Skip to comments.Couple In Critical Condition From CO Poisoning (MN)
Posted on 12/29/2009 7:30:02 PM PST by ButThreeLeftsDo
A St. Paul couple is in critical condition after being poisoned by carbon monoxide in their home on the 1000 block of Hague Avenue.
The St. Paul Fire Department said the couple's son came home and found them unconscious in their bed and called 911 around 3:50 p.m. The fire department arrived and took John Nordeen, 67, and his wife, Nancy, 62, to Hennepin County Medical Center.
Firefighters found 300 parts per million of carbon monoxide in the home, which is toxic. The basement of the home had more than 850 parts per million.
Firefighter suspect the poisoning could've been caused by a malfunction in the boiler in the basement.
The family did not have a CO detector in the home. It is Minnesota state law to have one near rooms used for sleeping.
Folks, if you don't have one, or two....please, get them.
We need ALL of you.
Way to go!
Just changed the batteries in ours.
Prayers for this couple and their family.
When I bought units for myself and my Mom and my sister, I was informed that the units are effective for about five years. They have battery indicators on their face.
I was told to take a sharpie and write the install date on the unit and then replace the unit five years from that date.
Thanx. I didn’t do that, but will be certain to do it the next time I buy them.
The beeps were loud enough to burst an eardrum when I changed the batteries, so I think they’re ok for now.
The info says to check them every week.
Mine is plug in. If I lose power the gas furnace won’t run either.
Ours plug in, with a 9v battery back up.
Some have perished when the power goes out and they fire up an old wood-burner that they haven’t used nor inspected/cleaned for years.....
I hate waking up to loud beeps.....
I can't remember the brand, I know they were not expensive, under $10 each, got them at Home Depot. Most any will do the job, these cheap ones proved their worth.
If the furnace has a pilot light then get a battery powered monitor. Pilot lights usually still burn power or no. If you have a gas hot water heater, oven, or dyrer same thing same risk. Any gas or fuel oil operated appliance or unit warrants a battery powered detector. It's money well spent.
Well, at least it was only CO. If it had been CO2 as the Supreme Court has deemed it to be a dangerous pollutant, they might not have been so lucky.
Twice as deadly...
From the book: CURING THE INCURABLE, Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases and Toxins
“...suggested that treating patients with any form of smoke inhalation (which has resulted in Carbon Monoxide Poisoning) with Vitamin C at a dose of 500 mg/kg body weight will immediately negate the toxic effects of the carbon monoxide.
(Great book as a resource, author is Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD)
A popular title. There’s also:
Curing the incurable : how to use your body’s natural self-healing ability to overcome M.S. and other diseases / Jacque C. Rigg.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.