Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Letter from Roger Ailes about Geraldo Rivera
Email from FoxNews Channel CEO ^ | 11/2/01 | Roger AIles

Posted on 11/02/2001 1:44:58 PM PST by Norb2569

A Word from FNC C.E.O. Roger Ailes
On November 1st, Fox News Channel signed Geraldo Rivera to be a war correspondent. Upon hearing this news, some of you sent e-mails expressing your concern. As a result, Roger Ailes, Chairman and C.E.O. of the Fox News Channel, drafted this response to those who have written in:

Dear Fox Fans:
Thank you for your letters. Geraldo Rivera has had a long and controversial career and I disagree with many of the things he has said in his life. However, I don't hire only people who agree with me. Geraldo is being hired as a war correspondent. He has been in action in Bosnia and covered the drug wars in South America. He is fearless and has a record of doing exemplary work on issues such as mental health, drugs, and war, just to name a few.

Geraldo, by his own admission, has made mistakes in his career. But at his core, he is a solid journalist. Frankly, he could have made millions of dollars more by staying in his safe NBC contract, but he elected to go in harms way to cover the biggest story of our time. He, like many of us, has been changed by the events of September 11th. That doesn't mean we will all agree on every issue, but it does mean that Fox News Channel is truly committed to fair and balanced news. I have great confidence in the American people to make up their own minds if they hear all the facts.

I'm not sure if I will be able to convince people whose minds are made up, but while very opinionated, you strike me as viewers who may be open to at least a wait-and-see attitude. I appreciate your opinions. Please keep watching the Fox News Channel even if you don't agree with all 168 hours a week. We do our best, we are making a difference, and we are #1.
Sincerely,
Roger Ailes

TOPICS: Announcements; Foreign Affairs
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-102 next last
I just received this email from FNC, just wanted to share it with everyone.

Norb in Jacksonville

1 posted on 11/02/2001 1:44:59 PM PST by Norb2569 (Norb2569@aol.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Norb2569
Is this another indicator that Fox is outfoxing CNN and the rest of the big boys?
2 posted on 11/02/2001 1:48:13 PM PST by Silly
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Geraldo may be a weinie, but he clinks when he walks. And it ain't because he's got a pocket full of change either. Ailes is right. The guy is absolutely fearless.
3 posted on 11/02/2001 2:02:09 PM PST by Woahhs

I just posted to another ongoing thread. Ailes likes him, he can have him, but no way for me. I didn't like him on NBC or wherever he was, don't like him now. Closed-mind maybe, but unforgiving for his love of the Clintons.
4 posted on 11/02/2001 2:06:59 PM PST by katze

To: Silly
Outfoxing CNN with Geraldo? Why not add someone like Drudge? Anyone but Geraldo.
5 posted on 11/02/2001 2:08:34 PM PST by katze
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Woahhs
The guy is absolutely fearless.

3 posted on 11/2/01 3:02 PM Pacific by Woahhs

He squealed, ran, then whined, when someone popped him in the snoot a few years ago. He's an attention-seeker, sorta like Clinton.

6 posted on 11/02/2001 2:12:37 PM PST by katze
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: katze
RIGHT ON!!
7 posted on 11/02/2001 2:32:04 PM PST by Clifdo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Drudge has been in a feud with Ailes for about two years. Apparently, he won't return to Fox until he's allowed to show that video footage of the little baby's hand reaching out of the mother's womb during a pre-natal procedure.
8 posted on 11/02/2001 2:38:16 PM PST by Squire
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

I just posted to another ongoing thread. Ailes likes him, he can have him, but no way for me.

Not only his love of the Clintons but the incessant Ken Starr bashing. I consider Geraldo just as loathsome as Bill Maher who also (erroneously) calls himself a Libertarian. Unless he goes undercover, in Afghanistan, in a burkah then count me out as well.

9 posted on 11/02/2001 2:39:40 PM PST by BunnySlippers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Clifdo
I appreciate your opinions

You wouldn't appreciate MY opinion, RA! You also stated that you "don't just hire people that agree with me." Why not? That's exactly what the other networks do! Quit trying to impress the liberal establishment with liberal additions to FOX, Roger. They don't care; we conservatives DO care! Support your base, let the enemy support theirs!!!!!

10 posted on 11/02/2001 2:40:50 PM PST by Malcolm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Woahhs
He's taken a lot of risks that other people in the "news business" would never have even tried. I'm willing to wait and see how he does.

I've been amazed lately. Folks who I've disagreed with politically all seem to have a new "take" on this war since 911. I know I've changed fundamentally as well. I'm much more willing to work with people than I was before. I am also mad as hell at the perpetrators of of 911.

If G. Rivera is half as ticked off as he's been on his show the last few weeks, he may wind up finding OBL and taking him out personally. He really has been itching to give him "what for".

Let's all try to be open minded and wait and see. We can run his butt into the ground if he turns out to be a Talibutt sympathizer.

11 posted on 11/02/2001 2:43:14 PM PST by Goldi-Lox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Because Drudge isn't a war correspondent
12 posted on 11/02/2001 2:46:11 PM PST by asneditor
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Geraldo is a cameleon. His colors change according to the situation if it suits his ego, and career track.

If Ailes lured him to Fox, and ever....ever, turns his back on him and gets stabbed, then so be it, he was forewarned.

13 posted on 11/02/2001 2:48:55 PM PST by DainBramage

To: Malcolm
Quit trying to impress the liberal establishment with liberal additions to FOX, Roger. They don't care; we conservatives DO care! Support your base, let the enemy support theirs!!!!!

In case you haven't noticed...we're at WAR! Get with the program. We no longer have the luxury of polarizing with "our base" and "their base" thinking which does nothing but weaken us with petty silly nonsense issues. That ALL ended on 9-11. No more US and THEM...it's time for ALL US AMERICANS to defeat THEM TALIBANS.

14 posted on 11/02/2001 2:49:02 PM PST by Goldi-Lox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Jerry Rivers is just another liberal extremist. He's not brave, he's simply an opportunistic bolshevik.
15 posted on 11/02/2001 2:55:50 PM PST by waxhaw

Ailes is putting Rivera in the "strike zone" and I somehow don't really have a problem with that...
16 posted on 11/02/2001 2:58:49 PM PST by lawgirl

Ditto. I can't stand Jerry R. and I hated the way he sucked up to the clintons.
17 posted on 11/02/2001 3:05:41 PM PST by reillyoburbank
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: asneditor
Because Drudge isn't a war correspondent

12 posted on 11/2/01 3:46 PM Pacific by asneditor

Okay, then "Anyone but Geraldo".

18 posted on 11/02/2001 3:05:43 PM PST by katze
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Goldi-Lox
Ok, I get it; all we have to do now is unite and forget who's who in politics. I will never do that. Principle is still principle. If you want to lock arms with Geraldo, go right ahead. And NO, I will not get with YOUR program, because it sucks. I've got a better one. But thanks for asking....NOT!!!!!
19 posted on 11/02/2001 3:05:54 PM PST by Malcolm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Goldi-Lox
.it's time for ALL US AMERICANS to defeat THEM TALIBANS.

14 posted on 11/2/01 3:49 PM Pacific by Goldi-Lox

We were all Americans when Rivera was telling us what a good man Clinton is.

20 posted on 11/02/2001 3:07:57 PM PST by katze
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-102 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson