Skip to comments.Teen extinguishes dad with Coke
Posted on 04/23/2010 7:48:37 AM PDT by JoeProBono
MULLION, England, - A British 15-year-old is being credited with saving his father's life by using a bottle of Coke to extinguish flames that engulfed him.
Andrew Wythe, 52, of Mullion, England, said he was pouring gasoline on a garden bonfire Sunday when the flames grew to engulf the front of his body, The Sun reported Thursday.
He said he ran toward his son, Nicholas, 15, for help and the teenager grabbed a two liter bottle of Coca-Cola, shook it up and sprayed the contents on his father.
"The fire went out straight away," Wythe said. "He's a very level-headed boy. Without Nicholas it would have been a lot worse, without a doubt. I was lucky really."
Wythe said he suffered burns to his neck, chest and ears and will require skin grafts.
“said he was pouring gasoline on a garden bonfire”
My guess is HE wasn’t drinking Coke.
I guess the son represents the next evolutionary rung because the father should have been selected out a while back.
Maybe Richard Pryor should have tried that . . . oh, different kind of coke . . . nevermind. :)
Have a Coke and a smile
When I was a teen, my sister’s bed in the basement bedroom caught fire (bad outlet next to blankets). I grabbed the dehumidifier bucket to put it out. Later I found out that you aren’t supposed to use water on electrical fires. It worked out anyway.
Pouring gasoline on a bonfire. My, what an unusual way to get burned.
“...was pouring gasoline on a garden bonfire...”
I’m tempted to make an argument here about wasting Coke. That stuff is getting expensive now, you know.
“I’d like to teach the world to singe...”
Yes. And Richard Pryor had some catching fire incident related to coke.
And has this fellow never heard "Stop, Drop, and Roll" before?
Barbecue Lighter is much safer...you don’t get as paranoid when you are playing with it as you do with gasoline.
Stuff happens. When I was about 13, my dad was refinishing some floors and gave me a large bag of sawdust and told me to ‘go out back and burn it.’ Put it in the 55 gallon drum we used for burning. Mixed in some newspapers, lit the newspapers. Nothing. Mixed in some MORE newspapers - just smoldered. Figuring that pouring on gasoline would be a bad thing, I went to the garage, got some more newspapers and a shovel. Mixed it all up, lit the newspapers. As expected, more smoldering, so I stirred up the sawdust with the shovel.
I was told later that the resultant mushroom cloud was most impressive.
Glad he didn’t use one of the many beer mugs that must have been sitting around.
I guess he wasn’t DRINKING coke.
Kid was a lot smarter than the dad.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.