Since Jan 16, 2012
A cost effective universal healthcare should have these features:
1. 100% private health insurance, not run by government.
2. Ability to buy insurance out of state.
3. No mandate to buy government defined insurance coverage
if you are male no need for mammogram or pap smear coverage.
4. Catastrophic only health insurance available,
especially for younger folks, which is much cheaper.
5. Limits on mal-practice awards based on actual damage.
6. Availability of prescription drug insurance through a group policy.
7. Portability of health insurance when changing jobs.
8. Tax deductible Health savings accounts contributed by employer.
So you are in charge, not the insurance company or government.
Note that Obamacare expressly forbids majority of above items.
Without a universal healthcare, sick people wait too long to get tested and be treated early, and then the disease gets more advanced, costing much more to treat.
I went through an emergency cholecystectomy surgery after suffering unimaginable pain episode. I will not tolerate any American citizen to be denied the same access I had to the nearest hospital, simply because he/she can not afford good health insurance. Some form of free market, capitalist structured universal healthcare is a necessity for every American citizen. I am 100% AGAINST any single payer healthcare. Just look at the fraud and cost of Medicare, which is a single payer system for people over age 65.