Skip to comments.Here are 10 good reasons why the global-warming issue can be put to rest
Posted on 12/19/2005 4:51:50 AM PST by johnandrhonda
Yes: Here are 10 good reasons why the global-warming issue can be put to rest Monday, December 19, 2005 DENNIS T. AVERY
The Kyoto Protocol has died. None of its supporters has cut carbon-dioxide emissions, and their big Montreal meeting this month failed again to agree on future cuts.
With apologies to David Letterman, the top 10 reasons to rejoice over the death of Kyoto are:
(10) Wind farms are expensive and really ugly. They kill birds and bats. Nor do they produce much electricity when really needed, during daylight hours. Kyoto would have planted them over huge stretches
(9) None of the sanctimonious coun tries backing Kyoto have cut their carbon-dioxide emissions since they joined the greenhouse club. Britain closed its antique coal pits and shifted to North Sea natural gas earlier, and Germany says it will cut emissions by half a percent. Smug Canada is 20 percent over its Kyoto allotment for carbon-dioxide emissions.
(8) Contrary to media reports, the oceans coral reefs arent dying from the heat. They bleach whenever the sea temperature changes, ejecting the algae partners that help them digest food and picking new partners adapted to the new heat or cold. Thats how theyve survived Ice Ages and the climate optimum 7,000 years ago that was much warmer than today.
(7) The Pacific islands arent being flooded. More than 90 percent of the worlds remaining ice is in Antarctica and Greenland, where measurements show the ice sheets are growing. Sea levels have been rising at a slow 6 inches per century, with no acceleration in the past 150 years.
(6) Kyoto wouldnt make any real difference to global warming. A 5 percent cut in greenhouse emissions is ridiculous if warming is truly manmade and dangerous. Kyoto members would have to slash their carbondioxide output by 70 percent to 80 percent to make a real difference.
(5) Biologists cant find a single wildlife species thats extinct due to the warming of the past 150 years. The U.N. Environmental Program says we lost fewer major species in the latter part of the 20 th century than in the latter part of the 19 th. The big reason? We quit clearing First World forests for farming, thanks to high-powered seeds, fertilizers and pesticides.
(4) The claim that global warming will create jobs is simple-minded. We would certainly create jobs if we threw away all our cars and appliances and rebuilt the gasoline stations to handle hydrogen. But we could achieve the same job creation by breaking all our windows and hiring people to replace them. Wed still be poorer.
(3) If global warming isnt dangerous enough to warrant using safe, costeffective nuclear power that generates no greenhouse gases, it isnt serious enough to tax trillions of dollars out of our pockets.
(2) British grapes tell us Earth is having its third warming in 2,000 years. The Romans grew wine grapes in England in the first century, but it was too cold for them during the Dark Ages. The British grew wine grapes in the 12 th century, but again it grew too cold for grapes during the ensuing Little Ice Age, which lasted until 1850. Britain hasnt warmed quite enough to grow wine grapes today, but its up to two good wine years out of 10.
(1) You neednt feel guilty about changing the climate. The long ice cores brought over the past 25 years show Earth has had 600 moderate, natural periods of global warming in the last million years due to variations in our sun. Fossil pollen shows North Americas trees and plants completely reorganized nine times in the past 14,000 years. Temperatures rise suddenly and erratically about 2 degrees Celsius above the mean, and fall 2 degrees Celsius below it during the cold phases. Its natural.
Goodbye, Kyoto. Sayonara.
Dennis T. Avery is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute, a public-policy research organization. Readers may write him at Hudson/DC, 1015 18 th St. NW, Suite 300, Washington, D.C. 20036. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.
wow. nice perspective.
Tks for the post.
Here is an even better reason to believe "Global Warming" may be a solar event rather than a man made event:
"New MGS Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC) images have provided a startling observation: The residual martian south polar cap is changing. The fact that it is changing suggests that Mars may have major, global climate changes that are occurring on the same time scales as Earth's most recent climate shifts, including the last Ice Age.
MOC images of the south polar cap taken in 1999 were compared with images of the same locations taken in 2001, and it was discovered that pits had enlarged, mesas had shrunk, and small buttes had vanished. In all, the scarps that enclose the pits and bound the mesas and buttes retreated about 3 meters (3.3 yards) in 1 martian year (687 Earth days). This rapid retreat of polar scarps can only occur if the ice is frozen carbon dioxide (also known as "dry ice"). Retreat of scarps made of water ice is much slower and would not have been measurable from one martian year to the next."
The full report and pictures may be found here:
So ... Global Warming my a__. Right now its -2.4o where I am.
But...but...but... I was just getting ready to panic and sell my pickup truck!
You're right. Its always Global warming.
But I noticed a typo in my post - I forgot the word NOT.
Post a link to the article. All I get is the front page with no mention of the article you posted.
How much you want fer it?
global warming is clearly a menace! didn't you see The Day After Tomorrow? we are all going to be forced to burn first edition gutenburg bibles to keep warm, but will eventually freeze to death and be eaten by wolves escaped from the Bronx Zoo, all because of Dick Cheney and the evil capitalist bankers and SUVs...
Yup. Heard Rush talking about it some weeks ag, and it's become my stock answer when the question comes up:
If you think our civilization is responsible for global warming, how do you explain that Martian ice caps are melting? How can we, on Earth, cause global warming on Mars? We can't. And we can't cause it here, either.
"PS. F@#$ Ramada!!!"
What have you got against a hotel chain????
Ramadas are okay. I stay in them sometimes.
Too, not To!!
My only question is why oh why is such sanity not heard above the global warming din a trifle more often?
4 degrees here this morning. Yea, love the warming trend we're in.
I like 'em all! Can't wait to shove them down the throats if the nearest sanctimonious lib.
I generally stay at Marriott.
Like this post will file in favorites so I can present it to a few of my liberal friends...thank you
E to, Brute? When you've had 3 hours of sleep from your 2 year old keeping you up all night, "too" happens.
WRONG! It's Carl Rove... if he can make earthquakes and hurricanes, he can melt the ice caps on Mars. GO CARL...grin
Oy, thank goodness those days are long gone!!! :)