Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Pakistanis Mourn Taliban Fighters
Yahoo ^ | 12/11/01 | Riaz Khan (AP)

Posted on 12/11/2001 11:23:33 AM PST by fm1

Pakistanis Mourn Taliban Fighters By RIAZ KHAN, Associated Press Writer

MALAKAND, Pakistan (AP) - Pakistanis fired with religious fervor poured into Afghanistan by the thousands to fight alongside the Taliban. Now, many are feared dead, those who have straggled home are traumatized and the families of the missing can only pray and curse the clerics who sent them.

``The American carpet bombing wiped out scores and scores of our fighters,'' said Khalid Khas, 27, who served on the front line near the Afghan capital, Kabul. ``It was like hell. After the bombing, often there weren't even bodies to collect. The Americans bombed us in the trenches and even when we were retreating. I don't know how many of my companions died.''

In addition to the U.S. airstrike, Pakistani fighters say many Afghans, including the Taliban, took their weapons and stole their money, bedding and even shoes.

The airstrikes began Oct. 7 to eliminate Osama bin Laden and his terrorist network - blamed for the Sept. 11 terrorist assaults on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The United States also targeted the Taliban for protecting bin Laden, triggering the collapse of the Islamic militia.

At least 8,000 to 10,000 tribesmen crossed into Afghanistan to fight against U.S. forces. Pakistani authorities say they went without government permission, using unmonitored mountain tracks.

The hard-line Islamic group Tehrik Nifaz Shariat-e-Mohammedi, which mobilized tribesmen in the border area, says at least 2,000 to 3,000 of its volunteers are missing and feared dead. The group's leader, firebrand cleric Sufi Mohammed, was jailed by Pakistan when he returned from Afghanistan last month with 30 other men.

``We curse Sufi Mohammed for sacrificing so many innocent lives,'' said Abdul Wahid, a 90-year-old tribal elder. ``It is because of him that so many children have become orphans and women widows.''

Maulvi Mohammed Alam, deputy chief of the Tehrik Nifaz Shariat-e-Mohammedi, said it was wrong to blame his leader. ``He just gave Almighty Allah's message. He did not force people to join him,'' he said.

Alam said his group believes 850 Pakistani tribesmen are prisoners of the anti-Taliban forces. ``If they are not freed, non-Pashtun Afghan refugees won't be safe here,'' he warned.

Local people say such retaliation could create serious problems in Pakistan's tribal region - home to tens of thousands of Afghan refugees.

Lack of information is a crushing burden for families of the missing, like Ameer Mohammed, 48, who vanished into Afghanistan in October.

``We pray that he has been taken prisoner by the northern alliance,'' said his 16-year-old son Omar, who now pushes his father's rickety handcart to sell fruit to support his nine-member family. ``We pray that he comes back.''

Omar said people are furious with clerics. ``They themselves returned unscathed, but left others to die,'' he said.

Syed Hanif, whose brother Gull went to Afghanistan, said he and his family had given up hope for his return.

``It is difficult to feed my own family,'' he said. How can I feed Gull's 11 children? We pray for his life and hope that when the new government in Afghanistan comes to power, they will release all Pakistanis.''

Eight-year-old Lubna, whose father Shah Hakeem hasn't returned, said she will have to give up school.

``There is no one to take care of us. I wish he hadn't gone to Afghanistan,'' she said.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: talibanlist
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-51 next last

1 posted on 12/11/2001 11:23:33 AM PST by fm1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Comment #2 Removed by Moderator

To: fm1
``The American carpet bombing wiped out scores and scores of our fighters,'' said Khalid Khas, 27, who served on the front line near the Afghan capital, Kabul. ``It was like hell. After the bombing, often there weren't even bodies to collect. The Americans bombed us in the trenches and even when we were retreating. I don't know how many of my companions died.''

Like I feel bad for you. First rule: Don't join sides with a bunch of animals who are unliked by their own people, and Rule 2) Don't F*** with the US when you attack it.

I say, they got off lucky.

3 posted on 12/11/2001 11:28:34 AM PST by KC_Conspirator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: fm1; *taliban_list

``We curse Sufi Mohammed for sacrificing so many innocent lives,'' said Abdul Wahid, a 90-year-old tribal elder. ``It is because of him that so many children have become orphans and women widows.''

Maulvi Mohammed Alam, deputy chief of the Tehrik Nifaz Shariat-e-Mohammedi, said it was wrong to blame his leader. ``He just gave Almighty Allah's message. He did not force people to join him,'' he said.

Allah lied!

Nice catch!

To find all articles tagged or indexed using taliban_list

Click here: taliban_list

4 posted on 12/11/2001 11:28:50 AM PST by Ernest_at_the_Beach

Comment #5 Removed by Moderator

>Omar said people are furious with clerics. ``They themselves returned unscathed, but left others to die,'' he said.
6 posted on 12/11/2001 11:30:36 AM PST by Dialup Llama

Do you think *maybe* these Pakistanis will get a clue, and blame the religious leaders who led them down the path to perdition? It's so much easier to blame Americans...
7 posted on 12/11/2001 11:31:16 AM PST by ikanakattara

Associated Press
In this image from television the body of a suspected al-Qaida fighter lies near the entrance to a cave hide-out used by al-Qaida forces in the Tora Bora area of eastern Afghanistan, Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2001. (AP Photo/CNN)

8 posted on 12/11/2001 11:31:22 AM PST by Oldeconomybuyer

To: KC_Conspirator
Hey, what's he moaning about? He is alive isn't he? He chose to go fight. he chose to run away from the fighting. he chose to cry and lament his stupidity. At least he had choices. Not like the men and women who had to choose falling from the top of the WTC or being burned alive....

Hey, BOZO... we haven't even started yet....
9 posted on 12/11/2001 11:32:13 AM PST by vannrox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Looks like Allah failed to deliver yet another victory against the infidels.....

Com'on Muslims...think...think

10 posted on 12/11/2001 11:32:35 AM PST by Dallas

"Eight-year-old Lubna, whose father Shah Hakeem hasn't returned, said she will have to give up school. ``There is no one to take care of us. I wish he hadn't gone to Afghanistan,'' she said. "

It's a shame that a father's sin should be paid for by his children.....

However, I have no empathy for the Pakistani Taliban.....If we could have politically, I beleive we should have continued to bomb them all the way into Pakistan.....

NeverGore

11 posted on 12/11/2001 11:32:39 AM PST by nevergore

What a heart-wrenching story. I can hardly see to type through my tears.
12 posted on 12/11/2001 11:32:49 AM PST by Russ

Comment #13 Removed by Moderator

Pakistanis fired with religious fervor poured into Afghanistan by the thousands to fight alongside the Taliban. Now, many are feared dead, those who have straggled home are traumatized and the families of the missing can only pray and curse the clerics who sent them.

stupid is as stupid does........

14 posted on 12/11/2001 11:34:10 AM PST by CROSSHIGHWAYMAN

Hmmmm, I think this would be a fine example of "learning your lesson the hard way."
15 posted on 12/11/2001 11:34:26 AM PST by Dog Gone

I'm wondering what these folks thought was going to happen? Did they think we'd send in a platoon like Clintoon in Somalia?

HEY!! Welcome to the 20th century! We can catch up on the 21st century later.

16 posted on 12/11/2001 11:35:14 AM PST by <1/1,000,000th%

GOOD! Now stand-by we have more in store for them. And NO I do not feel sorry for them! And NO again, we aren’t going to build their country up after it is destroyed either. Why are we blamed for their lifestyle? Who won the monopoly game, THE ARIBS did with their oil. Why doesn't anyone blame them? NO we are being held responsible. I DON'T HAVE ONE DAMM BIT OF PITTY FOR THOSE PEOPLE. NONE!
17 posted on 12/11/2001 11:35:22 AM PST by Lowell

To: Russ
Friends may call...
18 posted on 12/11/2001 11:35:33 AM PST by Eric in the Ozarks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Eight-year-old Lubna, whose father Shah Hakeem hasn't returned, said she will have to give up school.

LOL!

A Taliban shahid who allows his daughter to go to school? No wonder Allah struck him down!

Don't worry, Lubna. The best tribute you could give to your father's idiocy is to drop out of school like his fearless leaders would have wanted you to.

I hope this little girl will have the chance to go to a real school and grow up to understand what peace and freedom mean and what a pathetic loser her father was.

19 posted on 12/11/2001 11:36:23 AM PST by wideawake

"It was hell."

What did you expect? That's what you get when you serve the Devil.

"...people are furious with clerics. 'They themselves returned unscathed, but left others to die'..."

Send in the Jesuits, the Mormons, the Presbyterians, the Methodists. These people should be ripe for conversion, and anything would be better than what they've got now!

20 posted on 12/11/2001 11:39:46 AM PST by Savage Beast

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-51 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson