Prophet of Allah) and to do that he needs the adoring masses, and proof that he has humiliated and beaten the Great Satan (and the lackey sell-out government of Musharraf). His "miraculous" escape from under the Amriki bombers and his secret journey to Pakistan will "prove" that the Hand of Allah is protecting and guiding him.

To ensure his safety he will at all times be surrounded by millions of fanatics in densely packed slums where we can not bomb him or send in troops. The micro-model for this will be "Blackhawk Down", the Battle of Mogadishu where (in the Moslem view) they won a great victory and drove the USA out of Somalia. Al Q'aida was instrumental in that battle, particularly by introducing modified anti-helicopter time-fused air-bursting RPGs, and the tactics which led to the shootdowns of several US helicopters, which caused the simple half hour Delta/Ranger "snatch" raid to spin out of control into a furious day and night long battle.

Every day that OBL is loose, appearing like a Super Pope on balconies in front of 100s of thousands of adoring jihadists, his power and influence worldwide will soar like a moon rocket. He will have the 24/7 attention of the entire world media for his every pronouncement, and then he can "ascend" into heaven proving he is truly the Mahdi. Even if we drop a smart bomb on his balcony, he "ascends to heaven" and wins.

If we dare to risk a helicopter/ground attack into the teeming slums to capture or kill him, he will get his "super battle of Mogadishu", which will suit his purpose by killing countless thousands of Moslem noncombatants, driving the entire Moslem world instantly into a world war on America.

And of course any smart bomb we dared to use to kill OBL will kill hundreds of adoring moslem children, proving what bloodthirsty butchers the infidels are.

Even if snipers or or precision fired Hellfire rockets "take him out" on his balcony, we may only kill an OBL double, allowing "the Mahdi" to be "resurrected from the dead" for new appearances, driving his power and influence still higher into the stratosphere.

This scenario has been his ultimate goal all along I believe. I wonder if anyone at the NSC, CIA , NSA or DOS has prepared a counter move to this very possible, even likely, scenario?

TOPICS: Announcements; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: talibanlist
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 261-272 next last
Just something to consider, in the event that Osama is successfully smuggled out of Afghanistan.
1 posted on 10/25/2001 8:30:14 AM PDT by Travis McGee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Travis McGee
Did tickets go on sale yet?
2 posted on 10/25/2001 8:31:45 AM PDT by dead
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: harpseal; Squantos; Lent; patent; rebdov; 2sheep; MHGinTN; Common Tator
bttt
3 posted on 10/25/2001 8:31:47 AM PDT by Travis McGee

To: boris; AGAviator; Bernard Marx; semaj; Twodees; HardStarboard; JeepInMazar
bttt
4 posted on 10/25/2001 8:33:21 AM PDT by Travis McGee

To: nunya bidness; The Shrew; Publius6961; Stingray; wardaddy; FITZ; Serge
bttt
5 posted on 10/25/2001 8:34:30 AM PDT by Travis McGee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: gonzo; Yougottabekidding; Francohio; Manny Festo; Sabertooth
bttt
6 posted on 10/25/2001 8:36:01 AM PDT by Travis McGee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: SevenDaysInMay; Jefferson Adams; ScreamingFist; Prism; Pericles; 300winmag; PatrioticAmerican
bttt
7 posted on 10/25/2001 8:37:14 AM PDT by Travis McGee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Seriously, he won't appear in front of hundreds of thousands, because no matter what audience he stands in front of, there will be a certain percentage that are just dying to take him out.

There are thousands of armed Northern Alliance soldiers alone, who would blend in perfectly with the crowd. In addition, there is a $10 million reward on his head, for those who don't have an ideological or theological dog in this race.

8 posted on 10/25/2001 8:40:27 AM PDT by dead

To: dead
The same was true for Mohammed Farah Aidid in Mogadishu, but Aidid got to pick "his" slums, and the other warlords were no more able to catch or kill him than were Delta and the Rangers.

I hope you're right, I hope he dies buried in a cave bunker in Afghanistan.

I just throw this out in case it happens: what will we do then?

9 posted on 10/25/2001 8:43:26 AM PDT by Travis McGee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

I'm just as happy fighting that war today as tomorrow. When are we going to be more motivated or better prepared? When Hillary becomes president? As I see it we have 3-7 years before Bush is gone, and as much as I think he is avoiding the real fight here, whoever replaces him is going to be worse. If Osama wants to fire this up and bring a couple thousand martyrs with him, go for it. It won't be pretty, and we will suffer, but I think it likely we will be in better shape afterwards.

patent

10 posted on 10/25/2001 8:43:40 AM PDT by patent

How about a cameo on West Wing?
11 posted on 10/25/2001 8:45:22 AM PDT by KirkandBurke

There are thousands of armed Northern Alliance soldiers alone, who would blend in perfectly with the crowd.

How can you say that? The NA are mainly ethnic Tadzhiks who speak no Pakistani dialects.

As far as the rewards, OBL has had huge rewards on his head for years, with no results.

12 posted on 10/25/2001 8:46:50 AM PDT by Travis McGee

If he makes it to Pakistan that presents a whole new problem in this war. Will we (the USA) then turn on Pakistan for harboring a terrorist?
13 posted on 10/25/2001 8:49:28 AM PDT by Mixer

With every day of bombing, Bin Ladin is getting more and more support in Pakistan from people who previously were opposed to the Taliban. There have been collateral casualties and these people are going to believe their own kinfolk rather than the US media.

There was an article yesterday I think in the UK Guardian that says the frontier provinces are really siding with Bin Ladin more and more, even though many of them never did before. The only thing that will head this off is some ex-mujahideen commanders who will support the US. Even they won't be able to pull it off if we keep doing things without regard to local sentiments.

14 posted on 10/25/2001 8:53:07 AM PDT by AGAviator

Pakistan doesn't have a force field surrounding it. It can be attacked by the U.S. also, if required.
15 posted on 10/25/2001 8:53:19 AM PDT by TADSLOS

You may be right that he would want to head for Pakistan. He could accomplish several things there, as you said to whip up a revolutionary mob to oust Musharraf and to grab control of the nukes. With that much power he could force all infidel troops to retreat off Pakistani soil post haste, giving him yet another huge symbolic victory for his adoring minions. I still think what he really wants most is to take over Saudi Arabia and control Mecca and Medina directly as the "dark tower" of Islam, with of course Osama as the dark pope of a new hyper-Islamist kingdom.
16 posted on 10/25/2001 8:53:50 AM PDT by Sender

This is why it is important to keep the bombing going even during the muslim Rama-lama-ding-dong holiday..........keep him pinned down!!!!!
17 posted on 10/25/2001 8:54:15 AM PDT by DoctorMichael

Travis, good example of a valid and thoughtful vanity post. You have provoked a lot of thought. Let's hope the CIA reads it as well. The CIA was emasculated by Clinton but is slowly growing back some power. Regular doses of FR could speed up the process.
18 posted on 10/25/2001 8:55:20 AM PDT by Vinomori

How can you say that? The NA are mainly ethnic Tadzhiks who speak no Pakistani dialects.

The Northern Alliance includes soldiers of Tajik, Uzbek and Hazara ethnic backgrounds, as well as a limited, but increasing number of Pashtuns.

As far as the rewards, OBL has had huge rewards on his head for years, with no results.

Because he hasn’t appeared in front of crowds of “100s of thousands” or even thousands. He will continue to refrain from doing that in order to stay alive.

19 posted on 10/25/2001 9:01:19 AM PDT by dead
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Well thought out and extremely plausible. The only thing I would add is the India factor. The Indians are only waiting for an excuse, and a scenario such as this would be a golden opportunity. I doubt seriously that if OBL staged a succesful coup in Pakistan that Indians would hesitate. They would also have the support of the Americans, Russians and the Chinese.
20 posted on 10/25/2001 9:01:21 AM PDT by 101viking

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 261-272 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson