Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Quotations Whose Publication May Cause My Arrest For "Sedition"
Lew Rockwell ^ | December 4, 2001 | Ronald Bradley

Posted on 12/04/2001 4:16:26 PM PST by billybudd

Quotations Whose Publication May Cause My Arrest For "Sedition" Under GW Bush's Misnamed "Patriot" Act, Indefinite Detention, Secret Trial In A Foreign Land Before A Military Tribunal, And Execution

Selected by Ronald Bradley

The following quotations about the nature of government were extracted from HL Mencken's masterful (and enormous) A New Dictionary Of Quotations On Historical Principles. Interestingly, the book was published in 1942 – during an earlier (and Constitutionally declared) war.

"When good government prevails men of little worth submit to men of great worth. When bad government prevails men of little power submit to men of great power." ~ Mencius, c. 300 BC

"Monarchy degenerates into tyranny, aristocracy into oligarchy, and democracy into savage violence and chaos." ~ Polybius, c. 125 BC

"A good government produces citizens distinguished for courage, love of justice, and every other good quality; a bad government makes them cowardly, rapacious, and the slave of every foul desire." ~ Dionysius of Halicarnassus, c. 20 BC

"He who wishes to be a tyrant, and does not slay Brutus, and he who wishes to establish a free state, and does not slay the sons of Brutus, maintains his work for only a short time." ~ Machiavelli, 1531

"The world is ruled by a certain few, even as a little boy of twelve years old rules, governs and keeps a hundred great and strong oxen upon a pasture." ~ Luther, 1569

"I will govern according to the common weal, but not according to the common will." ~ King James I, 1621

"When a government lasts a long while it deteriorates by insensible degrees. Republics end through luxury, monarchies through poverty." ~ Montesquieu, 1748

"In rivers and bad governments the lightest things swim at the top." ~ Franklin, 1754

"In all sorts of government man is made to believe himself free, and to be in chains." ~ King Stanislaus of Poland, 1763

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best stage, is but a necessary evil; in its worst stage, an intolerable one." ~ Paine, 1776

"Government is, abstractedly taken, an evil, a usurpation upon the private judgment and individual conscience of mankind. Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness." ~ Jefferson, 1796

"Every nation has the government it deserves." ~ de Maistre, 1811

"Whatever government is not a government of laws is a despotism, be it called what it may." ~ Webster, 1835

"The less government we have the better." ~ Emerson, 1841

"The object of the state is always the same: to limit the individual, to tame him, to subordinate him, to subjugate him." ~ Stirner, 1845

"Whoever lays his hand on me to govern me is a usurper and tyrant, and I declare him my enemy." ~ Proudhon, 1849

"The authority of government can have no pure right over my person or property but what I concede to it." ~ Thoreau, 1849

"No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent." ~ Lincoln, 1854

"All government is evil." ~ Haydon, 1876

"Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us." ~ Tolstoi, 1893

"Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficient." ~ Brandeis, 1928

"For three long years I have been going up and down this country preaching that government costs too much. I shall not stop that preaching." ~ FDR, 1932

And from Mencken himself…..

"A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar."

"There’s no underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

"Wars will never cease until babies come into the world with larger cerebrums and smaller adrenal glands."

"To wage a war for a purely moral reason is as absurd as to ravish a woman for a purely moral reason."

"All government is organized exploitation, and in virtually all of its existing forms it is the implacable enemy of every industrious and well-disposed man."

"We suffer most when the White House is bursting with ideas."

December 4, 2001

Ronald Bradley [send him mail] is director of the Hippocrates Health Centre of Australia.

Copyright © 2001 LewRockwell.com

The Truth Needs Your Support
Please make a donation to help LewRockwell.com tell it,
no matter what nefarious plans Leviathan has.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Some fun quotes on government for your enjoyment.
1 posted on 12/04/2001 4:16:26 PM PST by billybudd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: billybudd
I didn't know Lew wasn't a U.S. Citizen.
2 posted on 12/04/2001 4:19:24 PM PST by B Knotts
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #3 Removed by Moderator

To: B Knotts
Well, he certainly talks like he isn't one.

But, then again, Lew never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

4 posted on 12/04/2001 4:24:22 PM PST by TomB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

"For three long years I have been going up and down this country preaching that government costs too much. I shall not stop that preaching." ~ FDR, 1932

What a cruelly ironic quote THIS is!

5 posted on 12/04/2001 4:29:59 PM PST by Redbob45

To: B Knotts; TomB
FYI, The source is Lew Rockwell's site, but the author is Ronald Bradley. Thanks.
6 posted on 12/04/2001 4:30:42 PM PST by billybudd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: TomB
"Conservatism and Progressivism are compatible" (or some such nonsense) -Lew Rockwell

lol what a loon, Commie alert!

7 posted on 12/04/2001 4:34:39 PM PST by Darheel
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Oops. Misread that. Well, is this other guy not a U.S. Citizen?
8 posted on 12/04/2001 4:36:46 PM PST by B Knotts
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

bump
9 posted on 12/04/2001 4:39:36 PM PST by IRtorqued

To: Redbob45

Sounds like a bubbacrat triangulating to me. You didn't think he took all the money just to give you government, did you?

10 posted on 12/04/2001 4:46:21 PM PST by Elihu Burritt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: B Knotts
According to the Lew Rockwell site, Ronald Bradley is director of the Hippocrates Health Centre of Australia.
11 posted on 12/04/2001 5:06:48 PM PST by Grut
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Let's make this the shortest fundraiser ever.
4 days into the fundraiser and we are 59% there.
We can be finished in 4 more days
and get back to our regular freeping.
If you can, come on and contribute
to the best web site on the internet.
Or stop by and help bump the thread!

Freepathon Holidays are Here Again: Let's Really Light Our Tree This Year - Thread 5

Click on the FreeRepublic eagle for secure credit card donations,

or Snail Mail:
FREE REPUBLIC, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794

Send PayPal direct to JimRob@psnw.com

12 posted on 12/04/2001 6:52:47 PM PST by WIMom

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson