Skip to comments.“Volunteer” Forced Student Labor
Posted on 07/28/2013 7:26:07 AM PDT by rktman
Empty communist rhetoric, indoctrination, social justice/equality promises by deceptive elitist governments
(Excerpt) Read more at canadafreepress.com ...
There are leftists (who have never done this sort of work, of course) who look at children being forced to be peasant farmers and think, “If only we could do that in America...”.
It’s all about control.
And some high schools and colleges require some form of community service... besides grades and SAT scores, you must do volunteer work to get into some colleges...
If a private college requires volunteer work as a criteria for admission...meh, it's their choice, as silly as I find it.
Requiring community service to graduate from a public high school is despicable.
“.. requiring community service to graduate .... is despicable”.
SSL is known as Student Service Learning. My kids refer to it as Socialist Slave Labor. 75 hours is mandatory to graduate; however, many colleges prefer more hours.
I just googled SSL and read a few websites about it.
What sort of Socialist Slave Labor have your kids been forced to participate in?
There are two types: pre-approved and approved. Basically, you can “volunteer” for any sort of business/job as long as it has a tax free/not for profit status. However, you cannot volunteer for any religious organization unless it serves all sorts of folks. My son has volunteered each summer to clean up a pond (under the supervision of a coordinator), volunteered at a senior living facility, and babysat younger kids at PTA meetings. My daughter has volunteered at the elementary school level watching kids during PTA meetings and had some hours given to her during her VP role in SGA. The trick (and yes.. there is a trick to it) is to start early... the summer before entering sixth grade. The trick is to contact the school’s SSl coordinator and make nice, too. Some of them won’t approve an idea and only approve those the county have pre-approved. Many of those activities are just plain nuts.. for example, IMHO, no middle school child should serve food at a homeless shelter due to some personal risk. They have actually had some horrible incidents during that type of activity.
What I found amazing is when all of this was first suggested. You would be amazed at how many parents (many that called themselves conservatives) that thought this was a good idea. When I asked what they felt if it was mandated for all adults.. well, the response was different. What amuses me somewhat is the state decided this was a good idea so that children learned about people who needed help. IMHO, it has done the opposite. I have heard some not so nice responses from teens who volunteered at soup kitchens and the overall response to nursing homes is that they would rather fly a plane into a barn then to get Alzheimers. I have not heard one positive comment from any of them and that includes numerous friends. It is essentially something to be done with gritted teeth.
“besides grades and SAT scores, you must do volunteer work to get into some colleges...”
Thats true but its volunteer. You don’t have to apply to those colleges unless you want to.
It is voluntary today... you know how things come about...
My friends kid had to do the equivalent of 3 DUI’s with a vehicular homicide hours of community service to graduate high school. He is now a full on conservative, especially after working food bank type things. He said perhaps 5% of the people who showed up for free food were legitimate cases, and the other 95% were fat lazy worthless dregs of society, who were much more rude than a gaggle of unattended 4 year olds with a mouth full of abscessed teeth.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.