Skip to comments.Top 10 Democrat Sex Scandals in Congress
Posted on 10/04/2006 9:09:02 AM PDT by GoBucks2002
Information compiled from the Washington Post, Congressional Sex Scandals in History, and other sources.
10. Sen. Daniel Inouye. The 82-year-old Hawaii Democrat was accused in the 1990s by numerous women of sexual harassment. Democrats cast doubt on the allegations and the Senate Ethics Committee dropped its investigation.
9. Former Rep. Gus Savage. The Illinois Democrat was accused of fondling a Peace Corps volunteer in 1989 while on a trip to Africa. The House Ethics Committee decided against disciplinary action in 1990.
8. Rep. Barney Frank. The outspoken Massachusetts Democrat hired a male prostitute who ran a prostitution service from Franks residence in the 1980s. Only two Democrats in the House of Representatives voted to censure him in 1990.
7. Former Sen. Brock Adams. The late Washington Democrat was forced to stop campaigning after numerous accusations of drugging, assault and rape, the first surfacing in 1988.
6. Former Rep. Fred Richmond. This New York Democrat was arrested in 1978 for soliciting sex from a 16-year-old. He remained in Congress and won re-electionbefore eventually resigning in 1982 after pleading guilty to tax evasion and drug possession.
5. Former Rep. John Young. The late Texas Democrat increased the salary of a staffer after she gave in to his sexual advances. The congressman won re-election in 1976 but lost two years later.
4. Former Rep. Wayne Hays. The late Ohio Democrat hired an unqualified secretary reportedly for sexual acts. Although he resigned from Congress, the Democratic House leadership stalled in removing him from the Administration Committee in 1976.
3. Former Rep. Gerry Studds. He was censured for sexual relationship with underage male page in 1983. Massachusetts voters returned him to office for six more terms.
2. Former Rep. Mel Reynolds. The Illinois Democrat was convicted of 12 counts of sexual assault with a 16-year-old. President Bill Clinton pardoned him before leaving office.
1. Sen. Teddy Kennedy. The liberal Massachusetts senator testified in defense of nephew accused of rape, invoking his family history to win over the jury in 1991.
Yeah, but he admitted to lusting in his heart.
Here is a scenario.
Maybe the sex-filled IM's were from a sting operation years ago and since Foley never acted on them they were kept under wraps. Then when he sent an "overly friendly" e-mail to a page and was just reprimanded to never do that again, and not made to resign, the Dems decided to bring out the smoking gun IM's just before the election.
They know even if Foley had never done a thing to act on any of these IM's the repercussions will be horrendous for the Republicans.
More on the Studds matter:
Congress Gave Tacit OK to Page Abuse
Wow! Wilber Mills and his Fanny Fox didn't even make the top 10.
Also no mention of Wilbur Mills, his was certainly the most "colorful" of the bunch.
Mills and Fanny Fox should have been number 1 simply because of how public the whole thing was.
This whole feigned righteous indignation on the part of the Dems and the media probably only plays with their leftist base. It should have the effect of further emboldening the GOP base to get out and drive a stake through the Democrats' heart in November.
Fanny Fox! I'd forgotten about that one. The whole Tidal Basin incident.
How were these 10 chosen from what must have been thousands I wonder.
and Eleanor almost left FDR after finding out about his mistress.
Reposting a post I put on a couple of threads over the weekend:
Here's a little more info. Found this site earlier today.
Click on the link below if you want to see specifics about each Congresscritter (each of their names is linked on the site)
The 21st Century may be the century of graft and corruption for the Republican Party, but it has a long way to go to catch up with the Democratic BadBoys from the 20th and 19th Centuries.
Who's ahead--Democrats or Republicans? The usual caricature is that Republicans are only interested in stealing money and Democrats are content with sex. Well, let's see. Here's the score card for Congressional Bad Boys. This represents the BadBoys since 1975, those that have their own page on this website (plus a couple more).
Looking at the House Ethics Committee historical list, you'll find that there were 68 Democrats and 34 Republicans, from 1856 through 2004 who were caught up in questionable activity. (Note, the list starts keeping tabs of Democrats versus Republicans in the mid 1850s, once the Republican party was formed. Click here to see beginning of the tally). So, from the House Ethics Committee historical list, the Democrats maintained a healthy two-to-one lead.
A number of the BadBoys listed here and throughout the website are on the House Ethics Committee list, but a surprising number never appeared there or in the Senate Ethics Committee (which does not have an online list). (But check out the punishments given to Senators and Representatives).
The numbers in the table below reflect BadBoys who are highlighted on this website, those who have gotten in trouble since 1975. A couple are mentioned twice, with the second mention in parentheses.
Dems - 56
Repub - 25
Extracurricular Activities Democrats Republicans
Ended up in Jail/Penitentiary
(usually bribery, scams, other forms of greed)
Subtotals: Dems: 28; Rep: 7
J. F. Hastings
Subtotals: Dems: 13; Rep: 5
Probation or House Arrest
Subtotals: Dems: 3; Rep: 2
Drunk, Driving too Fast, Acting Crazy
Subtotals: Dems: 0; Rep: 0
Sex with Teenagers
Subtotals: Dems: 2; Rep: 3
Miscellaneous BadBoy Activities
Subtotals: Dems: 9; Rep: 5
Subtotals: Dems: 3; Rep: 1
15 posted on 10/02/2006 5:43:46 AM PDT by Seattle Conservative (God Bless and protect our troops and their CIC)
Although Kennedy deserves to be # 1, it should not be for the reason the article cited.
How bout that rep. who 'did it' (with his wife) on the steps of congress? From one of the Carolinas I think.
Don't forget, the Democrats National Convention where the Boy Scouts were booed during the US flag presentation.
But in all honesty, they could have been booing the flag, not the Boys Scout due to their refusal to have homosexual scout leaders.
Why the heck are we comparing the 'Pubbies to the Democrats?
One of the reasons we vote for 'Pubbies to get a better class of politicritter.
Democrats have no standard.
This thread proves those that cry "but look what he did" are adolescent and morally starved.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.