Skip to comments.Teen Dies From Muscle Cream Overdose (Ben Gay Alert)
Posted on 06/08/2007 1:38:21 PM PDT by AmericanMade1776
A budding teenage athlete has died after 'overdosing' on a common topical muscle cream.
The medical examiner announced on Thursday that the 17-year-old track star, Arielle Newman of Castleton Corners, N.Y., died from a toxic dose of sports cream, the Staten Island Advance reported.
Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's officer told the Advance that the Notre Dame Academy track star's blood contained lethal amounts of methyl salicylate, the active ingredient found in muscle rubs such as BenGay and Icy Hot.
Borakove said the petite girl used the topical medication excessively, allowing the poisons to accumulate in her body over an undetermined amount of time.
Newman was found dead in her home on April 3. The initial autopsy was inconclusive, which led to speculation her death was linked to a party she had attended the night before. "I am glad this shows (Arielle) didn't die of her own doing. But this is a tragedy that could have been avoided," her mother, Alice Newman told the Advance.
Methyl salicylate, also known as oil of wintergreen, can be toxic if overused, but deaths from topical application are extremely rare.
Borakove said this was the first case she had come across in 20 years at the medical examiner's office.
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
Hmmmm...I had a dog years ago that ate a tube of Ben Gay and I called the vet and he said not to worry about it. The dog lived, I guess humans must be more sensitive to it.
Poor thing. RIP
I can see it now:
Attorney: "Ben Gay did her in".
Judge: "Bein' gay has done a lot of people in".
Attorney: "No, BEN gay".
Judge: "That's what I said".
Oh, never mind.
Poisoning from swallowing the substance is more likely, but death from ingesting it is still very uncommon. Just one teaspoon of pure methyl salicylate can be fatal if swallowed by a child.
Putting a face to the incident, really makes it sad.
Wow, didn’t know Ben Gay could do you in.
They're a lot of kinky things going on today.
I smell lawsuit!
I don’t think it is more like there is more Excesses by young people, some who think if a little is good, a whole lot is better.
That was a mistake.
Even Aspirin can do you in, if you take too much of it. But I really never thought something like a linament rub could do you in, thought it was worthy to put in Free Republic, because I am sure there are a few in here who probably use some Ben Gay or Icy Hot occasionally.
What happened mikeus, to make it a mistake?
It was pretty common back in the '80's when I played soccer in high school and college (no jokes...it was long time ago and I'm feeling much better now, thank you).
These days he calls himself benburch.
Nope. Ben Gay is a homosexual Israeli.
Although stated badly, it seems to mean that she did not commit suicide.
I see alot of BenGay jokes but no IcyHot jokes.
Lets see; IcyHot.........hmmm....I see hot....Eye see hot....
Well, maybe just stick with BenGay.
WHat was a mistake was Atomic Balm oozing into the shorts after a run :>(
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.