Posted on 03/06/2004 1:29:28 PM PST by Cincinatus' Wife
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - Blowing whistles and chanting, hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans marched through Caracas on Saturday to protest the rejection of a petition aimed at recalling President Hugo Chavez.
Protesters streamed toward a central avenue from several gathering points in the capital, many dressed from head to toe in the national colors of red, yellow and blue. Officials said at least 500,000 people took part.
"It doesn't matter how many obstacles they put in our way!" bellowed opposition leader Enrique Mendoza, to an eruption of cheers. "Don't let them intimidate us!"
The march was peaceful, in contrast with last week's demonstrations. At least eight people were killed and hundreds arrested in five days of rioting set off by the National Elections Council's decision.
One protester's sign read: "I'm not armed. Don't shoot! I'm Venezuelan."
Emilia Duran, 72, wore a shirt that read "my signature counts."
"I want my grandchildren to live in liberty," she said.
The council accepted only 1.8 million of the 3 million-plus signatures submitted by opposition leaders in December. The minimum required is 2.4 million.
The council demanded confirmation of 1 million signatures, citing procedural violations. Another 140,000 signatures were rejected outright.
"We're prepared to take to the streets a thousand times until we're allowed the recall referendum," said opposition leader Henry Ramos Allup. "Nobody is going to rob us of our right to oust Hugo Chavez peacefully."
Opposition leaders have appealed to the Organization of American States and the U.S.-based Carter Center for support, saying the stability of the world's fifth-biggest oil exporter is at stake.
Street violence abated last week after the OAS and Carter Center promised to help ensure that citizens would have a chance to prove they signed. Negotiations over the process continued Saturday.
Venezuela is sharply split between those who fear Chavez is trying to install Cuba-style dictatorship and those who say he has given a political voice to the impoverished majority. The president's six-year term ends in 2007. The constitution allows recalls halfway through an elected official's term.
Chavez insists election officials have reason to suspect the petition is fraudulent. In a two-hour speech to foreign ambassadors Friday, the president displayed copies of petition forms bearing the names of foreigners, minors and people long deceased. But he promised to respect the council's final decision on whether to hold the referendum - and to abide by the outcome of any eventual vote.
Chavez also denied National Guard troops committed abuses while trying to control rioting last week. He said his opponents, who burned tires, blocked roads and hurled gasoline bombs at soldiers, instigated the violence.
He accused the United States of spreading lies about his government and urged foreign governments to condemn U.S. intrusion in Venezuelan affairs.
Chavez Says Majority (People) On Petition Don't Exist ***Responding to a question, he also said that while the opposition might succeed, "I don't think it will happen because the majority of those people don't even exist."***
Now, now, now. We don't need to be harsh. Just send him to Cuba. After all he is nothing more than Fidel's buttboy anyway.
And after we knock off Fidel he can join Pineapple Face in a Federal buttpacking prison.
John F'n Kerry demands that that Bush send American and International troops to prop up the Democratically elected header.
Bump!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.