Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Would you like to know Jesus better?
ACP ^ | around 45 AD | Matthew

Posted on 12/22/2001 7:59:14 AM PST by Alas

Would you like to know Jesus better?

Since it is the birthday of the Lord Jesus, Messiah Yeshua, we are within days of celebrating, would this not be a good time to get to know Him better?

The Gospel of Matthew chapters 1-25

TOPICS: Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

1 posted on 12/22/2001 7:59:14 AM PST by Alas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Alas
The folks at Bartleby.com have done a really nice job formatting the KJV:
Gospel according to Matthew

KJV

2 posted on 12/22/2001 8:51:20 AM PST by SlickWillard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I was looking through the gospel you linked... past all the begats and all... I can't find any mention of exactly WHEN Jesus was born.

Seems odd. Perhaps it's recorded somewhere else in the Bible?

3 posted on 12/22/2001 9:58:19 AM PST by ez2muz

To: ez2muz
Seems odd. Perhaps it's recorded somewhere else in the Bible?

No, not to the best of my knowledge. As a matter of fact, I think most agree the Lord was born in the fall of the year, probably in late october or early november.

But that said, the date is not what is important, it is the idea of celebrating the birth of the Saviour of the world. The coming of God to earth in the form of a baby named Jesus, fulfilling tons of prophecy.

Now think for a moment, as for the date, if you had adopted a son or daughter and were not sure when that child was born, would you let that child go through life without ever having celebrated a birthday? Or would you pick a date and use it as the date to celebrate that child's birth? You would probably pick a date and use it for that childs birthday, even though you knew you were probably incorrect. Why? Because you love that child and wish to have a special day just for him or her.

And such is CHRISTmas with many of us. Correct or incorrect date, only God knows, but, I'm sure He is not upset by our setting a day aside to focus on and remember His arrival here on earth as a babe.

Alas

4 posted on 12/22/2001 10:49:35 AM PST by Alas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: SlickWillard
Yes they have done a nice job. What we are doing is putting a KJV on line that folks will be able to down load as a complete bible, formatting it the way they would like, such as some are downloading it with only half the page used for text so that the other half can be notes, others are downloading it in large type so as to be better able to read it.

I don't think there is another project like this on the net, and would love your comments.

Alas

5 posted on 12/22/2001 11:06:17 AM PST by Alas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

"...if you had adopted a son or daughter and were not sure when that child was born, would you let that child go through life without ever having celebrated a birthday?"

Good point.

So let's see how those of Bible times celebrated the day of their birth.
We would want our adopted child to follow Christ's example and hence be "Christ-like", correct?

So let's look into the Bible and find examples of how Christ himself celebrated his birth and what he had to say about it.

Perhaps there are examples of Christ's disciples celebrating the birth of their Lord? ... or their own birth?

When you find Biblical birthday examples, please post the scripture reference for me.
Thanks.

6 posted on 12/22/2001 11:23:18 AM PST by ez2muz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Alas; SlickWillard
I don't think there is another project like this on the net, and would love your comments.

The New English Translation.

The NET Bible is perhaps the most researched English translation of the Bible ever. Among other things it's the first "beta-tested" translation, taking comments and thoughts from not only biblical scholars, but average everyday people who have sought to understand God's Word to the utmost. It's also the first translation that has first been published on the Internet. It's absolutely free, but be ready for a hefty download: the footnotes are VERY extensive!

7 posted on 12/22/2001 11:31:11 AM PST by Darth Sidious
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

So what's wrong with celebrating Christ's birth? Or our own for that matter? Please point to scriptural references for that if you would
8 posted on 12/22/2001 11:37:01 AM PST by billbears
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: billbears
"So what's wrong with celebrating Christ's birth? Or our own for that matter?"

What makes you think I find anything wrong with it?

I just asked for scriptural reference to Birthday celebrations.

9 posted on 12/22/2001 11:43:35 AM PST by ez2muz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

I don't think there is a scriptual reference for celebrating birthdays(at least not one that I know of) but there isn't one for not celebrating them either.
10 posted on 12/22/2001 11:49:11 AM PST by billbears
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

"I don't think there is a scriptual reference for celebrating birthdays(at least not one that I know of) ...but there isn't one for not celebrating them either."

Really?
You seem skeptical about the former and positive about the latter.
How hard have you looked?

Wasn't the man known as John the Baptist heavily involved in a birthday celebration?

11 posted on 12/22/2001 12:17:05 PM PST by ez2muz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

So John the Baptist getting his head cut off at a birthday celebration would be your argument against them? Personally I imagine the adulterous relationship Herod was in was a little more important an issue than where John was beheaded. The why, instead of the where
12 posted on 12/22/2001 4:03:01 PM PST by billbears
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

A JW, perhaps? The bible doesn't tell me to, or not to, eat M&Ms, but I do. The Biblw doesn't say not to celebrate.
13 posted on 12/22/2001 4:31:00 PM PST by PatrioticAmerican
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: ez2muz;billbears;Alas
It's tough for one to pin down that the birth even really occurred, as the Jewish historian Josephus is the only other direct bigraphical reference outside the synoptic gospels, and many feel that his mentions of "Jesus, who was the Christ," are in fact, later christian insertions to his work on the Jewish/Roman war.

Though it wouldn't really matter for me if it were fiction since, who's to say that isn't the way God works?

That the greatest story ever told were invented, is yet a testament to human innovation, which emanates from God, and heralds "unto life everlasting" as still very real, as God through the mind is as real as the existence it thinks in.

And, by a minor mangling of Dickens'Christmas Carol), "these are among those many things from which I think Christmas has done me good, and will do me good. And I say, God Bless It!"

14 posted on 12/22/2001 4:34:00 PM PST by onedoug
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

"So John the Baptist getting his head cut off at a birthday celebration would be your argument against them?"

No, it's not my argument. The Bible can speak for itself.
Namely: two examples of birthday celebrations... two deaths.

"Personally I imagine the adulterous relationship Herod was in was a little more important an issue than where John was beheaded."

The one would not have happened without the other; the adultery and John's standing against Salome are issues worth pondering on their own merits.

"The why, instead of the where "

I understand your point - kind of a priority of importance.
There is a school of thought that says John's death at Herod's hand prefigured Christ's death.
If one takes the time to understand why, the importance of Christ's death greatly pales his birth.

15 posted on 12/22/2001 5:02:39 PM PST by ez2muz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Praise God.

I have been desiring more of Jesus for the last two weeks.

It is fun when you can sense his call.

I walk down my 1/4 mile driveway in Long Island, Virginia and I just meditate on his word, his grace and mercy, his sacrifice, his anointing, glory, power...

...patience with me, patience with my family, his love...

...and ultimately his judgement against my enemy.

Man God is awesome.

16 posted on 12/22/2001 5:07:28 PM PST by VaBthang4

To: onedoug
"...a minor mangling of Dickens'Christmas Carol), "these are among those many things from which I think Christmas has done me good, and will do me good. And I say, God Bless It!"

Yes. I look forward to Christmas every year as well; this year more than others in fact.

Christmas as we know it today has certainly done much good. I say God Bless it as well!

17 posted on 12/22/2001 5:10:08 PM PST by ez2muz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: All

DON'T LET THE DEVIL STEEL YOUR JOY

18 posted on 12/22/2001 5:17:40 PM PST by Dubya

To: Dubya
Nehemiah 8 10

Then he said to them, ""Go, eat of the fat, drink of the sweet, and <*1> send portions to him who has nothing prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.''

LORD THANK YOU FOR SENDING YOUR SON

19 posted on 12/22/2001 5:22:35 PM PST by Dubya
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: PatrioticAmerican
"A JW, perhaps? The bible doesn't tell me to, or not to, eat M&Ms, but I do. The Biblw doesn't say not to celebrate.

No, but I have read through their beliefs; I've also spent time talking with Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists (they're right about Saturday BTW), Catholics, Pentecostals (mostly for entertainment), some exposure to "The Navigators", a group of Born-again types know as the "Alliance Churchs", etc...

I find looking at different points of views and beliefs help refine my own perspectives.
Much like this forum.
That said, I try to always temper the ideas with the Bible.

I like M&M's too.
LOL.

20 posted on 12/22/2001 5:26:55 PM PST by ez2muz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson