Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Why Janet Reno is a Terrible Candidate - a discussion thread by our friends at DemocraticUnderground
www.democraticunderground.com ^ | December 2001 | posters at Democratic Underground

Posted on 12/08/2001 6:16:05 AM PST by summer

To FR (from summer),

I know some people at FR aren't interested in any mention of the DU forum, so for those people, just forget I posted this thread.

For other FR posters -- I visited DU today hoping the politics section might have a DU poster willing to recognize some of the many good things Gov. Jeb Bush has done for FL, especially in education, and then explain why all these good deeds are not good enough.

I was wondering where exactly the Dems are on the issues, including education.... And, why they believe their positions are better than Gov. Bush's positions (and, better than what I believe is his outstanding record of achievment on so many issues, especially in education).

For me -- an independent FL voter, and a former Dem -- that kind of conversation could perhaps be an intelligent discussion. So, today, though I admit I'm not always feeling so open-minded about the Dems, I wanted to find out what I am perhaps missing.

But, no such luck.

Instead, I found a thread about why the posters at DU think Rosie O'Donnell should stay out of politics -- which evolved into a discussion on why Janet Reno is a terrible candidate.

Huh, I thought..... that's about sums up what many people at FR believe too......

hmmmm.....LOL....

Click on the source link if you'd like to read this DU thread, which some of you may find very amusing. (One DU poster actually suggested Al Gore should run for FL governor.)

TOPICS: Announcements; Editorial; Politics/Elections
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-70 next last
Now, here's my question: If Dem voters don't want to persuade independents to vote for Reno, and don't even want to vote for Janet Reno themselves, then -- who in FL is going to vote for her???? (Other than Rosie O'Donnell?)
1 posted on 12/08/2001 6:16:05 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: summer
To: ALL -- BTW, this is my title:

Why Janet Reno is a Terrible Candidate - a discussion thread by our friends at DemocraticUnderground

I couldn't use their title because we already have that article about Rosie posted on this forum.
2 posted on 12/08/2001 6:19:45 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

DU is a horrible site for some of us to load. Lots of freezes. Care to post a few excerpts?
3 posted on 12/08/2001 6:21:24 AM PST by LarryLied

I wish she'd make up her mind. First she's out there touting Shrub as a great president, and now she's campaigning for his brother's opponent. I almost wish celebrities would stay out of politics.

I have a SNEAKING SUSPICION that if Rosie was anti-Bush, they would be cheering her on, and not telling her to get out of politics. Those people are such idiots, their stupidity is so transparent.

4 posted on 12/08/2001 6:23:11 AM PST by xm177e2

To: LarryLied
Here's one I think you'll find amusing, Larry. Note that Pete Peterson -- the one candidate who I think would have really posed a threat to Gov. Bush, in this current pro-military climate-- is now working in some capactiy for FL and Gov. Jeb Bush, in FL's new, domestic terrorism department, which is an area of great interest to Peterson, as he is Vietnam vet and former ambassador to Vietnam:

heidiho (10 posts)

Dec-01-01, 08:45 PM (ET)
13. "What Happened to Pete Peterson?"
I think he'd make a fabulous candidate. Is he out of the race for sure?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Top

TruthIsAll (305 posts)
Dec-01-01, 09:04 PM (ET)
14. "Petersen took a job with the GW Bush Administration.." I forget which..so much for your middle of the road Democratic savior...he turned out to be just another poltical whore.

5 posted on 12/08/2001 6:30:11 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

When I have some more time, I will post more. Some are very funny, and some are quite telling, in that they really do know how polarizing a figure Reno is here in FL.
6 posted on 12/08/2001 6:34:45 AM PST by summer

I still think she will not be the candidate. I remain concerned that they will trot out a celebrity who has a home in Florida and qualifies as a resident.

Jeb can defeat Reno easily. I don't know how he would do against Martin Sheen or John Travolta.

7 posted on 12/08/2001 6:36:15 AM PST by Miss Marple
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Miss Marple
Well, Travolta is a fulltime FL resident -- he just bought a place near Ocala, in Central FL, because he likes to fly his planes.

I believe Reno will be the candidate, up to a week before the election -- and, then, when the Dem Party Leaders see she is only polling between 5%-10%, she will suddenly bow out, due to illness. Gov. Bush will win, unopposed.

The negative publicity resulting from such a huge loss by Reno may impact other races in the country, so I think at the very last minute, the Dem Leaders will make her get out of the race. But, she'll run. And, lose.
8 posted on 12/08/2001 6:40:24 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Miss Marple
As for Martin Sheen? Hmmm. I don't know. That would really be an insult to FL voters, if they can't find any Dem leader here in FL who actually KNOWS something about this state and its policies!!!!!!!!!!!
9 posted on 12/08/2001 6:42:45 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

In other posts, the DUmmies discovered that electric cars are rather limiting, some people are still using guns to commit crimes even though that's against the law, and paying taxes sucks.
10 posted on 12/08/2001 6:43:28 AM PST by Fifth Business

FYI --

LibDem (568 posts)

Dec-01-01, 11:22 PM (ET)
23. "Between Miami and the Panhandle"

ANY Democrat is going to have a hard time winning anyway. Reno's got a whole hell of people in Central Florida and the non-coastal cities pissed at her already. Between Waco and Ruby Ridge pissing off the gun folks to the false "anyone who believes in Jesus Christ is a cultist" quote idiots like Robertson keep spreading pissing of the fundies she's already lost way more than half the state. We're going to need moderate voters to win and Reno's not a moderate. I'd love to see her win, but I honestly don't think it could happen.

Anyone who wins Florida has GOT to win support from the big non-Miami coast cities (West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Tampa, etc...) the larger interior cities (Orlando, Ocala, etc...) and significant votes in N.Florida/the Panhandle. I can see her winning a lot of S. Florida and Orlando and MAYBE Tampa but the rest of that seems pretty closed to Janet Reno.

11 posted on 12/08/2001 6:48:26 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I wish the DU website was as easy to browse through as FR, because I get a kick out of seeing what they're "thinking" over there. I haven't had any problems with my computer locking up, but I get frustrated with how laborious it is to move through a thread over there -- you can't just scroll-through like you can here. Or can you? Maybe there's an easier way than clicking on each post individually, as I've been doing.
12 posted on 12/08/2001 6:49:48 AM PST by Yardstick

Hi, summer.... these are from my "most damaging links" collection ( but any web search will turn up scores & scores of them! )--

Reno for Guv? Recall *this*

You've heard the blather- now look at the record...

...and pass this on--

--The WACO horror--

Waco producer: Weapons photos falsified

FBI, Delta Force, ATF, All fire Shots into Mt. Carmal killing children

-DANFORTH'S FOLLY EXPOSED--

-David T. Hardy: An Interview With American Gun Owners' Best Friend ( & Waco )--

-FLIR Project--

Accountability at Waco

-"No More Wacos"--

- Waco--NewsMax.com Hot Topics --

More Waco links from The War Room:

-http://www.warroom.com/Waco/index.htm--

Justice for Waco and Oklahoma City, Davi...

Bozell columns -- 9/09/1999 -- Janet Ren...

Janet Reno Escapades-Strong Arm Tactics

There's more:

Impeach Reno Now

Janet Reno mishandled Elian fiasco; she ...

And even more Injustices:

Grant Snowden Case

Yesterday on Mike's Show - Janet Reno's ...

frontline: the child terror

13 posted on 12/08/2001 6:56:10 AM PST by backhoe

To: Yardstick
Never hard to restart but DU does freeze me up for minutes at a time. I like to check out what they have to say also. Have you visited Indymedia much? They are in melt down mode. Here is a thread (fast loading) which calls for shoplifting, among other things, to protest the war and the "coup" by Bush:

The Time Has Come

No need to register to reply.Impossible,apparently, to be banned.

14 posted on 12/08/2001 6:57:26 AM PST by LarryLied
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

I read some of the DU comments, has Jeb Bush really been such a terrible Gov?
15 posted on 12/08/2001 6:58:40 AM PST by Ditter

To: Yardstick; LarryLied
Maybe there's an easier way than clicking on each post individually, as I've been doing.

Yes, there is an easier way I've found: click on the small "View All" icon on the left side of the screen, and that will allow you to scroll down the entire thread. But, I agree, the layout and format here is far superior, and that's just a fact.
16 posted on 12/08/2001 6:58:45 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Ditter
I read some of the DU comments, has Jeb Bush really been such a terrible Gov?

LOL...Click on my screen name, and read some of the articles about Gov. Bush's actual record -- and decide for yourself. I think he's been great. Of course, they do not think so, sinice they would like a Dem governor instead of someone from the GOP.
17 posted on 12/08/2001 6:59:59 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

sinice = since
18 posted on 12/08/2001 7:00:34 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Ditter
Also, click here for a quick summary of Gov. Bush's achievements as governor.
19 posted on 12/08/2001 7:03:33 AM PST by summer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson are in Jacksonville right shooting a movie...
20 posted on 12/08/2001 7:04:14 AM PST by cactmh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-70 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson