Skip to comments.Don't Chew Gum..it can kill you.
Posted on 06/05/2008 6:04:42 AM PDT by fings
For those of you that can walk and chew gum at the same time, heres an article you must read.
(WILMINGTON -- An artificial sweetener can be deadly for dogs, and a local dog owner learned that the hard way.
Anna Frazelle rushed her dog, Scout, to the Dineen Animal Hospital when she noticed her King Charles Spaniel acting strange.
"He was using the wall to hold himself up," said Frazelle.
She was shocked by the diagnosis of sugar free gum poisoning.
Sugar free gum contains Zylatol, a sugar substitute found in almost any sugar free food, which can be deadly for dogs.
Veterinarians said they are most often concerned about Zylatol contained in gum because one stick can kill a 20 pound dog.
"It makes the pancreas release a tremendous amount of insulin all at once, it puts the dog into extreme hypoglycemia and that's where most dogs die, they die within the first hour," said Dr. Jeff Dineen.
If you fear your dog has swallowed gum, but on the lookout for symptoms such as weakness and uncoordinated movements.
According to Dr. Dineen, ridding your dog's system of the gum by vomiting is the first step in recovery.
Luckily, Scout eventually recovered.
For more information on Zylatol poisoning contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 or on the web, here.
Reported by Carmin Black)
Check out Is Tap Water Safe For Your Dog @ http://boknowsonline.com/2008/06/02/is-tap-water-safe-for-your-dog/
I think what the author means is Xylitol.
Xylitol is safe for human consumption. It is a natural sugar found in certain trees.
The Finns, IIRC, have used it for decades as a sugar substitute.
Dogs have different digestive systems, and we can’t extrapolate their systems to behave like ours.
So if a 100 pound human chomps on 5 sticks, they bite the bullet also???
What kind of an idiot would let their DOG chew gum of any kind?
If you thought a 5 year old KID could get gum all over the place...
“Veterinarians said they are most often concerned about Zylatol contained in gum because one stick can kill a 20 pound dog.”
So, is there a DIRECT relationship?
I mean, let’s say I wanted to kill an 80 pound dog? Would 4 sticks do it?
...and what about a 10 pounder? Can I get by with half a stick?
This article lacks a lot of details. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to use this information.
Somebody slipped me some Xylitol!
I’ve read that Xylitol will actually reverse the beginnings of minor decay in teeth.
i think the author is trying to be inflammatory and has not researched the information very much. ( just ran with one statement.)
I doubt it can reverse it. It’s a sugar that bacteria that causes plaque, can’t digest. So maybe because new plaque isn’t forming, the old deposits just wear away, and the whole process appears like a reversal.
Think of all the discarded gum on the ground (around ashtrays at the entrances to buildings, dropped in the grass or on the sidewalk).
Now how many birds, squirrels, dogs, etc. could happen across that gum?
Are we going to go to caning gum chewers in America or banning the substance?
Here’s the plan: we make gum illegal and then allow the police to raid homes searching for gum. If any dogs are encountered, they can be shot on sight.
First off, I thought he was just a Prince...
And secondly, that is a terrible way to talk about Camilla
I would not want the dogs to die with bad teeth.
I am on board with you on that. It is the only way the “gub’mit” can solve this horrible problem that is plaguing our society.
My 8 year old daughter ended up in the hospital with a very severe stomach ache caused by aspartame in sugarless gum.
So if I throw up, my dog is okay?
The link you used http://boknowsonline.com/2008/06/02/is-tap-water-safe-for-your-dog/ did not match the title nor the content of the article and has been replaced.
We're trying to reduce the number of threads we need to pull, so please just use the original published title, provide the original source name and always provide a working link which goes to the article at the original source.
But you must throw up ON the sick dog. That pi$$es the dog off and then it forgets it is sick.
Whoops! This morning I gave the dog my son’s leftover cinnamon/”sugar” toast...sprinkled generously with xylitol. He’s just laying on the ac vent not moving. Wait, he does that all the time.
Seriously, thanks for posting this. I had no idea dogs shouldn’t have it.
This is a King Charles Spaniel BTTT.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.