Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Freep this poll! Should Korean War Vet who may lose home for flying Old Glory back down?
Jupiter Courier ^ | 10/28/01 | Randall Murry

Posted on 10/28/2001 5:47:29 AM PST by LarryLied

What do you think George Andres should do in this flag pole battle with his homeowners association?

Keep the flag pole up and fight the association
Take the flag pole down and continue to fight
Give up the fight and take the flag pole down

Vote here:

http://www.tcpalm.com/_special/flag/index.shtml

Lead story in today's Jupiter Courier (not on the net yet):

Association stands firm in flag flap

By Randall Murry

Ask Christine Royce of Jupiter about the controversy that has consumed her community and must of her personal and professions life for the last three years and she responds with an emphatic statement. Then she repeats it.

"This is not about the American flag!"

Royce, 49, is president of the now infamous Indian Creek Phase III-B Homeowners Association. The 96 home community has been embroiled in a disagreement that evolved into a dispute that because a lawsuit and now has mushroomed into an international cause.

All because of George Andres and his flagpole. Not his flag, Rocye reiterates, "It's his flagpole."

Royce has been largely silent on the issue, although two court decisions have in the homeowners associations's favor. Andres, who erected his 12-foot flagpole on the lawn of his home at 125 Doe Trail nearly three years ago says he had verbal permission from a previous board. The present board disagrees. The boards says the association bylaws prohibit "appurtenances" on the lawn. Andres disagrees.

He has countersued the homeowners association, claiming its ations have embarrassed the community as is prohibited in the same bylaws.

The fight has become personal. Royce accuses Andres of "misrepresenting facts" and of "wrapping himself in the American flag."

She charges him with conducting a vendetta against her and the board, in spite of its dedication to "no selective enforcement " of assocation bylaws.

And so, the battle over who's right, who's wrong--and who pays the bills--goes on.

Not even last week's passage by Florida's Legislature of a bill permitting residents to fly flags, despite homewoner association regulations against it, has swayed Royce and her fellow board members. Royce, who works for a West Palm Beach law firm, points out that such a law cannot be passed ex post facto--or to cover situations that preceded its passage.

Royce, who has lived in Indian Creek for 11 years, said she is convinced the action the board reluctantly brought against an intransigent Andres is correct and support by law.

(snip)...Public reaction to the court action and the pending forclosure actions against Andres' home is overwhelming in support of the flagpole and of Andres 64, a Marine vetern who served in the final days of the Korean conflict.

Earlier this month, the Military Order of the Purple Hearts, comprised of wounded veterans, said it will come to the Andres home ov Veterans Day, Nov 11, and conduct a full memorial ceremony there-including a 21 gun rifle salute.

Jupiter Police Chief Richard Westgate has denied the group permission to the fire the rifles.

Carlos Fernandes, leader of the Broward Country organization commented, "we just might do it anyway."

randall.murray@scripps.com

Previous Jupiter Courier articles:

Vet's to help "flag man" celebrate Veteran's Day

Jupiter "flag man" could lose his home

TOPICS: Activism/Chapters; Announcements
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 141-156 next last
Any typos in the article are mine. The full article (without mistakes) should be at the links above sometime soon.
1 posted on 10/28/2001 5:47:30 AM PST by LarryLied
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: LarryLied
Keep the flag up and fight!
2 posted on 10/28/2001 5:51:30 AM PST by FreePaul
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

LL, Thanks for the heads up. -bw

==============================
From Poll: What do you think George Andres should do in this flag pole battle with his homeowners association?
So far:

Keep the flag pole up and fight the association 92%
Take the flag pole down and continue to fight 8%
Give up the fight and take the flag pole down 0%
61 votes so far.

3 posted on 10/28/2001 5:54:58 AM PST by bwteim

Freeeeeeeee.......eeeeped 93%
4 posted on 10/28/2001 5:56:45 AM PST by Blacksheep

To: Blacksheep
Jupiter is not a big town and the Jupiter Courier, which is published only twice a week, probably will get more hits to their website in the next ten minutes than they have all month.

Btw...the managing editor is a Clinton loving liberal.

5 posted on 10/28/2001 6:02:28 AM PST by LarryLied
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

All because of George Andres and his flagpole. Not his flag, Rocye reiterates, "It's his flagpole."

"Who ARE these PEOPLE?"............Sienfeld

Has she even had a good look at his flagpole? Hmmmm?

6 posted on 10/28/2001 6:03:14 AM PST by budwiesest

The homeowner's association can claim the right to tell this man what he can and cannot do on his private property when they A)pay his mortgage or B)pay his property taxes or C)his activity poses clear and present danger to other citizens (of course the flagpole prsents a danger only to someone who is on his property, which would be trespassing if they werent invited) .......
7 posted on 10/28/2001 6:04:09 AM PST by thusevertotyrants

To: budwiesest
The take the flag pole down and stop fighting has gotten some votes. Has the DNC-Underground posted this poll?

Keep votting.
8 posted on 10/28/2001 6:06:05 AM PST by Libertarian_4_eva
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I did not double vote (my dogs can always walk across a keyboard)..... but look at count now:

Keep the flag pole up and fight the association 74%
Take the flag pole down and continue to fight 4%
Give up the fight and take the flag pole down 22%

9 posted on 10/28/2001 6:07:29 AM PST by bwteim

To: LarryLied; *bang_list
41% SAY HE SHOULD TAKE IT DOWN AND GIVE UP!

FREEP! FREEP AS YOU HAVE NEVER FREEPED BEFORE!

"Bang List" FRiends, forgive me please. I know this is not a firearms related thread, but it's the FLAG for cryin' out loud.

10 posted on 10/28/2001 6:12:22 AM PST by LibKill

To: LibKill
bttt
11 posted on 10/28/2001 6:13:31 AM PST by bwteim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I just think this is so awful...I can't believe how stupid people can be! The guy was wounded for our country, our freedoms..they very things they are trying to take away!

Sad, sad, sad!

I live near there and I have been tempted to get a freep activity going there! anybody else interested!

12 posted on 10/28/2001 6:13:31 AM PST by surfer

Done! Keep that flag flying proud and fight!
13 posted on 10/28/2001 6:14:08 AM PST by sneakers

Keep the flag and fight !!
14 posted on 10/28/2001 6:15:16 AM PST by Dustbunny

Hey everybody, you can vote more than once. Click Away!
15 posted on 10/28/2001 6:17:28 AM PST by Rodney King

Move to an American community!!
16 posted on 10/28/2001 6:18:56 AM PST by mbb bill

I just got in over 50 votes. But the cursor on the button and just click away, you can get in like 20 votes before it change to the screen that shows the tally.
17 posted on 10/28/2001 6:19:21 AM PST by Rodney King

To: Dustbunny
I would paint my windows,the glass,red,white amd blue. I would not want to live in such a place. It kind of sounds like communism.
18 posted on 10/28/2001 6:22:44 AM PST by GregB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Rodney King; *FREEP!
I just got in over 50 votes. Put the cursor on the button and just click away, you can get in like 20 votes before it change to the screen that shows the tally.

Megathanks. My møuse is set on fullauto. My resolve is strong.:)

19 posted on 10/28/2001 6:23:29 AM PST by LibKill
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

FReeped
80%
0%
20%
1197 T/votes
20 posted on 10/28/2001 6:24:08 AM PST by spartan68

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 141-156 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson