Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Massive Indian troops build-up along Pak border
Pakistan News Service (PNS) ^ | 12/23/2001 | Pakistani News Service (PNS)

Posted on 12/23/2001 6:48:39 AM PST by Smogger

Exchange of fire across LoC; Azad Kashmir put on a war footing

Updated on 2001-12-23 11:54:16

ISLAMABAD: India has moved massive numbers of troops to the border with Pakistan and the disputed boundary in Kashmir "in a very aggressive posture", a Pakistani military official said on Saturday.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041 next last
"In this corner weighing in at 1.2 billion people.."
1 posted on 12/23/2001 6:48:40 AM PST by Smogger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Smogger
Massive Indian troops build-up along Pak border

Hmmm...interesting wording there...I'm envisioning a squad of 8 ft tall, 350 pound behemoths standing at the border lifting weights.

2 posted on 12/23/2001 6:52:23 AM PST by Future Snake Eater
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

But Allah is with you, Pakistan. Look how he granted victory to the Taliban and Al-Qaeda faithful in Afghanistan. It was the greatest triumph for a Muslim army since the "Mother of All Battles" in Iraq. Within days, all of the Indian subcontinent will fall into your lap like an overripe fruit. < /sarcasm>
3 posted on 12/23/2001 6:55:45 AM PST by longleaf

To: longleaf
Just as long there is no mushroom clouds I don't care if they have a war.
4 posted on 12/23/2001 6:56:52 AM PST by KevinDavis
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Future Snake Eater
Hmmm...interesting wording there...I'm envisioning a squad of 8 ft tall, 350 pound behemoths standing at the border lifting weights.

Coached, no doubt, by 'Libyan Strongman Moammar Khadaffi'. I have heard that phrase so many times in the news that my mental image of him would give Arnie a serious run for his money.

5 posted on 12/23/2001 7:01:47 AM PST by Riley
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

There will NOT be a war between Pakistan and India. I'm part of a small minority that believes this (the small minority ammounts to me) but I'm confident in my belief.
6 posted on 12/23/2001 7:05:46 AM PST by ChicagoRepublican

To: longleaf
LOL!
7 posted on 12/23/2001 7:19:13 AM PST by knighthawk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: KevinDavis
I don't think that a few nukes lobbed back and forth over there will cause too much turmoil for us. It may even be the best thing to happen to India since British imperialism.
8 posted on 12/23/2001 7:28:49 AM PST by antienvironmentalist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Wonder if they will finally settle this matter once and for all?
9 posted on 12/23/2001 7:35:47 AM PST by wasp69

To: ChicagoRepublican
Why? What leads you to think so?
10 posted on 12/23/2001 7:37:30 AM PST by Alas Babylon!
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Islam - 1.2 billion versis China - 1.2 billion versis India - 1.1 billion.

Pagan/Athiest Smackdown.
11 posted on 12/23/2001 7:49:16 AM PST by hsszionist

There will NOT be a war between Pakistan and India. I'm part of a small minority that believes this (the small minority ammounts to me) but I'm confident in my belief.

And you wear rose-colored glasses, fool.

12 posted on 12/23/2001 7:54:07 AM PST by BullDog108
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Alas Babylon!
The United States is doing everything they possibly can to get India to not attack. The Indian government is under intense pressure right now, and I think they will fold. The Kargil conflict in 1999 was pretty intense too, but it never resulted in an all out war, and India did not cross the LoC.
13 posted on 12/23/2001 7:54:55 AM PST by ChicagoRepublican
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: hsszionist
Hey! a billion here & billion there pretty soon you are talking about a lot of dead pagans! Even so plenty left over to cause us to keep on the lookout!
14 posted on 12/23/2001 8:17:22 AM PST by Windy-Dave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Windy-Dave
Vast numbers are in within our own borders.
15 posted on 12/23/2001 8:26:24 AM PST by hsszionist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

If India is rational, they will not start a war. It is not winnable by either side because the victor could not rule over the other country afterward.

The new ingredient of nukes makes the cost of fighting such a pointless war too high for either side.

The only possible outcome is that one side loses or both sides do, with the latter being far more likely.

So, India will not start a war unless they are basically insane, something I'm not ruling out at this point.

16 posted on 12/23/2001 8:28:43 AM PST by Dog Gone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Riley
Libyan Strongman Moammar Khadaffi

I'm waiting to see if he will lead the Libyan Olympic team into the stadium. :~)

17 posted on 12/23/2001 8:28:46 AM PST by MindBender26
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

And the only reason they didn't go to war then was because Pakistan pulled out of the region. And even in 99, they didn't recall their envoys as they did yesterday
18 posted on 12/23/2001 8:32:02 AM PST by billbears

The United States is doing everything they possibly can to get India to not attack.

We outta be minding our own business. I am sick of all of this "pot calling the kettle black" crap. If Congress had been hit by terrorist sponsored by Mexico or Candada is their little doubt that we would attack? This is the same as our poo pooing when the Russians went back into Checkneya. I say we let India do whatever India feels is necessary to protect its interests.

19 posted on 12/23/2001 8:41:44 AM PST by Smogger

If Congress had been hit by terrorist sponsored by Mexico or Candada is their little doubt that we would attack?

Of course not. But there's no evidence that the attack on India was sponsored by Pakistan.

We've seen some evidence that Pakistanis are responsible but no evidence that it was an action approved by the Pakistan government.

In fact, it is extremely unlikely that the government would choose to do such a thing. The Parliament attack wouldn't have advanced any of Pakistan's goals and it certainly would have jeopardized everything that Musharraf has done in aligning Pakistan with America on the war on terrorism.

More likely, it was an attack by a group aligned with al-Qaida, in an effort to provoke a war against Pakistan. That would require Musharraf to pull his troops away from the Afghan border and made it easier for bin Laden and his followers to flee into Pakistan.

If India were rational, they would provide whatever evidence they have to Pakistan so that they could arrest anyone responsible. Instead, India is playing right into the hands of the terrorists.

20 posted on 12/23/2001 8:50:46 AM PST by Dog Gone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson