Since Jan 16, 2012
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves benefits from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury.
Freedom is the key word, and big government is the anti-thesis of freedom. National debt is the hi-way to our demise.
A cost effective universal healthcare should have these features:
1. 100% private health insurance, not run by government.
2. Ability to buy insurance out of state.
3. No mandate to buy government defined insurance coverage
if you are male no need for mammogram or pap smear coverage.
4. Catastrophic only health insurance available, especially for younger folks.
5. Limits on mal-practice awards based on actual damage.
6. Availability of prescription drug insurance through a group policy.
7. Portability of health insurance when changing jobs.
8. Tax deductible Health savings accounts contributed by employer.
So you are in charge, not the insurance company or government.
Note that Obamacare expressly forbids majority of above items.
I went through an emergency cholecystectomy surgery after suffering unimaginable pain episode. I will not tolerate any American citizen to be denied the same access I had to the nearest hospital, simply because he/she can not afford good health insurance. Some form of free market, capitalist structured universal healthcare is a necessity for every American citizen