Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

NY Times photographer: "Don't trust anything you see on TV"
Media Research Center's Cyberalert ^ | November 6, 2001 | Brent Baker

Posted on 11/06/2001 9:31:38 AM PST by Mr. Mulliner

Don't trust the media, at least not CNN. Says who? A new York Times photographer in Pakistan. Catching up with an item caught last week by Jim Romenesko's MediaNews, on a Web page for sports photographers Vincent Laforet advised: "Don't trust anything you see on TV and be wary of some of the things you read." The Times photographer revealed: "We covered a pro-Taliban demonstration last week attended by maybe 5,000 protestors. CNN stated there were 50,000."

In a lengthy recounting of his travails about photographing in Pakistan, Laforet wrote:

"Speaking of the media, I have but one thing to tell you. Don't trust anything you see on TV and be weary of some of the things you read. I witnessed how sensationalistic the media can be during the Florida recount. It's even worse here. We covered a pro-Taliban demonstration last week attended by maybe 5,000 protestors. CNN stated there were 50,000. The BBC estimated 40,000. We're continually hearing of "violent clashes with police" when the TV stations report on non-violent demonstrations we covered ourselves."
To read his dispatch in full, illustrated by some of his photos, go to this address and scroll down to the second story: http://www.manginphotography.com/sptshtr36.html

Since he offered no date, it's hard to correlate his statement with what CNN actually reported that day.

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-103 next last
This shouldn't surprise anyone who's been around. The media regularly exaggerates the numbers from demonstrations they consider their sacred cows such as abortion, gun-grabbing, and gay rights. And they regularly shrink the numbers at rallies of conservatives. Just shows how the media has classified the Islamic demonstrators.

By the way, I'd be interested if anyone else comes across similar stories of exaggerations from the war front.

1 posted on 11/06/2001 9:31:38 AM PST by Mr. Mulliner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: *CCRM
Even the media doesn't trust the media.
2 posted on 11/06/2001 9:33:48 AM PST by Mr. Mulliner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Singapore_Yank
I am shocked. Simply shocked.

3 posted on 11/06/2001 9:35:32 AM PST by Diogenesis

The pot calls the kettle black. The Times claimed there were 10,000 antiwar demonstrators at an Oct. 7 peace rally in Union Square, and there were less than a thousand by our count (we were there).
4 posted on 11/06/2001 9:38:02 AM PST by hellinahandcart

We should bump this.
5 posted on 11/06/2001 9:38:14 AM PST by RaceBannon

To: Diogenesis
Switzerland?
6 posted on 11/06/2001 9:38:15 AM PST by znix
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

>Don't trust the media, at least not CNN. Says who? A New York Times photographer in Pakistan.

[shrugs] Tell us something we don't know.

However, it is interesting to note that the media is now telling us not to trust the media.

I'm inclined to think such actions and advice are part of a large, integrated m!nd-f#ck designed specifically to 1) further polarize the population between those who _trust_ the media and those who _don't_ ; and 2) isolate people behind constantly changing walls of dis-information so that they realize they can't trust anything because then what are people supposed to do? How are people supposed to make decisions when they _acknowledge_ that all their input is either lies or indistinguishable from lies?!

Mark W.

7 posted on 11/06/2001 9:39:11 AM PST by MarkWar

Look to Fox news and the Internet for information. The OldDominantLiberalMedia should only be used to see what they *want* you to think.
8 posted on 11/06/2001 9:39:41 AM PST by marktwain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

So would I. I'm soooooo tired of the SPIN that comes from the media. It is bad enough to hear the spin from leaders, democRats, terrorists, etc. BUT the media, instead of being "watch dogs" have become just as bad, imho.
9 posted on 11/06/2001 9:42:24 AM PST by Reborn

When does the NY Slimes and CNN lie to the sheeple who believe in them?
10 posted on 11/06/2001 9:42:34 AM PST by Grampa Dave

To: Singapore_Yank; be-baw
Great post, SY!
11 posted on 11/06/2001 9:42:59 AM PST by kayak

I never knew Switzerland was behind the Iron Curtain! Thanks for the information. / sarcasm.
12 posted on 11/06/2001 9:43:45 AM PST by Howlin

be weary of some of the things you read

I've been weary of the things I read in the liberal media for a long time. Wary also! :^)

13 posted on 11/06/2001 9:45:13 AM PST by Arkie2

Your comments are intellegent, insightfull, and informative. They also tend to mirror my own observations....;-)
14 posted on 11/06/2001 9:45:29 AM PST by marktwain

To Singapore_Yank,Now,wait just a darn minute!Do you mean to tell me that there weren't a Million Men at the rally that "Screwie-Louis" incited??The next thing that you're going to tell me is that there weren't a Million Moms at the "Million Moms March"!!Hey, they don't call it The Clinton News Network for nothing!!!
15 posted on 11/06/2001 9:45:59 AM PST by bandleader

I'll bet the Italians are very sad, losing their good northern neighbors and all.
16 posted on 11/06/2001 9:46:49 AM PST by jpsb

To: Arkie2
Whoops! There were two "wearys" in the original and I only corrected one of them.
17 posted on 11/06/2001 9:47:27 AM PST by Mr. Mulliner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: MarkWar
Was it not CNN that said we would need 50,000 body bags for our soldiers in Iraq? What a bunch of liberal elitists blowhards.
18 posted on 11/06/2001 9:49:27 AM PST by NC Conservative
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

if liberals could count, do you think that our national debt would be over a trillion dollars right now?
19 posted on 11/06/2001 9:52:24 AM PST by mlocher

To: marktwain
Look to Fox news and the Internet for information.

Why is Fox so trustworthy? Be sceptical about them all.

20 posted on 11/06/2001 9:57:40 AM PST by Youngblood
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-103 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson